Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:29 PM

55 posts, read 208,818 times

Advertisements

Hi!
We are relocating and would like to rent our 2 bedroom/2 bath condo in edgewater. I got a realtor but that doesn't seem to be working - I havent got any leads from him at all. I am wondering what else I can do to make this process go faster. I did advertise on a couple of web-sites too.
If anybody has had a similar situation and can tell me their experiences it would be great!!We have to move in a months time and I am beginning to get super-anxious!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 08:23 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,964 times
Did you try posting on Craigslist?

Old 08-11-2007, 08:29 AM

1,289 posts, read 6,097,349 times
NJGUY beat me to it. Craigslist is great for searching as well as listing. Try them. As long as you are priced right, you should have no problems.

As for working with a realtor, problem is many do not treat rentals as listings because they do not get paid enough. I think that is the wrong mentality but what are you going to do, it is just the way it is.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:39 PM

Hi !!Both of you - I did have my listing on craigslist and then the realtor insisted I take mine off because he wanted to put up his ad up for my apartment on craigslist. He said it was going to be a waste of his time and marketing efforts if I found the tenant by myself. I removed my listing so he could put his and now I am not sure that was the right thing to do.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:12 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becky609 View Post
Hi !!Both of you - I did have my listing on craigslist and then the realtor insisted I take mine off because he wanted to put up his ad up for my apartment on craigslist. He said it was going to be a waste of his time and marketing efforts if I found the tenant by myself. I removed my listing so he could put his and now I am not sure that was the right thing to do.
That's a tough one and You don't have too much time either unfortunately.

Do You have to move?? - just kidding!

Maybe you can make a deal with that realtor to keep on listing while you list on Craigslist yourself - Tell her/him that time is short. What's the worse that can happen?

The problem with realtors as I'm sure you know is that the tenant has to give the realty company and extra months rent money as their commission. And in Edgewater rents are no longer as I would say CHEAP anymore. I live close enough in a neighboring town to know how your town has changed dramatically over the last 7 years or so.

Maybe a realtor can respond here in which they can tell you how they would've handled this from their side of things.

Becky, I wish you the best of luck!

Take care!

Old 08-11-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Are you sure that his went up. The explanation he stated does not seem to make much sense. As much advertising as possible is the main goal. If his ad is on there for sure then great but if it isn't then he is not helping you at all with getting it out there.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:50 PM

Hi you both!!
Thank you so much for your replies - just venting on the forum makes it easier on me and my stress..... His listing did go up on craigslist. We signed papers to let him list it on NJMLS - I am just wondering if it is possible to just change realtors?I just found out that there are plenty of realtors who are ok if we do the advertising too. I don't know if the process to do so is complicated though! I also kind of feel bad too because he seemed like a nice guy but I guess renting my apt out is more important at this point?
I am so antsy because I have so little time.........

Old 08-12-2007, 09:16 PM

NOBODYELSE has rented their apt before in and around edgewater?

Old 08-12-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Hi you both!!
Thank you so much for your replies - just venting on the forum makes it easier on me and my stress..... His listing did go up on craigslist. We signed papers to let him list it on NJMLS - I am just wondering if it is possible to just change realtors?I just found out that there are plenty of realtors who are ok if we do the advertising too. I don't know if the process to do so is complicated though! I also kind of feel bad too because he seemed like a nice guy but I guess renting my apt out is more important at this point?
I am so antsy because I have so little time.........
You can change realtors once your listing expires. I am not sure how long you signed the contract for but if you do not see him doing anything for you, try someone else when the contract expires.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:37 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,727 times
Quote:
He wanted you to take the ad off so he could get paid. Put the ad back up to get some fire under him. If you rent it yourself too bad for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: