Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:01 PM

25 posts, read 32,364 times

Advertisements

I did not know until last week that Bergen County has Sunday blue laws.
Now, I will definetely look for home in that area. Keeping Sunday a day of rest, free from traffic, pollution, and no need to worry to work that day, and being able to go to church and have family day is a blessing

How long have the blue laws been in Bergen County?
Do residents like it?

My cousin dislike it because she said that Sunday is her only day being able to shop.
My answer to her was: If Sunday is the only day you could shop, then you should definetely change job!
Most stores and malls close at 9.30 pm Monday - Saturday... you should at least have couple of hours to shop on any workweek day!

It's also not fair for those who work in retail that they must work on a Sunday.

Thanks for respond and opinion!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 05:26 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,958,693 times
It actually didn't bother me much when I lived in Saddle Brook. Did I notice a drop in traffic? Maybe a little....more noticeable around busy times like Christmas around the Garden State Plaza area where 17, 46, the GSP and Rt80 are close by. I think overall I do like it since I'm a proponent of small business owners which is why I think is the reason for the blue laws.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:43 PM

505 posts, read 2,336,068 times
I think it's silly...there's no reason the government, local or federal, should or could mandate that a private business be open or closed on any day. It had it's place a few hundred years ago....we've evolved....so should Bergen County.

Just my $0.02.

~Joey

Old 03-04-2011, 05:50 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,859,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymarine View Post
I think it's silly...there's no reason the government, local or federal, should or could mandate that a private business be open or closed on any day. It had it's place a few hundred years ago....we've evolved....so should Bergen County.

Just my $0.02.

~Joey
Its been voted on....its the only thing that gets voters to the polls everytime. Half the county works in Retail , so it always gets voted down.... The People have spoken. But smaller towns allow there Main Street areas open for a few hrs.... Its mainly targeted at the highways....except Paramus which has the strictest ban...nothing can be open except food.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:58 PM

25 posts, read 32,364 times
Quote:

Just my $0.02.

~Joey
But it's also not fair for those who work in retail must work on a Sunday, when they could have the day off and be with family or do whatever they want.
And believe me, not everybody could be off on Sunday if stores were open, so don't tell us that you could be off if you want. If everybody wants to be off, then who's going to work? That's why it's good to be closed completely.

Bergen County is unique, and I LOVE that!

But same in most other countries in the world, such as in Germany where virtually everything is shut down on Sundays.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its been voted on....its the only thing that gets voters to the polls everytime. Half the county works in Retail , so it always gets voted down.... The People have spoken. But smaller towns allow there Main Street areas open for a few hrs.... Its mainly targeted at the highways....except Paramus which has the strictest ban...nothing can be open except food.
That doesn't surprise me...I just think it's crazy. If I want to buy a left handed monkey wrench and 4 am on a sunday and some jackwagen is willing to be open and sell it to me then....so be it.

It just amazes me the things that the government gets invoved with. There shouldn't be a law about it...liquor stores I get but the rest of it makes no sense.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seme22 View Post
But it's also not fair for those who work in retail must work on a Sunday, when they could have the day off and be with family or do whatever they want.
And believe me, not everybody could be off on Sunday if stores were open, so don't tell us that you could be off if you want. If everybody wants to be off, then who's going to work? That's why it's good to be closed completely.

Bergen County is unique, and I LOVE that!

But same in most other countries in the world, such as in Germany where virtually everything is shut down on Sundays.
The entire staff doesn't work every day....they may rotate, but if you don't want to work garbage hours, don't work retail. If I didn't want to work nights or weekends could I just ask Middlesex County to make it agains the law to shop for homes on the nights and weekends? No...I should change professions...

Old 03-04-2011, 06:13 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,859,429 times
Quote:
That doesn't surprise me...I just think it's crazy. If I want to buy a left handed monkey wrench and 4 am on a sunday and some jackwagen is willing to be open and sell it to me then....so be it.

It just amazes me the things that the government gets invoved with. There shouldn't be a law about it...liquor stores I get but the rest of it makes no sense.
Well the people who are off on sunday often go up into the Mountains or into The City.... The Neighboring counties have UEZ's , so ppl go shop there....

Old 03-08-2011, 06:06 AM

88,590 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seme22 View Post
I did not know until last week that Bergen County has Sunday blue laws.
Now, I will definetely look for home in that area. Keeping Sunday a day of rest, free from traffic, pollution, and no need to worry to work that day, and being able to go to church and have family day is a blessing

How long have the blue laws been in Bergen County?
Do residents like it?

My cousin dislike it because she said that Sunday is her only day being able to shop.
My answer to her was: If Sunday is the only day you could shop, then you should definetely change job!
Most stores and malls close at 9.30 pm Monday - Saturday... you should at least have couple of hours to shop on any workweek day!

It's also not fair for those who work in retail that they must work on a Sunday.

Thanks for respond and opinion!!
Uh, oh, do you realize you just opened a can of worms by reviving this conversation again?

I lived most of my life in Bergen County, and I am 52. The blue laws were in place as far back as I remember, and likely long before that, to answer your question. Of course, when I was a kid, Bergen wasn't as overpopulated and suburbanized as it is now, and Paramus was more fields than malls. The Garden State Plaza existed, but it was an opening shopping center, not a huge enclosed mall.

Once upon a time, Bergen County was full of strictly religious Dutch Reformed Church farmers who did not believe in doing anything on Sunday, but now that is no longer applicalbe, as Jews, Hindus, Muslims and people of no religion populate the area and Sunday isn't a religious day for them. These days it's mostly about traffic.

I moved out of Bergen 18 months ago, so I don't have a dog in this fight, and I can't understand why for the life of me anyone would WANT to go shopping at any time unless they absolutely have to anyway.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:34 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,828 times
I love the Blue Laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey