Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 03:13 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times

Advertisements

Strongly suggest you consider renting in the area in order for you to explore the various towns and find the one with the best fit. With the housing down turn there are a lot of nice homes for sale and good prices. Shop around. I'm sure Roche provides relocation assistance, so take advantage of their knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 03:49 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,163,233 times
I had no idea property taxes were so high, so this is really useful information.

We are definitely looking at a detached single family home with a garden (I'm a keen gardener and my son is sports mad) so the townhouse option wouldn't really be of interest to us. Looks lovely though - I had a look.

I think now is definitely a good time to move for us. We live about an hour from London so property prices in our area haven't dropped hugely and we would most certainly get a lot more for our money out there.

On the other hand, we have also been looking at San Francisco - wow is everyone out there a billionaire??

Thanks everyone for your really useful advice so far.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:22 AM

478 posts, read 1,229,897 times
Hi Kentmum. We all enjoyed THE wedding! Sending you a private message about Roche and Montclair.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:46 AM

Yes we had all the flags and street parties out here! We had a National holiday for the occasion so everyone was watching it and it moved everyone to tears. We could do with a bit more patriotism in this country! I think we could take a leaf out of your book there! It was really a great day.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:41 PM

I have another question about US property taxes which has had me thinking. When you buy a house the property tax seems to be a huge proportion of your outgoings and obviously needs to be taken into account.

In the UK we do have a sort of property tax but nothing anywhere near as high, so your mortgage is your main concern. Most people (ourselves included) look forward to the day when they will be mortgage free and then can retire someday with relatively few outgoings.

So what happens when you retire and are (hopefully) mortgage free in the US? Presumably you still have to pay this enormous property tax out of your retirement pension? Do you earn enough to be able to do this? Sorry if this all sounds dumb! It's maybe irrelevant to us but I'm interested to know.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:55 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
So what happens when you retire and are (hopefully) mortgage free in the US? Presumably you still have to pay this enormous property tax out of your retirement pension? Do you earn enough to be able to do this? Sorry if this all sounds dumb! It's maybe irrelevant to us but I'm interested to know.
You move OUT of places with high property tax like New Jersey. Since you don't have to be where the jobs are anymore, that's not as hard a task.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:58 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
I have another question about US property taxes which has had me thinking. When you buy a house the property tax seems to be a huge proportion of your outgoings and obviously needs to be taken into account.

In the UK we do have a sort of property tax but nothing anywhere near as high, so your mortgage is your main concern. Most people (ourselves included) look forward to the day when they will be mortgage free and then can retire someday with relatively few outgoings.

Yes the property taxes support local services, schools, roads, etc., so you pay it until you don't own property there. Most people I know living in the high tax areas are highly compensated so the tax doesn't sting as much.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:29 PM

133 posts, read 330,821 times
I wish you luck with your job interviews. I just wanted to give you an FYI on Roche. You probably know this already, but Roche shed over 2000 workers in the last couple of years in Nutley, since their HQ moved to California with the Genentech merger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey