Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:28 AM

8 posts, read 11,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...and never sign a legal document that you don't understand or that you don't agree with.

While I am empathetic with the OP's plight, the statement about "we didn't even know how to read a lease" is...troubling...when considering the reality that the OP did sign it.
Unfortunately, we did it under pressure of time and let some things that we weren't entirely sure of slide during lease-signing. It seemed to be ok particularly because it said "Standard Agreement;" we figured that was a good thing, no chances to put in weird clauses. I suppose this sounds silly but we really didn't know any better (it was the first time either of us handling anything big legally, without family there - it was the first apartment for both of us right out of college). Next time, I'll know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 09:35 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybound1070 View Post
Unfortunately, we did it under pressure of time and let some things that we weren't entirely sure of slide during lease-signing. It seemed to be ok particularly because it said "Standard Agreement;" we figured that was a good thing, no chances to put in weird clauses. I suppose this sounds silly but we really didn't know any better (it was the first time either of us handling anything big legally, without family there - it was the first apartment for both of us right out of college). Next time, I'll know better.
Certainly will! That's the best thing you can take from this, experience and knowledge of what to be on the look out for next time. How much time do you have left on your lease?

Old 05-19-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Appears you are most upset that you overpaid! Cmon..thats your fault. You are renting..Who cares. When lease it up just move on.. Next..
I *am* upset that we are overpaying! Our salaries are already stretched thin, we live where we are living for work reasons, and then we find out that the guy next door pays at least 15% less for something a lot better. Man, it just makes me feel deflated.

Fortunately, I can weather this, and so can take your advice of just moving on when this is done.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Certainly will! That's the best thing you can take from this, experience and knowledge of what to be on the look out for next time. How much time do you have left on your lease?
6 months down, 6 to go. Am I glad it's not a 2 year lease!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshan242700 View Post
This link from thread manderly6 provided in another thread: LSNJLAW - G: Chapter 6: Your Right to Safe and Decent Housing

Don't think you have a valid claim to try and price match another renter's rent, but getting repairs done might be possible if they are covered by NJ law.

Sergio M's withholding rent option is covered further down in that link too.
Thanks mshan242700. And thanks manderly6. I just finished reading about half the chapters. I did know that I have certain rights as a tenant, but it seemed quite daunting to exercise those rights (paperwork! courts! lawyers! gasp!) before reading this. Seems a lot more manageable now. I even just called the landlord to let him know *again* what needs to be done, and am following it up with a letter now). Cheers, and thanks!

Old 05-19-2011, 01:31 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
I *am* upset that we are overpaying! Our salaries are already stretched thin, we live where we are living for work reasons, and then we find out that the guy next door pays at least 15% less for something a lot better. Man, it just makes me feel deflated.

Fortunately, I can weather this, and so can take your advice of just moving on when this is done.
That's not unusual. My landlord hardly ever raises my rent (twice in 11 years, by $50 the first time 5 years ago and $35 this year) BUT if someone moves out and a new person moves in, he charges them higher rent than the old people were paying in that apartment. My neighbor has been here for more than 20 years, and I would assume she pays less than I do. I wouldn't call that a rip-off, there is no rule that everyone should pay the same amount, and maybe your landlord will be like mine, and reward renters who've been there a long time and have proven themselves good tenants.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:28 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Don't get too down on yourself. Treat it as a lesson in renting and know that going forward you will be much better off.

There is actually a renting forum as well. It may not be a bad idea to check that out and see some other situations people have been through.

//www.city-data.com/forum/renting/

Old 05-20-2011, 08:40 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Recently rented my first apt (1BR+ junior BR) with a roommate in Hoboken, NJ for 1400. Found out a few months later that the neighbor pays less than 1200 for the same kind of apt. What REALLY bothers me is THIS: our kitchen is in pretty bad shape (exposed water heater sitting right next to the stove - is that even legal? -, NASTY 4inch wide gap all along between sink cabinet and wall, which is filled with CRUD and MOLD and out of which mice would show up, AND the cabinets are all really old, built-into-the-wall type with layers and layers of white paint on them, and not a single one of them closes shut); neighbor's kitchen, though, has full wooden cabinetry, NO exposed water heater and plumbing, and NO nasty gap in the wall (though I'm sure he has had mice too). When we moved in, we asked the landlord to change the kitchen and bathroom sink and cabinet because it was rotting from water and it was disgusting, and he said he would, and finally managed it several months later (he never got around to the bathroom sink/cabinet though). Only thing is, his people left a gaping hole between the cabinet and the wall, and when we called him about it, he said he couldn't do anything about it. (When we reported the mice infestation to him, he had an exterminator do a shoddy job - we caught a mouse ourselves!!).

I love to cook, and realizing how I've been overpaying (from a pretty low salary) for this kitchen, has just made me so depressed. I can't even bring myself to look at this kitchen without feeling sad and cheated.

PLEASE HELP: Is there anything we can do make the landlord have that gap cleaned up and patched up - it's next to the sink and it stinks when it gets wet, for heaven's sake!! - and is there ANYTHING we can do have the rent changed to an appropriate amount/get a refund of some sort on the last 6 months of rent that we've been paying?? We are both first-time renters and really didn't know how to gauge an apartment before singing a lease. We didn't even really know how to read a lease - there's nothing in our lease about breaking the lease or renegotiating it under certain circumstances - it is just titled Standard NJ Lease Agreement, and we thought that was fine. Now we know - it really isn't.
Why did you rent the place to begin with?

You only looked at one apartment and signed a lease?

You missed the condition of the apartment (water heater in the kitchen, shape of cabinets, gap in wall, mice crap) or did you sign without stepping one foot in the apt?

You don't have to "know" how to read a lease, you just read it. Most tenants don't - no matter how "seasoned" they are. There is no special consideration for "first timers" other than "lesson learned", legally or otherwise.

Call the health department and report your landlord to the town/city housing authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey