Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:14 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,712,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
well, i am interested in looking. ill have to come back later. but look at government spending and how it has grown more recently. you have social security, medicare and medicaid that make up such a huge % of government spending today and they werent around when america was growing into a superpower. when i have more time, ill check out other spending items and see when they started and how they have developed. seems to me like government was spending a lot less as we were growing into a superpower.
The only thing your missing of any substance is military spending that eats up 43% of the budget and interest on T-bills. Cutting any other funding accomplishes a whole lot of nothing except upsetting poor people who need heat in the winter. Karma's gonna be a ***** when it comes to all of that nonsense cutting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Obviously the banks hedge their bets and contribute to the one they think is going to win. however, historically they have leaned Democrat in their contributions. The only reason I posted any of that was in response to the article that was posted that quoted Buffett out of context and spun a web that implicated the GOP, megacorps, investment firms and banks of being allies in some unending war against the poor in this country and painted the Democratic party as the eternal savior of the working man.
Quoted Buffett out of context? I dont think so. He's a well-known progressive voice. He even would have voted for Obamacare and he is certainly in favor of progressive taxation. And, you are confusing Democrats with Progressives. Democrats are beholden to their corporate sponsors like Republicans and Tea Partiers.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Quoted Buffett out of context? I dont think so. He's a well-known progressive voice. He even would have voted for Obamacare and he is certainly in favor of progressive taxation. And, you are confusing Democrats with Progressives. Democrats are beholden to their corporate sponsors like Republicans and Tea Partiers.
Buffett is a miserable disgrace when it comes to political philosophy. He is basically a collectivist at heart, and he should be classified as a Pelosian Mediocrat.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:09 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Actually, China is an example of a country with tons of government involvement that is doing just peachy. China: The New America? | worldwide hippies (http://www.worldwidehippies.com/2011/03/23/china-the-new-america/ - broken link)
I guess if you define peachy as having 35% of our GDP despite having 4.3 times our population, well then yes, by all means, peachy...

China only began to grow when they embraced very limited aspects of freedom and capitalism. We all know where they were before 1990.

And, under totalitarian collectivism, which is where we are headed, they were an atrocious anachronism of poverty and backwardness, which is also where we are headed if we continue to pursue the "ideal" that they are sensibly abandoning.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Yes, the slaves were very good for the Industrial Revolution. Things all went downhill when regulations got placed on owning them.
funny you should say this when your last post is suggesting that china is doing so great and they have very big government.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
The only thing your missing of any substance is military spending that eats up 43% of the budget and interest on T-bills. Cutting any other funding accomplishes a whole lot of nothing except upsetting poor people who need heat in the winter. Karma's gonna be a ***** when it comes to all of that nonsense cutting.
you could cut the entire military and you still have a very large deficit. also, you said its 43% of the budget, i see it as 20%. where did you get that number? i see now that if you add together social security, medicare and medicaid you get that 43% number you used, so maybe you were just looking at the wrong number by mistake.

you are suggesting the next thing after cutting military spending is cutting heat for poor people? thats comical.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Oh absolutely. Even a cursory examination of history will reveal that our decline is directly attributable to oppressive and unwarranted government involvement in the economy. The profligate deficit spending and elimination of the gold standard were only possible with government involvement. Private parties cannot print money and inflate the economy until it bursts like a balloon. Only the government can arbitrarily assign itself powers that are inherently destructive of wealth that it does not own and should not control.

It has got to stop, and it may already to be too late. The collectivist mediocratic cabal has wrecked our psyche to the point where the vast majority of us may no longer want freedom, and may no longer be worthy of freedom, and may no longer be able to know what to do with freedom if we had it. Freedom is a responsibility that demands the best in us, and I fear that the best of us has already been traded in for Obamacare and every other cancerous malignancy promising something for nothing.
i would like to find a chart that goes back in history. this is what i found so far with a quick search. our government spending as a % of gdp seems to be going steadily upwards. brady would have you think it has always been as much as it is now.

i wouldnt mind seeing something that can quantify the amount of government regulation over time also, not sure if thats possible.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I guess if you define peachy as having 35% of our GDP despite having 4.3 times our population, well then yes, by all means, peachy...

China only began to grow when they embraced very limited aspects of freedom and capitalism. We all know where they were before 1990.

And, under totalitarian collectivism, which is where we are headed, they were an atrocious anachronism of poverty and backwardness, which is also where we are headed if we continue to pursue the "ideal" that they are sensibly abandoning.

Success is not always measured in dollars, young grasshopper.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you could cut the entire military and you still have a very large deficit. also, you said its 43% of the budget, i see it as 20%. where did you get that number? i see now that if you add together social security, medicare and medicaid you get that 43% number you used, so maybe you were just looking at the wrong number by mistake.

you are suggesting the next thing after cutting military spending is cutting heat for poor people? thats comical.
It's being cut ahead of military spending: Obama budget to propose cuts in heat subsidies for the poor - Feb. 11, 2011

Old 03-26-2011, 11:53 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Default Another part of why we're broke ...

General Electric Paid No Federal Taxes in 2010 - ABC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey