Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:26 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,185,854 times

Advertisements

I let a deal fall through on my last house I sold based on repair requests. One of the things they asked for was all carpets in the entire house to be replaced with hardwood floors. While the carpets were old and probably needed replacing, there was no way in hell I was doing what they asked. For starters, it's not like they couldn't see the carpet when they made the offer. They should have made that part of their offer price. And the obvious ridiculousness of requesting all new hardwood floors as a replacement was enough for us to pretty much realize these people were wack jobs. And this was not a high end home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 06:27 PM

To the OP: What are you going to do if they refuse to make any repairs?

Old 06-11-2011, 06:54 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,944,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjhelp View Post
I dont know where you are getting your info from. I said the house needs cosmetic work. Of course we know that and are prepared to do it. The furnace is over 30 years old and this was not disclosed on the sellers disclosure (left blank). We were prepared to do the cosmetic work but the furnace and ac is a surprise to us. You seem oddly bitter about this post
How could it be a surprise? Didn't you see them when you looked at the house?

Old 06-11-2011, 07:03 PM

I'm not sure the average Joe knows enough about furnaces and ACs to be able to guess the age. And honestly I'm not sure they should. I don't see anything wrong for addressing it as part of the inspection, but I also don't see anything wrong with the seller saying no.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:20 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,130,808 times
^^ This. I would have no idea of the age of a furnace when looking at it.

And for the poster who doesn't understand that in the northern (not extreme northern) parts of NJ, $700 is not a real high end property. Good grief, here on SI (comparable to many parts of NNJ in prices especially), $700 will get you a semi-detached sfh, not a fully detached single family home.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:00 PM

99 posts, read 478,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm not sure the average Joe knows enough about furnaces and ACs to be able to guess the age. And honestly I'm not sure they should.
Why shouldn't the average person know this?
Quote:
I don't see anything wrong for addressing it as part of the inspection, but I also don't see anything wrong with the seller saying no.
Exactly. I would not have objected if nnjhelp brought this up during the inspection, or asked questions of the sellers, or did his own research after the inspection and before making an offer and agreeing on a consideration. My objection comes when he brings this up AFTER he has had opportunities to inspect the appliances, voiced no concerns, and the consideration has been agreed upon.

A lot of people enter into a real estate deal thinking they are buying a house and some land. But there is so much more to a house then just the siding or a fancy open house or professional looking MLS report. If you are smart enough to earn enough money or credit to purchase real estate, you should be smart enough to know basic information about the most important and costly elements of the structures on the property. You shouldn't be relying entirely on an inspection report.

A friend of mine had an inspection report for the house he bought nearly two decades ago. It suggested the furnace was old and in desperate need of replacement. That same furnace kept him very warm this past winter The inspection report contains many facts, but it can also be biased toward a particular inspectors personal opinions. He considered the points it made, but looked into things himself.

This is one of the reasons why I don't regard inspection reports as a very reliable source for determining the physical state of a house.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampLighter View Post
Why shouldn't the average person know this?
Because that would almost certainly make them above average.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:50 PM

99 posts, read 478,292 times
Quote:
Because that would almost certainly make them above average.
Thank you for the compliment!

Old 06-12-2011, 11:16 PM

505 posts, read 2,337,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
To answer your question, Are the sellers contiuing to market the property? That is very unethical to do, once an offer has been accepted. (Unless this is a short sale) [Against our code of ethics.]
Our code of ethics states that we have to present any and all offers up until the time of closing in a timely manner....nowhere does it say don't show it b/c it has an accepted offer. There's nothing unethical about it - shady, yes. Great way to push a buyer away, yes. But perfectly legal.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:54 AM

4,170 posts, read 4,187,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymarine View Post
Our code of ethics states that we have to present any and all offers up until the time of closing in a timely manner....nowhere does it say don't show it b/c it has an accepted offer. There's nothing unethical about it - shady, yes. Great way to push a buyer away, yes. But perfectly legal.

I had the same problem with my current home. They continue to market even under contract and my mortgage is secured.

No only they continue to market, they actually listed the property 15% more than my offer. They said they no longer showing the property to anymore. I was ****.

I told my broker to call them to remove it or I will walk away from the deal, and they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey