Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,228 times

Advertisements

I switched to FIOS because of Optimum's ever increasing bills that are now approaching $200.00 and every time I'd complain they would lower the bill $25-$30.00, but then it would creep up again.
I got tired of this B.S. and switched to FIOS's $79.00 bundle offer for 2 years. The problem is that the wifi is too slow for the computor - I feel like I went back 25 years to dial-up.
The cust service tech person says that the router should have been connected within 10 feet of the computers and they want to charge a fee to send someone over to reconnect it - MORE B.S.:
I'm very dissatisfied at this point and I'm thinking of cancelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 04:11 AM

324 posts, read 575,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joselito58 View Post
I switched to FIOS because of Optimum's ever increasing bills that are now approaching $200.00 and every time I'd complain they would lower the bill $25-$30.00, but then it would creep up again.
I got tired of this B.S. and switched to FIOS's $79.00 bundle offer for 2 years. The problem is that the wifi is too slow for the computor - I feel like I went back 25 years to dial-up.
The cust service tech person says that the router should have been connected within 10 feet of the computers and they want to charge a fee to send someone over to reconnect it - MORE B.S.:
You shouldn't have switched to FiOS. They suck. While other cable companies like Comcast and Optimum will openly rip you off, at least they will give you your money back when you ask.

Good luck trying to cancel FiOS - they don't care about your dissatisfaction. They're going to charge you a huge cancellation fee.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:29 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
What internet speed did you sign up for? I have 50/25 Mbps and it's outstanding. I've had Fios for 5 years and love everything about it.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:48 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Those are the exact reasons I switched FROM fils to optimum. I got a 2 yr "bundle" of phone/internet/cable with hbo/sho/starz for a bit over 100 a month. The way I saved some real money was I bought a Tivo and a mini instead of "renting" the cable dvrs and have much better features. Saves me almost $40 a month.

Also, I had heard horrible things about the customer service but the optimum guy hooked up the tiro for me, and when I was having issues with the mini upstairs, he came back free of charge and fixed it.

So far so good.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:56 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
What internet speed did you sign up for? I have 50/25 Mbps and it's outstanding. I've had Fios for 5 years and love everything about it.
I went with 35/35 because I upload a lot as part of my business.

I am so glad that I have FIOS, especially now that they have stopped building it out and will probably never start again now that wireless is ruling everything.

As an agent, I am already seeing that some buyers are requesting only FIOS communities to live in. I personally agree. I would never live in a non-FIOS community. It is that important in this day and age, especially if you work from home.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:58 AM

324 posts, read 575,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I went with 35/35 because I upload a lot as part of my business.

I am so glad that I have FIOS, especially now that they have stopped building it out and will probably never start again now that wireless is ruling everything.

As an agent, I am already seeing that some buyers are requesting only FIOS communities to live in. I personally agree. I would never live in a non-FIOS community. It is that important in this day and age, especially if you work from home.
Do you mean 75/35? Other companies offer 50/25 (or faster). Is this what you're comparing it to? Of course, there are other factors besides advertised speeds.

Most people (even people who work from home) do not need slightly faster internet speeds. It seems like a foolish reason to exclude great communities from your search area. Also, with internet technology changing so rapidly, currently available speeds should have little effect on a long term decision like buying a house.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:58 AM

800 posts, read 1,297,603 times
i've had optimum and comcast and have had fios since the day it was available to me about 3 years ago and it was a huge factor in where i choose to live after i moved from my first fios apartment. it will be a big factor in my house buying checklist as well. its thats much better!

i have 75/35 speed and every channel possible for a very reasonable fee

Old 05-27-2014, 07:17 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post
Do you mean 75/35? Other companies offer 50/25 (or faster). Is this what you're comparing it to? Of course, there are other factors besides advertised speeds.

Most people (even people who work from home) do not need slightly faster internet speeds. It seems like a foolish reason to exclude great communities from your search area. Also, with internet technology changing so rapidly, currently available speeds should have little effect on a long term decision like buying a house.
I actually have an older plan, only 35/35. I am going to upgrade today and lower my bill a bit. However, FIOS, unlike Optimum or any other provider, is also available in something like 500/100 if you want to pay extra. Nothing comes close to that kind of power. For Internet-centric people like me, I would not buy a house unless it had FIOS availability. And I have had that request from some buyers also. Not the majority, but for elite computer geeks, FIOS isn't everything, it's the only thing.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:12 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
For those who aren't heavy downloaders and just web surfers and only 1-2 people at home you can use freedompop

It's LTE wireless service, you get 500mb free each month and for 2GB of data it's only less than $20/month.

If you don't watch cable, OTA signal with antenna is perfectly fine.

I think it's ridiculous that people pay over $130 for TV and internet and they hardly use both.

For people that just surf the web daily and no downloading, each month you probably don't even use more than 500mb of data while you must pay $50+ in a package or $79/month standalone internet.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:16 AM

800 posts, read 1,297,603 times
i use about 3 gigs a month on my cell phone alone and thats with me connected to my wifi when at home too. 2gb of data will disappear quickly in a home use environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey