Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 11:34 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
how are you going to let your dog run out of the house without a leash and complain about what happens next?
so if your daughter ran out of your house and some guy walking down the street decided to clock her because he doesn't like little children, or is afraid of them...you wouldn't complain i guess?

i know people aren't the same as animals. but the point is...sometimes things don't go exactly how you plan. that doesn't mean you can't be upset about the results if you think the reaction is improper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 07:16 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
he was badly bitten? how is he doing now? even the dog that had a trainer by the throat seemed to walk away ok. as i said, a grown man is perfectly capable of stopping a dog from hurting someone without the use of a gun. i never claimed it would work 100% of the time. but you just gave me two examples of pretty bad situations where exactly what i said was true. i've seen dog attacks also, on people and on other dogs. i've never seen one broken up with guns.
Both people who were bitten were still HURT. The trainer only got bitten once before the trainer got control of the dog but he still needed stitches. Hell, even a non-serious dog bite HURTS. "Walking away ok" is not being bitten.

What you are claiming is that the police officers should have made the split second decision as a group, to risk the dog biting one of them. And lets be honest here, a single bite from a pitbull can be very, very bad.

You seem to expect the cops to risk not just their own personal safety but that of the other officers on the scene in the hopes they would be able to stop the "charging" dog before it bit someone. That is ridiculous.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I actually have been in this situation. This was about 15 years ago and I was 10 or 11 at the time, but my Uncles Husky attacked my brother one Christmas. (my brother was 5 or 6). My Grandpa (around 65 at the time) quickly took care of the dog. Took 8 stitches on my brother though. Bunch of kids were running around shooting nerf guns at each other which is what set the dog off (dog was not trained properly and this is not an excuse), my dog is trained properly, plays with neighborhood kids just about everyday and would never do anything to hurt them.

Nonetheless, if a 65 year old can restrain a Husky with his bare hands, I think 4 cops in the prime of their lives should be able to handle it without shooting up the neighborhood
Good for your grandpa. That being said its a completely different situation.

First, the husky had already bitten someone. Which means the dog was not "charging" and already had something in his mouth.

Second, you also claimed the police should have been able to stop the dog without anyone getting hurt. Not even your grandfather could do that.

Finally, 8 stitches from a husky would certainly translate to more stitches from a pitbull. So you have not demonstrated that the police or anyone in that situation had a reasonable expectation that they could grab a charging potentially dangerous dog BEFORE it could injure someone.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:45 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
The dog wasn't shot 33 times. 33 shots were fired.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
so if your daughter ran out of your house and some guy walking down the street decided to clock her because he doesn't like little children, or is afraid of them...you wouldn't complain i guess?

i know people aren't the same as animals. but the point is...sometimes things don't go exactly how you plan. that doesn't mean you can't be upset about the results if you think the reaction is improper.
Your analogy is more than just off base. Little girls are not sometimes trained to attack people in uniforms. Little girls are not capable of exhibiting a bite strength of some 320 psi.

And it is also important to note that it is not an unfounded fear to be more wary of a dog with the pits reputation. The police were not screaming because a lab walked past them, as a lady at the park near my house did yesterday.

As for the family, I have no issue what so ever with their feelings on the matter. Their grief would make them not particularly rational on the matter. On the other hand that is why victims don't get to decide the fates of the people who hurt the, unintentionally or otherwise. I do have an issue with people who are deciding that the police who were asked to react in a matter of a second or two that all of them are unfit for service.

33 shots from three officers does not remotely mean that all three then shot the dog 11 times. Maybe one over reacted and unloaded while the other two only fired a handful of shots. I am also not sure that hitting one house and a couple of cars while trying to hit a running target that everyone keeps saying isn't very big is grounds for dismissal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey