Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:46 PM

106 posts, read 205,671 times

Advertisements

I live in Portland, Oregon and will be moving to NJ soon, probably not too far from NYC (within 45 min).
In Portland, it is very overcast and cloudy almost the whole year. It also rains about 8 months a year. I think all that might have something to do with how I am feeling a lot of times, perhaps the lack of sunlight. From what I read, it could be Seasonal affective disorder. I often have a headache, muscle pains and just overall exhaustion and weakness in the body that come and go for no apparent reason. I noticed that I only have this in Portland. When I left Portland for NY for a few days, while feeling all that, it instantly became better, once I arrived to NY so it has to be something with the weather; maybe not just the rains or cloudiness because I even went to Moscow, Russia for 2 months before and never felt those symptoms, even when weather was bad and rainy too. Oregon has many climate zones in a short distance, I suppose this could be the reason as well, but anyway:

How often is it cloudy, overcast and rainy in Northern Jersey?
I know it is less than Portland, Oregon, but I still would like some good info.

Does anyone have much S.A.D ?

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 01:02 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
NJ is more of a typical climate. Rain & clouds maybe 10 to 20% of the time or less, as a guess.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:33 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,829 times
It precipitates about once every three days here. We get enough sun in my opinion. I've lived in sunnier places and thought it was too sunny.

I don't have SAD, but I think people can get it here in the winter.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:03 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,529 times
SAD tends to happen toward the end of winter here for folks who do get it, but you will notice an overall significance from Portland. We got sun here, it'll certainly be seen more than clouds. Do prepare for much snowier winters though!

Old 04-27-2011, 07:29 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
more rain than portland, less cloud cover. if i find the stats i'll post them.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
I know now when I lived in New Jersey, I had a form of SAD in the winter. October to March was pure misery for me.

The problem I had now, looking back, wasn't the cold as much as the persistent cloud cover. You are from Portland, I can tell you that the last time I visited there, last year, actually, in April, I found myself drinking coffee, which I rarely drink, after 12 pm, in an attempt to stay awake. Portland's winters aren't quite as bitter cold as most of New Jersey, but there is a slightly higher percentage of cloud cover.

Overall, if you have SAD in Portland, you aren't going to rid yourself of this condition if you move to New Jersey.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I know now when I lived in New Jersey, I had a form of SAD in the winter. October to March was pure misery for me.

The problem I had now, looking back, wasn't the cold as much as the persistent cloud cover. You are from Portland, I can tell you that the last time I visited there, last year, actually, in April, I found myself drinking coffee, which I rarely drink, after 12 pm, in an attempt to stay awake. Portland's winters aren't quite as bitter cold as most of New Jersey, but there is a slightly higher percentage of cloud cover.

Overall, if you have SAD in Portland, you aren't going to rid yourself of this condition if you move to New Jersey.
I thought the difference in NJ was that our cloud/sun pattern is the same all year round, versus Portland, where they have days and days and days of clouds, depending on the season.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:55 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I thought the difference in NJ was that our cloud/sun pattern is the same all year round, versus Portland, where they have days and days and days of clouds, depending on the season.
I'm not so sure Ann. I would think there is a higher % of cloud cover in NJ during the winter than there is during the summer. Then again, perhaps I've forgotten.....

Old 04-27-2011, 09:02 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:

Mike, Mike, Mike! I think I debunked your theory that NH was less cloud covered than NJ in the winter, will I have to do the same for OR? LOL Maybe we need to define "slightly"!

Old 04-27-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I'm not so sure Ann. I would think there is a higher % of cloud cover in NJ during the winter than there is during the summer. Then again, perhaps I've forgotten.....
Here's the data, % Sun (% of time between sunrise and sunset that sunshine reaches the ground)

You're right, ours varies over the year but it doesn't dip as low as it does in Portland.

Portland goes from a high of 69% down to ~ 25% in the winter. New York doesn't get below 50%, even in the winter. The overall % is higher too.

NEW YORK

51% Jan
55% Feb
57% Mar
58% Apr
61% May
64% June
65% July
64% Aug
62% Sept
61% Oct
52% Nov
49% Dec

Annual 58%

PORTLAND

28% Jan
38% Feb
48% Mar
52% April
57% May
56% June
69% July
66% Aug
62% Sept
44% Oct
28% Nov
23% Dec

Annual 48%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey