Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:45 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,435,223 times

Advertisements

i think it's silly. so you have less traffic on sunday (in theory), but saturday is just basically twice as bad as it would be otherwise. and honestly, for all the conservative ideas out there about government telling us what to do, this is one that seems clearly logical to me. why the heck should i not be able to run to Dick's Sporting Goods on a Sunday? For what purpose is that law in place? If it's quality of life, then why don't you take a look at your zoning laws as to why you allowed all these places to open in the first place!

Sure, it's nice to have a day of rest, but it's also nice to be able to buy toilet paper on Sunday if i need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 08:48 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,068,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i think it's silly. so you have less traffic on sunday (in theory), but saturday is just basically twice as bad as it would be otherwise. and honestly, for all the conservative ideas out there about government telling us what to do, this is one that seems clearly logical to me. why the heck should i not be able to run to Dick's Sporting Goods on a Sunday? For what purpose is that law in place? If it's quality of life, then why don't you take a look at your zoning laws as to why you allowed all these places to open in the first place!

Sure, it's nice to have a day of rest, but it's also nice to be able to buy toilet paper on Sunday if i need it.
You can buy toilet paper on Sunday.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:29 AM

97 posts, read 311,363 times
It's stupid. It may lower traffic on Sunday, but it increases traffic on Saturday because everyone is running out last minute before Sunday comes.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:38 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,677,890 times
I'm just bummed that my church gift shop is closed, they always have the best deals on Plasma televisions.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,193,025 times
Just seems unnecessary. Stores don't have to open if they don't want to.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:45 PM

76 posts, read 321,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post

I completely agree with you. Why is it that I have to go to Rockland County to go to Lowes to buy silicone caulk on a Sunday, but I drive by a liquor store in Cresskill and it's open?

How does Bergen County get away with this? The county is losing a ton of revenue... It just doesn't make sense.

Does anyone know if Bergen County's blue laws were enacted with religious observance in mind? If so, that's so unfair. I am a Christian, but I believe in the separation of church and state... Why single out one religion's sabbath over another's? Why not just close the stores on Mondays to make it fair.

I am originally from NYC and I moved here recently from Monmouth County, so I'm not used to this, and it really is a pain to be told when I can and can't shop.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:06 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,886,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriState Traveler View Post
I completely agree with you. Why is it that I have to go to Rockland County to go to Lowes to buy silicone caulk on a Sunday, but I drive by a liquor store in Cresskill and it's open?

How does Bergen County get away with this? The county is losing a ton of revenue... It just doesn't make sense.

Does anyone know if Bergen County's blue laws were enacted with religious observance in mind? If so, that's so unfair. I am a Christian, but I believe in the separation of church and state... Why single out one religion's sabbath over another's? Why not just close the stores on Mondays to make it fair.

I am originally from NYC and I moved here recently from Monmouth County, so I'm not used to this, and it really is a pain to be told when I can and can't shop.
It comes up for a vote every year and never gets overturned....ppl like it.. They weren't enacted with Religious intentions....more with traffic control... You can shop in the cheaper UEZ's in Clifton , Passaic and Paterson.... Or in small towns...some towns have relaxed there blue laws , Paramus has the strictest...

Old 03-09-2011, 07:09 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriState Traveler View Post

YES, that has already been stated.

Bergen County was primarily settled by Dutch farmers. If you live in the county, you know that because many of their red sandstone buildings stand and are part of the historical society properties.

The Dutch Reformed were a Calvinistic denomination who observed the Christian sabbath day very strictly. If you could go back in time, they'd ask you how you could claim to be a Christian and still need to caulk something ON A SUNDAY!

Old 03-09-2011, 07:15 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,475,142 times
Calvinism was great. If all Americans were Calvinists, we'd be running laps around the Germans, Japanese, and Chinese. Instead we have a country filled with lazy, narcissistic secular-materialists.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:22 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,890,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
YES, that has already been stated.

Bergen County was primarily settled by Dutch farmers. If you live in the county, you know that because many of their red sandstone buildings stand and are part of the historical society properties.

The Dutch Reformed were a Calvinistic denomination who observed the Christian sabbath day very strictly. If you could go back in time, they'd ask you how you could claim to be a Christian and still need to caulk something ON A SUNDAY!
Correction, and I know this because we've been studying this in class, the Dutch, didn't really care about religion, or anything else for that matter, they just cared about making money. It was some of the later settlers, such as the puritans who settled Newark, who were a bit too persnickety about religion. Anyway, reading about, it seems it more a desire for a day of peace and quite than a day of religious observance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey