Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 02:50 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
That's right, they are all "Highly Qualified" in NJ public schools.

LOL
i did laugh out loud when i saw that under details in my search yesterday. i must admit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 02:52 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
i was happy with all the teachers ive had throughout my education. the only one that stood out and probably was considered by some to be "better" was this guy who would talk to kids about their personal issues. wanted to change lives i guess. all others basically ran program and thats what i like. i know sometimes kids would complain that teachers "didnt teach" and i would think whatever just read the text book and figure it out. nothing through grade 12 is particularly complicated.

getting good grades was always my responsibility, not the teachers.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yes, public schools get to make people jump through some more hoops because they are offering a more desirable job. i guess the question would be if those additional certifications are making those teachers better. i believe private schools outperform public schools from what ive been hearing (dont currently have data for that claim, id have to research it i suppose if you disagree).
i don't know that i would disagree, i just know that the requirements for someone being hired at a private school or more lax than public school. for instance, i personally know people who majored in xyz with the intent of getting a "real job", couldn't, and then went and taught at their local catholic school. this doesn't make them bad teachers, but just like with all the b.s. certificates in the professional business world....the "more qualified" you are, the more you get paid. the race for acronyms after your name!

i wonder if you looked at a school like Exeter in mass., if their teachers are paid well or if they are paid the avg private school salary.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i was happy with all the teachers ive had throughout my education. the only one that stood out and probably was considered by some to be "better" was this guy who would talk to kids about their personal issues. wanted to change lives i guess. all others basically ran program and thats what i like. i know sometimes kids would complain that teachers "didnt teach" and i would think whatever just read the text book and figure it out. nothing through grade 12 is particularly complicated.
my high school was far more difficult than anything i did in college. college was a breeze, and i think it's mostly because of how well my HS teachers prepared me. i saw kids at college that didn't have the same preparation, and weren't as skilled at studying and gathering information. and i also saw kids who were better prepared than me, because they had access to more AP courses and better challenges in their HSs.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:47 PM

614 posts, read 1,376,189 times
Does everyone here have Comcast or something? Because I can't read what ever it is you are all looking at. I need a Comcast Acct. or pay to look at thier site. But Yes the link works fine for people that have CC.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:52 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
A couple of weeks previously a middle school in Irvington had a fire and when the police and fire men arrived the students pelted them with snow and ice balls. These teachers might as well be working in a zoo as these animals aren't much higher on the food chain.

I doubt if the teenagers that attacked the teacher had any idea of what is going on in the state regarding teachers salaries, benefits, etc. as I don't believe they were nightly listeners to the news.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:59 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,414,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Teacher's salary have no bearings on thus story whatsoever. I wonder though, what can make a 16 year old female attack a teacher.

I really love people like this. What would make her attack a student? Its obvious by your comments you have no grasp of the situations's that exist in the inner cities.
Its sad to say but kids in these situations are mad,hate life,have no respect,no trust,no structure, hate authority and are lazy because of the situation they were born into. Of course this is not every kid in the inner city but it is a lot of them. I should know as many of these kids were my "friends" when I was in school. Terrible home lives and no family structure year after year leads to this type of behavior. Why dont these things ever happen in NJ suburbs? Honestly any teacher who is willing to put their pride and safety on the line should be commended and hailed as a hero. Christie has said that the teachers and schools are the problem in the inner city but the honest and non politically correct reason for the problems is the population. I dare anyone in here to take a look at some of these middle schools and high schools for even 10 minutes and you tell me whats wrong. Again we in a day and age when every single "child" has to receive an education. We just cant kick out because they dont want to learn, instead we need to find out what the teacher is doing "wrong". Wow we are doomed.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:07 AM

587 posts, read 2,178,803 times
it would be intereseting to see it the kids involved had priors. its even highly possible that they bounced around form school to school. Too bad the public school systems cannot deny enrollement to children with priors.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:17 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,414,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumra View Post
it would be intereseting to see it the kids involved had priors. its even highly possible that they bounced around form school to school. Too bad the public school systems cannot deny enrollement to children with priors.
Priors? What kind of kid does something like this? Let me guess the kid who is going to any Ivy League School?

Old 03-04-2011, 05:01 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i don't think christie is the only one who claims teachers are overpaid. you're free to interpret it however you'd like.

it's called a joke.
Perhaps a bad joke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey