Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:27 AM

20 posts, read 47,187 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am going to RPI and then I need to catch a flight out of Newark airport leaving at 8:45 pm on Monday night. I need to return the rental car and take the airport shuttle to go to the terminal. Good news is, I have no bggage to check. Just go through secruity.

How late I can leave RPI? I have a campus tour for my daughter from 2:30 to 3:30. Please advise how traffic is going to be around Newark area past I-87S. What are the traffic bottleneck areas? Are there any safe bets to avoid any congestions? Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,670,481 times
Ugghh that is not a great commute. You should try and leave right away if you want to beat traffic. Unfortunately there really isn't any way around the traffic. You'll hit it on 787 through D-Town Albany, unless you can make it through there before 5( all the government workers get out at 5pm on the dot).

Other than that I would probably suggest taking 87 to 287 to 208 to 20(getting from 208 to 20 is not tricky but it is not an exit so you'll have to rely on GPS for that) to 21. You should be going in the opposite direction of traffic on most of those roads. The GSP is bad both ways during rush hour.

Whole trip should take you about 3-3.5 hours

Old 03-04-2011, 09:41 AM

Hi tdstyles,

What is 21 called? Is 21 toll road or any stop lights? Is there any name for it? How many toll rods will I be on besides GSPKWY (aka 20 right?). Thanks

Old 03-04-2011, 09:44 AM

I see it now, 21 is called McCarter Hwy, so never mind. Is this a toll? Thanks much.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:46 AM

Hi tdstyles, as far as leaving Albany my wife will make us leave RPI around 2 pm. So getting out of Albany should not be an issue, right? I may be close to 20 or 21 by 5:30 pm. I am not sure how bad the security at Newark is. Cross our fingers.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:49 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,670,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcotocjb View Post
I see it now, 21 is called McCarter Hwy, so never mind. Is this a toll? Thanks much.
21 is not a toll road, there are lights only when you go through Downtown Newark. Traffic is always a possibility but this stretch of the trip it is guaranteed. It's a relatively short stretch and you are only 10 minutes away at that point

If you are leaving by 2pm you will have no problems whatsoever. Albany traffic is only bad around rush hour. Leaving at 2 you will probably dodge traffic all the way down 87 too.

As far as security at Newark, it is bad sometimes but never that bad. I travel about once a month out of there for work and never arrive more than 1.5 hours before my flight.

Are you parking your car at the Airport or just getting dropped off? The reason I ask is that getting to long term parking can be a little bit confusing, even with GPS. You might want to look at a map before you go just to get your bearings. Since traffic will be bad at that point you won't want be circling the airport looking for the lot.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:02 AM

tdstyles,

I am coming from Orlando. I will be renting a car at Newark on Sunday night and dropping it off on Monday when I return. I can't beleive all the travel websites are quoting me like $78-$100 (including tax) for 18 hours rental. After dropping the car, then we take the airport shuttle to catch the Jetblue flight to Orlando. Still it can be done right?

Old 03-04-2011, 11:26 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,046,199 times
Pricing on rentals varies from company to company. If you have AAA or a credit card with a discount option, that may help a bit. You may or may not get a better deal from the company website.

As for the airport shuttle, they are usually reliable in getting you to the terminal quickly. Most of the rental places are just off Routes 1 and 9 S and the access road to the terminals are right out front. Just let the driver know you want to get to Terminal A for JetBlue.

Like tdstyles said, security is not that "bad" in terms of moving people through.

If you get in to the rental co. by 5:30 PM, you should have not problem getting the terminal and though security with time to spare. If you want to grab a bite to eat, check out this link. It will list all the restaurants, shops and services in each of the terminals. A is the default.

Safe travels!

Old 03-04-2011, 11:53 AM

Thanks so much for the help. You guys rock.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:56 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,953,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcotocjb View Post
Thanks so much for the help. You guys rock.
what is RPI I may be able to suggest an even faster commute!!!!! easier too If u are leaving from albany to newark then use greyhound to newark airport express both buses have under storage for luggage!!!!! Or megabus to the train which goes directly!!!! from penn station. ur call or to avoid traffic drive to poughkeepsie take train to grand central then take airport bus to newark!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey