Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 07:06 PM

222 posts, read 779,484 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,
This is the message to ALL people who feel that they are safe and can live cars, houses open etc. I've done that.
My house was broken this week. Even though everything was closed this time, they broke it. They were looking for cash and jewerly.
Please do yourself a favor - close everything, use your alarm system if you have it; when you leave your house, ALL the time leave lights and TV on. If you see anything suspicious, please call the police. It might be false alarm, but the police might just monitor your street. if you see suspicious car in your area, CALL police. At least two houses were broken same date..might be more..police does not tell much.
Best,
Me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 01:06 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpan78 View Post
Hello everybody,
This is the message to ALL people who feel that they are safe and can live cars, houses open etc. I've done that.
My house was broken this week. Even though everything was closed this time, they broke it. They were looking for cash and jewerly.
Please do yourself a favor - close everything, use your alarm system if you have it; when you leave your house, ALL the time leave lights and TV on. If you see anything suspicious, please call the police. It might be false alarm, but the police might just monitor your street. if you see suspicious car in your area, CALL police. At least two houses were broken same date..might be more..police does not tell much.
Best,
Me
And people in nearby Maplewood, South Orange and West Orange don't believe their towns are heading downhill.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:05 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,515,246 times
sorry to hear that! I have been robbed and felt very violated. I was mad for months. Sorry!!

Old 10-17-2010, 06:03 PM

605 posts, read 2,146,752 times
Where in Livingston do you live? I live in the Regency Club, across the street from the Livingston Mall. I'm not thrilled to live near that mall, but our community is gated with 24 hour live security so that makes me feel a tad better.

I was told by a Short Hills police officer that the two commercial locations that were worst place for gang members is the Livingston Mall and Six Flags. I'm sure that some of the problems in Livingston stem from that mall and all the traffic from other areas.

I do shop there but you will not find me there alone at night, ever. When I do go there, it is usually 10am on a weekday.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:22 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,141,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
And people in nearby Maplewood, South Orange and West Orange don't believe their towns are heading downhill.
This is certainly one of the dumbest posts I have read in a long time. How does a break-in in Livingston have anything to do with Maplewood, SO, or WO??? So if something bad happens in Livingston then surely other nearby towns must be bad or worse?? Makes absolutely no sense.

And how does someone from North Brunswick have any idea what goes on in MW, SO, or WO? Unless you live in these towns your opinion has no merit.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:31 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
This is certainly one of the dumbest posts I have read in a long time. How does a break-in in Livingston have anything to do with Maplewood, SO, or WO??? So if something bad happens in Livingston then surely other nearby towns must be bad or worse?? Makes absolutely no sense.

And how does someone from North Brunswick have any idea what goes on in MW, SO, or WO? Unless you live in these towns your opinion has no merit.
Actually that post was supposed to be funny. It wasn't meant to be serious. Where were you when they had the whole big thread about South Orange becoming undesirable? There were many people on that thread debating about SO, WO and Maplewood, including one that said if Maplewood got bad from Newark spillover domino effect then Livingston would be next in line.

For the record, I went to college in Montclair so I know the area. Maybe you just had a rotten weekend and felt the need to put someone down. Otherwise you wouldn't talk so big.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:56 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
I'm so tired of ppl saying its Newark causing all these break ins or other cities. Break in's can happen anywhere in any town , its mostly ppl who live in that town , not city ppl who are doing it. There are break-ins in my town , there are no cities even close to me. The Drug / gang problem in many towns is not the fault of the cities , its the fault of the parents in the towns. Also ppl let there gaurd down in the suburbs more then the city.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:52 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpan78 View Post
Hello everybody,
Best,
Me
Sorry this happened to you. I have extra sympathy for you because I am a former Livingston resident.

There were a rash of break ins around this time last year, I think? Not too sure about the timing, but it wasn't more than a year ago. I don't think they ever caught anyone from those incidents. I seem to recall that the burglars' MO was to knock on people's doors around dusk and if no one answered, they'd break in.

Yes, you should ALWAYS keep all of your doors locked, even when you are home.

When you are away, even for just one night, leave lights on (that includes outdoor lights). You can also set your lights on a timer so they are programmed to automatically turn on whenever you choose.

Don't let newspapers pile up in your driveway; don't let mail pile up in your mailbox.

If you have more than one car, leave one in the driveway like someone is home.

Speaking of cars in driveways, in the winter, I know a lot of people run outside to start the engine and turn the heat on, and then they go back inside the house to do a bunch of last minute stuff while the car is warming up. NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Get to know your neighbors. If they know NOTHING about you, they won't know, or care, if there are strange people lurking around your yard.

Don't let any unneccessary people know when you are going on vacation...landscaper, maintenance worker, bank teller, grocery clerk, etc. etc. Not that many people would make a point of calling these people up and saying "Hey, guess what?" But a lot of people, in the midst of mindless chit chat, will let information like that slip.

If you board your pets while you are away, don't let the boarder (whether it's your vet or a place like PetSmart) know that you are going on vacation...say you are currently entertaining allergic house guests or that you are having major work done on the house and the pets need to temporarily be gone.

If you will be away for an extended period of time, you can submit a "Vacant House Form" (only costs $1) to the Livingston Police and they will check up on your house from time to time when their schedule permits.

Don't announce on Facebook and Twitter that you're excited about your upcoming trip to ________ . This should be obvious, but apparently, it's not. I don't know about you people, but my Facebook newsfeed is filled with people bragging about their upcoming plans to go to Paris and how they're currently enjoying a gourmet treat at some frou frou little bistro, etc. etc. I always want to respond with "So, you're not at home, then?"

Old 10-18-2010, 11:58 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,303,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I'm so tired of ppl saying its Newark causing all these break ins or other cities. Break in's can happen anywhere in any town , its mostly ppl who live in that town , not city ppl who are doing it. There are break-ins in my town , there are no cities even close to me. The Drug / gang problem in many towns is not the fault of the cities , its the fault of the parents in the towns. Also ppl let there gaurd down in the suburbs more then the city.
Sorry, I can understand you wanting to defend your town, but fact is many of the more serious crimes committed in SO, WO and elsewhere in that area, are perpetrated by people coming in from Newark & Irvington.

My parents had 3 separate cars stolen from their driveway in SO, one resulting in an exchange of fire with police. Car was later found completely totalled in Newark.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:01 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Where in Livingston do you live? I live in the Regency Club, across the street from the Livingston Mall. I'm not thrilled to live near that mall, but our community is gated with 24 hour live security so that makes me feel a tad better.

I was told by a Short Hills police officer that the two commercial locations that were worst place for gang members is the Livingston Mall and Six Flags. I'm sure that some of the problems in Livingston stem from that mall and all the traffic from other areas.

I do shop there but you will not find me there alone at night, ever. When I do go there, it is usually 10am on a weekday.
Yeah, I think you're pretty safe in a complex like the Regency Club. Even if your community did NOT have 24 hour live security, it would still be unattractive to would be burglars. With units being connected/close together, there is too much risk for multiple witnesses. Plus, there is only 1 or 2 escape routes out of such complexes.

The Livingston Mall is sketchy (this is the reason I never felt compelled to use the #77 Community Coach bus park & ride there). But eh...I don't fear for my life when I'm shopping there. However, I did not know about it being a prime location for gang members. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey