Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 01:28 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,095 times

Advertisements

I plan on taking another trip to Trenton, to see the historic sites. Now I know that Trenton is a rough town, I saw the statistics. However, I would like a more balanced view of the city to understand the city more completely than just seeing the sites on State Street. I do not plan on visiting the worst areas, but I do want to know where they are; I can know what to avoid and understand the city more completely. Therefore, I would like to draw a safety map of Trenton before I go there. I will base the different neighborhoods on the official Trenton Division of Planning map of the city...

http://www.trentonnj.org/documents/h...hood%20map.pdf

Anyway, the ranking that I would like to use for the city of Trenton are based on the traffic light. (Note: I had this done for Newark and got great responses).

Green - safe area day and night (common sense though does apply at night)

Yellow - main avenues safe during day side streets can sometimes be questionable

Red - Dangerous and should be completely avoided.

The neighborhoods that I would like ranked are the following...

Downtown/Central Trenton
Central West
Fisher-Richey-Perdicaris
Hanover Academy
Mill Hill
North 25
East Trenton
Chambersburg
Ewing and Carroll
Greenwood and Hamilton
Villa Park
Wilbur
West Trenton
Berkeley Square
Cadwalader Heights and Hillcrest
Glen Afton
Glendale
Hiltonia
Parkside
Pennington/Prospect
Prospect Park
Stuyvesant/Prospect
The Island
Weber Park
West End
South Trenton
Chestnut Park
North Trenton
Battle Monument(Five Points)
Top Road

(Note: the list of neighborhoods was copied and pasted from wikipedia, so if a neighborhood on the city map is missing on my list, please excuse me)

OK. I will start from what I remember from years ago (2007).

Downtown Trenton - Green/Yellow Agree?

I''d love to hear about the rest of the neighborhoods out of my own curiosity and need. Thank you for your input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 03:37 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,436 times
Hi Lentzr,

This is a really tough question. I grew up in Hamilton (on the border of Trenton) and I know Trenton very well. I'm going to offer you a few questions and comments and I hope that what I write does not come off as obtuse or just plain unhelpful.

Foremost, there are no green areas of Trenton at night. I would even go as far as to suggest that you do not go into Trenton at night.

The far West parts of Trenton (near Glen Afton), the neighborhood labeled 'Top Road', and sections of the Polish area might be green during the day.

Even Chambersburg is no longer green during the day.

That being said, I don't think it would be wise to treat any area of Trenton as green at any time of day.

Second, you mentioned street smarts and common sense. Your awareness is what is going to keep you from becoming a victim of crime. Any area of any city can go from green to red with one single incident. Of course I agree that criminal activity is more concentrated in certain areas. That is not to say that you should be paranoid, but as you mentioned, staying on the main roads and off of the side streets should get you relatively safely through any area of the city.

That being said, here are some streets/areas that you could consider to be 'red zones'. I am trying to narrow it down to areas that are smaller than entire neighborhoods. Things can change quite a bit from street to street, as you probably already know.

Walnut Avenue and side streets (Wilbur Section)
Calhoun Street and side streets (North Trenton-West Trenton)
North Clinton Avenue and side streets (East Trenton)
Perry Street, Southard Street
Bellevue Avenue
Parts of Stuyvesant Avenue
Battle Monument
Cadwalader Park rim

If you are referring to that pdf map that you posted, stay away from any side streets in the areas that are labeled Humboldt-Sweets, North 25, Central West, or the western parts of what are called Pennington-Prospect and Stuyvesant-Prospect.

As a side note, the areas labeled Chestnut Park, Villa Park, Chambersburg and Franklin Park were at one time (not long ago, relatively speaking) some of the most stable parts of Trenton. Things have changed a lot in those areas in the past 10 years. There is a lot of Hispanic gang activity in those areas now. Yellow during the day, at best.

Again, Lentzr, this is not comprehensive. I'm sure there are people reading my post and yelling at the computer that I missed individual streets or areas. Please consider Trenton a place that you should not try to 'code' with colors, but use your common sense and awareness at all times.

Are there any places in particular that you are considering visiting? Perhaps I can make route suggestions?

Old 04-30-2011, 04:49 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
West Trenton is a separate town?

Old 04-30-2011, 04:54 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
Agree 100% with NJmmadude.

Trenton is divided into 5 sections (wards), North, South, East and West. The downtown is the Central section.

Here is a police crime report from ONE week in 5/10 (the most recent I could find). Although it is a year old, crime in Trenton has not gotten any better, in fact, to me, it seems worse.

City of Trenton - Public Safety Reports

Scroll down to the maps and it will show where the most crime occurs.

The north ward (Brunswick, battle monument, 5 points is probably the most dangerous, I give it a yellow at best (day time) and only if you are at populated places. Otherwise it's red.
Just yesterday a popular pharmacist was fatally shot in a robbery in broad daylight.
Trenton pharmacist is shot to death in botched robbery | NJ.com

Downtown is ok during the week day with all the State offices, retail etc. Desolate at night, definitely red.

South ward includes Waterfront Park and is probably as green as Trenton gets but only if there is a function.

West ward includes Hiltonia etc and is pretty safe barring streets like Stuyvesant and Prospect.

East ward is Chambersburg etc. and as NJmmadude says has declined stunningly in the past 10 years. I used to work there and the Italian ladies would be out sweeping their sidewalks every morning, the homes were neat and well kept and it was a nice place to go for great meals. Today you will see boarded up homes, people milling in the streets, hanging out on porches and most of the restaurants have moved out.

Good luck with your venture and let us know your thoughts!

Last edited by jerseyj; 04-30-2011 at 05:13 PM..

Old 04-30-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
West Trenton is a separate town?
West Trenton is in Ewing Township. I believe to OP is referring to the West ward of the City of Trenton.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
I used to work there and the Italian ladies would be out sweeping their sidewalks every morning, the homes were neat and well kept and it was a nice place to go for great meals.
Remember that? Oh man, walking by the houses and smelling the bread baking and garlic sauteeing, and seeing the old men in the park reading newspapers and taking care of their homes.

Hold on, I've got something in my eye...

Old 04-30-2011, 09:13 PM

And the Feast of Lights? Remember that?

Here is where I used to work.

YouTube - EAST TRENTON N.J

I don't go there much any more

Old 05-01-2011, 02:47 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post

East ward is Chambersburg etc. and as NJmmadude says has declined stunningly in the past 10 years. I used to work there and the Italian ladies would be out sweeping their sidewalks every morning, the homes were neat and well kept and it was a nice place to go for great meals. Today you will see boarded up homes, people milling in the streets, hanging out on porches and most of the restaurants have moved out.

Good luck with your venture and let us know your thoughts!
Yes, I can't believe how much Chambersburg declined in the past ten years either. So sad.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:53 PM

Lentzr, did you ever make that trip?

Old 05-12-2014, 01:04 AM
ulo

1 posts, read 15,924 times
Lightbulb trenton

f*** are ya ***** ass n**** I have from trentom and I'm 12 years old I don't know if this is the old poster not but I'm applying while talking about Trent like for real why I have to keep talking about renting night that man that's messed up man duh feel me :hamdf*** yo you still be work how to give a f*** you for trying we'll kill you n**** for real yeah yeah bye bye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey