Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 17,807 times

Advertisements

I've recently accepted a job in Manhattan, but I'm looking to commute from New Jersey as it's much more affordable. However, I'm a not very sure how much I SHOULD be spending on rent nor if I can find a place near the PATH stations for that much. Also, when I say Jersey City I'm really thinking of eastern Jersey City since I've heard from friends and family that the Journal Square area is rough. (I'd love to be proven wrong, as it's also affordable!)

I'll be making 65k/yr and the only debt I have is student loans which aren't that expensive monthly.

Could I afford either of these two places on my salary?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 04:34 PM

188 posts, read 414,640 times
Are you willing to have a roommate? Should be able to afford it, although I am only going on what I see on craigslist. Do not know if they are legit or if they are there so you contact the realtor and then they show you something else. If you do a search on craigslist for "Magnolia" they seem to have some fair priced studios (not sure about the area or the building though)...

Here is a discussion on the NYC forum with a similar question //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...iving-nyc.html

Old 06-01-2011, 06:21 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,772,397 times
I assume you are single, mid 20s? Man or woman?

Probably would want a roommate in downtown JC or Hoboken as it is quite expensive.

Journal square is not bad imo. Not sure if I would recommend a single white woman living alone, but if you are a guy it is fine.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:21 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,316,919 times
A general rule of thumb I've always heard and try to live by is that you shouldn't spend more than 1/3 of your take-home pay on rent/mortgage. This usually leaves you with enough to pay your bills, eat, have a little bit of fun, and put a little something away in savings every month. With a salary of $65,000, and making some liberal assumptions about your income tax, insurance, and 401k contributions, I'm guessing you'd come out somewhere around $3650 in monthly take-home pay. 1/3 of that is close to $1200 so I'd try to cap the rent there (run the numbers based on your own data and see where you land).

For $1200 you can find good 1-bedroom apartments in Journal Square. In downtown JC near Grove St., Paulus Hook, or Hamilton Park, you can find some studios and if you look hard enough (look in newspapers and walk around the neighborhood looking for old ladies with "for rent" signs in the window rather than relying on agent-posted craigslist ads) you can find some 1-bedroom places for $1100-1200 but without laundry, no dishwasher, no central air, etc. If you combine your $1200 with a friend's $1200 you can get something really nice for the two of you. Forget about Hoboken.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:19 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,250,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibokun View Post
I've recently accepted a job in Manhattan, but I'm looking to commute from New Jersey as it's much more affordable. However, I'm a not very sure how much I SHOULD be spending on rent nor if I can find a place near the PATH stations for that much. Also, when I say Jersey City I'm really thinking of eastern Jersey City since I've heard from friends and family that the Journal Square area is rough. (I'd love to be proven wrong, as it's also affordable!)

I'll be making 65k/yr and the only debt I have is student loans which aren't that expensive monthly.

Thanks
First congradz on the job and at 65k/year, you can afford to live in JC or Hoboken. Will need a roommate though or you will spend quite a bit. As for Journal Square being rough, it depends on where you come from. If you grew up in suburbs of say midwest or something...yeah then it may be considered rough. if you grew up in say Bronx or Queens in OK area, then no it's not rough.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:38 AM

592 posts, read 2,188,377 times
pay $1500 for a studio in newport/exchange place on a 63k salary. Good commute, very nice and safe neighborhood, and no annoying roommates. Problem solved.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:19 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibokun View Post

Thanks
i moved there in 2004 with a $50k starting salary. lived with a roomate. my share of the rent was $800. after 1 year, moved in with my gf, and rent went up to $1,000. i did fine, and wasn't up to $65 for a few years. i think you should do fine.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:25 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,372,592 times
Roomates? What are we back in college again? Who wants roomates? 65K can get you a small studio with nothing included. But beats having roomates.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:30 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,151,044 times
It all depends on what your monthly expenses are, including loans. I used to live in downtown Jersey City (Hamilton Park area) in a 1BR for $1200/mo and I made only $55k at the time. It was a nice place in a brownstone with dishwasher and laundry in the unit. I didn't have any loans so that certainly helped. If you look hard enough you can find what you need, and won't need a roomate.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:37 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
pay $1500 for a studio in newport/exchange place on a 63k salary. Good commute, very nice and safe neighborhood, and no annoying roommates. Problem solved.

I think this is the right answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey