Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:09 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Correction, and I know this because we've been studying this in class, the Dutch, didn't really care about religion, or anything else for that matter, they just cared about making money. It was some of the later settlers, such as the puritans who settled Newark, who were a bit too persnickety about religion. Anyway, reading about, it seems it more a desire for a day of peace and quite than a day of religious observance.
I'm of New Jersey Dutch descent, and I beg to differ. They cared very much about their religion. I'm sure that wasn't universal--nothing in one group ever is.

They did care about money, though. During the American revolution, the farmers in North Jersey and southern New York made their decision to sell their produce to the Continental Army or the Brits based on who would pay more, patriotism and freedom be damned!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,475,142 times
Yeah the Dutch were all about Calvinism and "capitalism" during that time period.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,193,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubecois View Post

You could buy toilet paper on Sunday.
Grocery stores are open.
I never understood this. Do those people not deserve the same benefits that retail workers get from being closed on Sunday?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:06 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,646,067 times
Does it really matter much if a store is open or closed on Sunday. I've done shift work for over 30 years so Sunday is only another day, midnights and evenings is only another day. And to the bible thumpers can't you go pray on any day.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:13 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,068,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Does it really matter much if a store is open or closed on Sunday. I've done shift work for over 30 years so Sunday is only another day, midnights and evenings is only another day. And to the bible thumpers can't you go pray on any day.
It's not about religion at all anymore, it is about traffic and congestion.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 AM

25 posts, read 32,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I never understood this. Do those people not deserve the same benefits that retail workers get from being closed on Sunday?
Those people get payed time and half working on a Sunday.
There are some people that wants to work on Sunday, so nobody force them to work or not that day.

I myself wish even grocery stores were closed as well, but everything can't be closed so.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Yes it does. A day free from traffic, pollution, stress, overwork, crime and everything else. A day of rest, a day spending with family, and Christians being able to go to church. No need to worry about working on a Sunday either.

Sunday might be like any other day for you, but not for everybody.

Sunday is always a special day in most of the western world.
Everything has reduced hours on Sunday everywhere.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seme22 View Post
Those people get payed time and half working on a Sunday.
There are some people that wants to work on Sunday, so nobody force them to work or not that day.

I myself wish even grocery stores were closed as well, but everything can't be closed so.
This could apply to all stores.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
This could apply to all stores.
That's your thought.. but I didn't enforce to keep the blue laws, eithers did you.

It's Bergen County residents that are voting for the keeping the Blue Laws.
And me, like hundreds of thousands of others like it.

You do not live in B. County anyway, so why do you care?

I can't wait for the day when NATIONAL Sunday Law come in effect!
I hope it does.....

Old 03-10-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seme22 View Post
That's your thought.. but I didn't enforce to keep the blue laws, eithers did you.

It's Bergen County residents that are voting for the keeping the Blue Laws.
And me, like hundreds of thousands of others like it.

You do not live in B. County anyway, so why do you care?

I can't wait for the day when NATIONAL Sunday Law come in effect!
I hope it does.....
Did you really need to private message me on this? I'm not about to get in to some religious debate with you on how this is a Christian country.

And the fact that you ask why I care because I don't live in Bergen County and then state you want to see this be a national law is just awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey