Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 08:11 PM

34 posts, read 88,414 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information about the autism program at Somerville School District? My son is 7 yrs old and will be going into the 2nd grade. We currently live in S. Brunswick and the autism program is great here but we are now seeking to live closer to family and purchase a bigger home.

Any information is appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 10:56 PM

85 posts, read 215,542 times
I recommend calling the Somerville district and asking if they even have an autism program.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:18 AM

284 posts, read 617,224 times
In some districts, they are not willing to talk to you on what they will or will not offer in special ed (I assumed it was for the reason that special services are expensive) until you register your child.
BTW, I have tried..
But then it never hurts to try

Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna_mom View Post
In some districts, they are not willing to talk to you on what they will or will not offer in special ed (I assumed it was for the reason that special services are expensive) until you register your child.
BTW, I have tried..
But then it never hurts to try
If they don't have something suitable, then prepare to fight for Out Of District Placement.

If you need any help with advocacy, feel free to direct message me. I am a member of a forum of advocates around the country (and quite a few in the tri-state area)

Old 08-04-2011, 11:09 AM

34 posts, read 88,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM402 View Post
If they don't have something suitable, then prepare to fight for Out Of District Placement.

If you need any help with advocacy, feel free to direct message me. I am a member of a forum of advocates around the country (and quite a few in the tri-state area)
Thank you! I will definitely take you up on your offer if needed. Based on your experience what town in NJ have you found to work well with parents and really care about the success of the child?

Old 08-04-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherilgrl View Post
Thank you! I will definitely take you up on your offer if needed. Based on your experience what town in NJ have you found to work well with parents and really care about the success of the child?
No specific towns, but a lot of towns will try their best to work with the parents, but ultimately fail with more difficult cases (Such as Hazlet, but in Hazlet, if they feel that they cannot handle your child, they will offer an OOD placement, they send around 100-150 students out of 4000 in the district OOD a year, at like a cost of close to a million dollars)

Any district that is one of the top districts in the state for test scores is not a good environment for a special education student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey