Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 07:38 AM

728 posts, read 1,966,457 times

Advertisements

Yesterday a sales rep from Vivint stopped by my house and I stupidly told him to come back when my dad got home. Long story short immediately after he gets home the guy shows back up. Very strong sales pitch and to make a long story short by the end of the night this alarm system is installed replacing our current slomins system. (No idea what my dad was thinking)

This can be canceled and reversed within 3-7 business days. My question is has anybody on this forum had a sales rep from Vivint randomly show up at your house? Do any of you have it? Did anybody else find this extremely sketchy?

I read a lot of complaints about this company just looking for some feedback thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:12 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,349,686 times
I sure hope that your Slomin's contract has already expired!
If not, your family will wind up paying for two security contracts.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:56 AM

Yeah it was a five year deal signed in 2005 so its expired luckily lol

Old 06-08-2011, 09:39 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,372,878 times
Tons of complaints:
Unbiased Vivint Customer Reviews

Old 06-08-2011, 09:45 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,046,199 times
Vivint is an automation company based in both the US and Canada. Looking at the reviews online of the company, there is a mixed bag of complaints and innuendo, positive comments here and there. It appears they are now moving into the New Jersey area after establishing themselves in the Midwest and South.

My suggestion would be to read the contract over carefully and make certain that you know exactly what was supposed to be installed and confirm that those items were installed and they function properly. Also, make certain you know exactly how each of the items function and whether or not they are compatible (ie., smoke alarms, heat senors, window and door contacts should all be connected to a specific type of panel that can "understand" the information being sent to it).

Personally, I hate the door knocker sales staff approach as it is a high-pressure sell to get anything installed possible. Usually it devolves into the customer having to buy more equipment in addition to the "base package" in order to make the system actually work. However, this may not be the case in this instance, depending upon what was sold.

Here are some links that may be helpful:

Vivint**|**simple, affordable home automation

vivint | Ripoff Report Directory | Complaints Reviews Scams Lawsuits Frauds Reported

Unbiased Vivint Customer Reviews - Mainly from Canada

If at all possible, try to hold onto the Slomin's system as you purchased it with the contract. If the Vivint techs try to remove it, I guarantee they will have no qualms about "repurposing" it for an on-the-side job they have lined up.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,456 times
Default Vivint

From New Jersey:

A Vivint salesman just left my door. I had a bad feeling about it, and kept saying no until he finally relented and left. It scared me because he had personal information. He asked for my mother who passed away six years ago. Then he knew my name. I went right to the internet after he left and checked out the company, and I see that they were flooded with complaints. They are from Utah. The license plate on his car was from Georgia. Your comment made me realize that I did the right thing. Its scares me that I could have made a big mistake.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriJG View Post
From New Jersey:

A Vivint salesman just left my door. I had a bad feeling about it, and kept saying no until he finally relented and left. It scared me because he had personal information. He asked for my mother who passed away six years ago. Then he knew my name. I went right to the internet after he left and checked out the company, and I see that they were flooded with complaints. They are from Utah. The license plate on his car was from Georgia. Your comment made me realize that I did the right thing. Its scares me that I could have made a big mistake.
You did what my dad should of done. So far Vivint has been good, it is good technology and we had no fees from slomins since we were out of contract. I would never buy anything from a door to door salesman but so far it seems okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey