Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:18 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,684 times

Advertisements

I have an honest question, and this is not meant to begin a debate as to which state has the worst drivers. However, I noticed something long ago and am beyond wondering if it is my imagination, so I am looking, I suppose, for the logic in it.

I live in Central Jersey about 15 minutes from Bucks County. Often I go over the bridge into PA in the evening (around 6:00 pm) and there are tons of PA plates coming off Rt. 1 onto 95 south. A great majority of them (> 60%) will move immediately (sometimes dangerously) across all three lanes of traffic and will settle to speed around the speed limit, sometimes a bit lower, and will NOT move over for anyone. I've seen people attempt to pass on the right and they will speed up to prevent it and drive next to another vehicle to create a block. I attempted to pass someone and they sped up to around 75 mph to prevent me from passing, then settled back to 60 mph when I got behind them.

This morning I was on my way to work and something similar to this happened again. Someone was hovering around the speed limit (a bit lower) and after waiting patiently for a few minutes I attempted to go around and they sped up (PA tag). Since I had a full clear middle lane I finally completed the pass, and afterward they made a gesture at me and moved over to the right.

There are signs all over this state that read 'keep right, pass left'. I know that this is a law here. Is this not a law in PA? Also, what is with the driving culture that they are so passive aggressive that they will not only block the passing lane, but will speed up and prevent others from passing them? I know NJ drivers have faults of their own, but PA seems to take the cake with this one-anyone have any insight here?

Last edited by NJmmadude; 05-31-2011 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 06:56 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
I have an honest question, and this is not meant to begin a debate as to which state has the worst drivers. However, I noticed something long ago and am beyond wondering if it is my imagination, so I am looking, I suppose, for the logic in it.
I've seen a good deal of some of that behavior in PA -- there seem to be drivers who like to have a "buddy" driving next to them. They'll latch on and drive the same speed as the person in the next lane. And moving to the left and driving slow is pretty standard too. I haven't seen much of the speeding up to prevent passing, though, maybe that's a Bucks County thing (I lived in Montgomery County). Or maybe it's because I typically pass at full throttle and these idiots are too slow on the draw to react.

Can't get away with that passive-aggressive stuff in NJ... too many aggressive-aggresive drivers around :-)

Old 05-31-2011, 07:33 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I've seen a good deal of some of that behavior in PA -- there seem to be drivers who like to have a "buddy" driving next to them. They'll latch on and drive the same speed as the person in the next lane. And moving to the left and driving slow is pretty standard too. I haven't seen much of the speeding up to prevent passing, though, maybe that's a Bucks County thing (I lived in Montgomery County). Or maybe it's because I typically pass at full throttle and these idiots are too slow on the draw to react.

Can't get away with that passive-aggressive stuff in NJ... too many aggressive-aggresive drivers around :-)
Hey NYbbler,

True on the aggressive-aggressive thing, I acknowledge that and am aware that we NJ drivers have our bugs too. Not saying that it happens every time with the PA drivers, and there are some courteous ones, but now and again I see this behavior and am flabbergasted by it. Thanks for your post.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:02 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,045,878 times
I've seen it too. The PA Turnpike is notorious for this stuff even west of Harrisburg in Dauphin, Franklin, Bedford, and Somerset Counties. While there are signs from time to time that tell drivers to stay to the right on some of the interstates, and there is a rule of keeping right except to pass, drivers don't follow the rule.

For whatever reason, there are a number of PA drivers who like to cruise in the fast lane and get pissed when you try to pass them. maybe it's an ego issue about their state, I dunno.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:44 PM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
For whatever reason, there are a number of PA drivers who like to cruise in the fast lane and get pissed when you try to pass them. maybe it's an ego issue about their state, I dunno.
Yes, most likely it is an ego issue.
After all, if you lived in a state where such a large percentage of people had lost most of their teeth by their 30s, wouldn't you have ego issues too?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:25 AM

83 posts, read 224,864 times
I've seen it too in PA. It's really sad and annoying. I've driven A LOT in Europe where lane etiquette is essential, and it truly is a work of art, and reduces a lot of traffic.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:27 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,886,219 times
It IS a law in Pa, just like NJ..

Old 06-01-2011, 04:49 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
It has nothing to do with PA, it happens to me here too with Jersey drivers (although it does seem some roads it happens more than others). They are just angry people who have no control in their lives and so try to take it by force on the highway. I know it's frustrating!

Old 06-01-2011, 07:36 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post

I live in Central Jersey about 15 minutes from Bucks County. Often I go over the bridge into PA in the evening (around 6:00 pm) and there are tons of PA plates coming off Rt. 1 onto 95 south. A great majority of them (> 60%) will move immediately (sometimes dangerously) across all three lanes of traffic and will settle to speed around the speed limit, sometimes a bit lower, and will NOT move over for anyone. I've seen people attempt to pass on the right and they will speed up to prevent it and drive next to another vehicle to create a block. I attempted to pass someone and they sped up to around 75 mph to prevent me from passing, then settled back to 60 mph when I got behind them.

This morning I was on my way to work and something similar to this happened again. Someone was hovering around the speed limit (a bit lower) and after waiting patiently for a few minutes I attempted to go around and they sped up (PA tag). Since I had a full clear middle lane I finally completed the pass, and afterward they made a gesture at me and moved over to the right.

There are signs all over this state that read 'keep right, pass left'. I know that this is a law here. Is this not a law in PA? Also, what is with the driving culture that they are so passive aggressive that they will not only block the passing lane, but will speed up and prevent others from passing them? I know NJ drivers have faults of their own, but PA seems to take the cake with this one-anyone have any insight here?
i grew up in Pennsylvania. Northeast. Went to college in the Lehigh Valley. I've never really experienced that consistently until I moved to NJ. In the Philly area, it happens a lot on 76. But other than that, I've only had issues with passing on the left in NJ. on my drive on I-80 or I-78 from PA to NJ, as soon as I cross the water gap, it's like instant clogged left lane...wide open right lane. everyone who has ever visited me in NJ has commented on how NJ drivers don't understand that you pass on the left, cruise on the right....most people I know IN NJ also complain about this phenomena

Last edited by bradykp; 06-01-2011 at 07:55 AM..

Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It has nothing to do with PA, it happens to me here too with Jersey drivers (although it does seem some roads it happens more than others). They are just angry people who have no control in their lives and so try to take it by force on the highway. I know it's frustrating!
it honestly seems to be most common surround cities. i understand congestion would cause people to just cruise along in general, since lane changing back and forth is mostly fruitless, but I think it's funny when people knock PA drivers. I've driven I-80, I-78, I-76, I-81, I-476, and countless state routs all over the state, and aside from a few instances, I basically always see people driving in the right lane, moving over to the left to allow people approaching on an on-ramp to merge on, and moving to the right if they were even in the left lane not passing to begin with. aside from the immediate philly area, it's mostly a pleasant state to drive through. when i moved to NJ, i just figured that the driver's license test here doesn't ask a lot of the questions i had to answer to get my license, because I am amazed at all the rules that are not only ignored, but when I speak to some of my good friends from NJ, they simply didn't know the rule existed (like....lights on when wipers are on)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: