Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 10:08 AM
pvs pvs started this thread

1,845 posts, read 3,365,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The 70% of PATH ridership is to or from Urban Jersey , only 30% go to NYC.
What is your source for this data? PATH has no exit turnstile counts, as does DC, for instance. So how do you get Origin/Destination data? Boarding data shows 43% NYC vs 57% NJ for 2010 and 2011, but that data does not show where people exit the system. Do you have access to a recent ridership survey?

The Transit Community / Groups have proposed the following
-Get Rid of the Photography ban on all PA Property , if your charging that much , freedom of speech should not be suppressed
And this would help keep costs down ... how? Exactly who would benefit?

-Have zone based fares , 1.80$ for Urban Jersey and 2.50$ for NYC
Doing so would require several millions of dollars in a new Capital Program to install exit card readers and barricades at each station, ultimately slowing down the flow of traffic. It would not add a dime to revenues, so fares would need to be increased to pay for the infrastructure mods. And people would be unhappy about waiting in long queues to exit the station, not to mention the security risk.

-Create a Disabled Fare @ 1.20$
This could happen, but again, how does this keep average prices of fare media down?

-Install Platform Screen doors and AC at Newport , 14th Street , and 23rd Streets
And I guess air-condition the tunnels, too. Again, more capital improvement $$$ without a perk to revenue. How does this help keep prices down? Why not crystal chandeliers and marble trimming on all the platforms and mezzanines?

-Paint the Dock and Hack Bridges , for what we all pay whether its NJT , PATH or Amtrak those bridges should be painted
While I agree they ARE an eyesore, this is still more $$$ spent with no apparent return-on-investment. It has very little/nothing to do with a PATH Fare hike.

-Reduce the conductors on each train from 3 to 1 , the Newer trains really don't need a whole crew to operate them
While this would add to the existing unemployment figures, it would save a minimal piece of the overall operating costs. Of course, then litter and vandalism would increase, effectively negating any savings, not to mention quality-of-life issues as increases in groping and muggings would likely occur. It is also a security concern should something terrible happen in one of the tunnels.
See replies in red, above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
think of all the additional phoographers and facebook enthusiasts that would visit the path stations if they were allowed to take pictures. the revenue increase could amount to billions!

btw, according the pvs data,it looks to me like its more like 80% nj to nyc/nyc to nj traffic not 30%.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
btw, according the pvs data,it looks to me like its more like 80% nj to nyc/nyc to nj traffic not 30%.
In the absence of exit turnstile counts, it's really hard to say without access to O/D studies (which would only provide a rough estimate). I WILL say that trains out of Newark see a large detraining at JSQ, most of them getting onto the trains to 33rd street. I don't know how many of them depart before Christopher (and thus, in NJ).

But I DO think his numbers are in error, which is why I asked for his source. It would be nice if he could share a rider survey that supports his statistics.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:09 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
The PA stated the PATH has a Jersey Centric ridership base , the highest used stations are all in NJ except the WTC. The lowest used stations are on the the 33rd line..

Old 08-07-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The PA stated the PATH has a Jersey Centric ridership base , the highest used stations are all in NJ except the WTC. The lowest used stations are on the the 33rd line..
Interesting. Where did they state this? Can you provide a link? My figures DO show such a trend, but I'm having trouble coming close to your 70%-30% figures.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:53 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Interesting. Where did they state this? Can you provide a link? My figures DO show such a trend, but I'm having trouble coming close to your 70%-30% figures.
its very sweet of you to pretend that he may not have just made up his numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey