Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:03 PM

20 posts, read 45,998 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm a new poster here. I've been checking out the forums a bit regarding the area of West New York. My friend and I saw an apartment there tonight, Palisade Ave, right around the corner from the Bergenline Light Rail. Everything about the apartment fits out needs, except it's a bit more than we were hoping to pay. We can work around that, though.

I'm wondering what the neighborhood is like. I know that "safe" is a relative term. I live in the suburbs now, but grew up in Brooklyn. I read some mixed views in another forum on here. Most people say any urban area is going to have it's share of incidents, and I agree. But at the same time, I don't want to live where I'm worried about my car, or coming home at night from the train. The car thing was mentioned in the other thread I was reading, saying you generally have to not care about what happens to your car, because chances are it will get scratched, bumped into, or even "keyed". I'm not spoiled or a car snob, my car is not fancy, but it is pretty new. So yes, i would be annoyed if anything happened to it. So does that mean city living is not for me?

Also, I've read the area of WNS is mostly Spanish speaking, is that true? I don't speak or understand Spanish, so will it be hard for me to communicate with the store folks, other residents, etc?

We have to make a decision about this place pretty quick as it's being shown to other people in a few days. So I thought I'd check here for some opinions.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 08:28 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,748 times
Have you been to the neighborhood at all?

Old 05-28-2011, 09:10 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Default I've read the area of WNS is mostly Spanish speaking, is that true?

About 80%. You'll be fine. Union City and WNY are mostly hispanic and hispanic speaking areas.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Have you been to the neighborhood at all?
Just yesterday when we looked at the apartment. We had previously seen places in Jersey City, and felt that the WNY area "felt" safer. Not sure why or how, but it just had a better vibe, I guess.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
About 80%. You'll be fine. Union City and WNY are mostly hispanic and hispanic speaking areas.
Cool, thanks!

Old 05-28-2011, 10:56 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,475 times
I"ve been living in WNY for 30 years and my husband is from England and many people look down on him for having an accent (ironic). He does have difficulty with communicating with people in stores and etc. I am latina and while I'm not like this, I know a lot of them look down on non latinos and will ignore you half the time because they feel you don't belong in this area. I'd say take the apt. and just don't expect that people will be very friendly or helpful. If you don't bother them they usually don't bother you and that is a realistic view of living in WNY other people won't tell you.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I"ve been living in WNY for 30 years and my husband is from England and many people look down on him for having an accent (ironic). He does have difficulty with communicating with people in stores and etc. I am latina and while I'm not like this, I know a lot of them look down on non latinos and will ignore you half the time because they feel you don't belong in this area. I'd say take the apt. and just don't expect that people will be very friendly or helpful. If you don't bother them they usually don't bother you and that is a realistic view of living in WNY other people won't tell you.
Yeah that sounds like a great time, paying good money to live in a place where you won't feel welcome. Where do I sign up?

Old 05-28-2011, 12:14 PM

Thank you Raven, for that assessment, I will definitely keep that in mind!

This is the issue that keeps cropping up for me, and I'm torn.

brokenaperture, could you possibly suggest other areas to look that you would consider more suitable? We have a tight budget as well, were trying to go no more than 15,000, and this one is 16,000. But it just fits in every other way.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:16 AM

595 posts, read 1,558,962 times
you should look in weehawken. it is very safe, about 60 or so percent white (which means you will not be looked down by a majority hispanic population), and it has the best view of the city. one thing for sure is that you can decide things by your wallet. I dont shop in any hispanic owned stores. My wife was looked down upon because while she looks hispanic, she isnt, and they looked down on her because she didnt speak spanish. this happened in union city, literally across the street from weehawken.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
you should look in weehawken. it is very safe, about 60 or so percent white (which means you will not be looked down by a majority hispanic population), and it has the best view of the city. one thing for sure is that you can decide things by your wallet. I dont shop in any hispanic owned stores. My wife was looked down upon because while she looks hispanic, she isnt, and they looked down on her because she didnt speak spanish. this happened in union city, literally across the street from weehawken.
I second that. Weehawken is certainly a good option and you could find something in that price range. Weehawken was a top choice for me when I was thinking of getting my own apartment sans roommates.

I know it's tough with a limited budget. What are some specifics you're looking for? Proximity to NYC, public transportation, walkable amenities, no need for a car, restaurants, bars, good pizza (we all know this is essential)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey