Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to New Jersey: transplants, taxes, buy a home, real estate, market.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 01:20 AM
EB2 EB2 started this thread

1,925 posts, read 6,366,252 times

Advertisements

What brought you to the state, and why?

Do you regret it or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 02:23 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
I my case (1987) it was either transfer or hit the bricks. At the time I had 15 years with my company so I chose continued employment. It was nice for several years but now the taxes, corruption and judicial legislation has got me ready to bolt.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:38 AM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
We came here in 1985. With 3 kids it was tough climbing 2 flights of stairs. So we bought a 4 bedroom ranch and at that time taxes were $2950. Now we're up to $7500 and the kids are just about out of the house.

So it's very close to downsizing the house and taxes. It's either South Jersey (wife's choice) or Delaware (my chioce).

It's been a great ride and we loved living here. But the cost has gotten out of control.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:57 AM

45 posts, read 165,012 times
I came to NJ in 2002. It has been good to me. Now, paying taxes of $4800 and I don't even have a yard, just a balcony! Put the townhouse on the in July! Currently, living in Georgia and looking to purchase a home here in the next 3mons.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:31 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
What brought you to the state, and why? Do you regret it or not?
We moved to the shore in the 90's because we felt that the real estate in the area was going to explode at the turn of the century. Nice to be right for a change!

Although the real estate market is taking a breather, there is still so much upside to this southern tip of the Jersey shore. People continue to come here from other areas to retire, or to raise their kids in a safe environment, as well as buy their vacation home to get away from their regular fast-paced routine. They buy not only on the coast, but on the mainland. It is green and pretty, you can have a piece of ground with a swimming pool, yet drive to the beach in just minutes. It is amazing to see where the people come from, not just Philadelphia and North Jersey, but New York, Washington D.C., Ohio, Connecticut, Florida, Canada and from as far away as California, England and Switzerland! It is just amazing.

Okay, having said that... I had a difficult adjustment at first. There was not much down here compared to the PA suburbs we left and I did have many moments of regret. There was also a slower paced lifestyle and very friendly people to make up for that, so we persevered.

It took years before I felt "settled" here, it helped that the kids were little and I could involve myself with their activities and schools and could meet other parents. Through much prayer and many walks on the beach, I felt that this is where God wanted us to be, and I shouldn't give up.

We now live in a very nice home overlooking a golf course - it's like a little piece of heaven. Actually...a BIG peice of heaven so after the kids graduate from h.s. we'll be downsizing.

So after all these years, and seeing so many changes to this area (civilization has arrived) I am very glad to have had the experience of living here and raising our family here. We know many nice people in our wonderful community, we work hard but also enjoy great friends and have lots of fun. New Jersey may be a high tax state, but I know that we would not have had the same opportunities that we have enjoyed here if we had stayed in PA.

EB2: Check out this thread for more insight into your question:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-jersey-2.html

Old 01-28-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
We moved to the shore in the 90's because we felt that the real estate in the area was going to explode at the turn of the century. Nice to be right for a change!

Although the real estate market is taking a breather, there is still so much upside to this southern tip of the Jersey shore. People continue to come here from other areas to retire, or to raise their kids in a safe environment, as well as buy their vacation home to get away from their regular fast-paced routine. They buy not only on the coast, but on the mainland. It is green and pretty, you can have a piece of ground with a swimming pool, yet drive to the beach in just minutes. It is amazing to see where the people come from, not just Philadelphia and North Jersey, but New York, Washington D.C., Ohio, Connecticut, Florida, Canada and from as far away as California, England and Switzerland! It is just amazing.

Okay, having said that... I had a difficult adjustment at first. There was not much down here compared to the PA suburbs we left and I did have many moments of regret. There was also a slower paced lifestyle and very friendly people to make up for that, so we persevered.

It took years before I felt "settled" here, it helped that the kids were little and I could involve myself with their activities and schools and could meet other parents. Through much prayer and many walks on the beach, I felt that this is where God wanted us to be, and I shouldn't give up.

We now live in a very nice home overlooking a golf course - it's like a little piece of heaven. Actually...a BIG peice of heaven so after the kids graduate from h.s. we'll be downsizing.

So after all these years, and seeing so many changes to this area (civilization has arrived) I am very glad to have had the experience of living here and raising our family here. We know many nice people in our wonderful community, we work hard but also enjoy great friends and have lots of fun. New Jersey may be a high tax state, but I know that we would not have had the same opportunities that we have enjoyed here if we had stayed in PA.

EB2: Check out this thread for more insight into your question:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-jersey-2.html
I love your outlook on all of that. I've been reading through some of the topics, and I've seen a decent amount of negative comments =[.

I myself, am living in Florida (originally from Michigan, but I was brought here when I was 11), but plan on moving to NJ (I'd like to transfer colleges from here to there). I've known a lot of people from all over NJ who tell me I'll absolutely love it. Of course, there are the negative people, as there are with anywhere. Yeah, NJ may be very expensive, but every state has its pitfall... For example, my city is a highly populated, and expensive place. Much of Florida is expensive unless you get around the rural/just being urbanized areas.

I'm excited despite some of the negativity I've read, nonetheless.

Thanks for your positiveness. It's people like you that make me more excited to go.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:07 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
I love your outlook on all of that. I've been reading through some of the topics, and I've seen a decent amount of negative comments =[.

I myself, am living in Florida (originally from Michigan, but I was brought here when I was 11), but plan on moving to NJ (I'd like to transfer colleges from here to there). I've known a lot of people from all over NJ who tell me I'll absolutely love it. Of course, there are the negative people, as there are with anywhere. Yeah, NJ may be very expensive, but every state has its pitfall... For example, my city is a highly populated, and expensive place. Much of Florida is expensive unless you get around the rural/just being urbanized areas.

I'm excited despite some of the negativity I've read, nonetheless.

Thanks for your positiveness. It's people like you that make me more excited to go.
Thank you EB2 - you just made my day! If I can answer any questions for you, just PM me and I'll be glad to help anyway I'm able.
What NJ colleges have you been looking into? We're into the college-hunt for DS. Good luck to you!

Old 01-28-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
Thank you EB2 - you just made my day! If I can answer any questions for you, just PM me and I'll be glad to help anyway I'm able.
What NJ colleges have you been looking into? We're into the college-hunt for DS. Good luck to you!
I've been looking at Montclair for about 3-4 years...I've also considered William Paterson (Seton Hall is really nice too - but being private, their tuition isn't as friendly as WPU's or MSU's [though, Montclair was one of the main things that got me so interested in NJ...and through research and the like, I've kinda "fallen" for it over the years.) I'm planning on going to a county college first for at least a year so I can become a NJ resident...and as for the CC's, I've looked at CCM/PCCC and ECC (I'll probably end up living in Essex...renting a room [hopefully the western half of the county...I've found some decent prices on craigslist and roommates.com]..but I've heard good stuff about CCM).

I'm sure I'll have questions, and once I do, I'll ask you.

Thank you, and the same to you as well!

Old 01-28-2007, 09:33 AM

16 posts, read 21,451 times
Default Eb2

New Jersey is a wonderful state to live in and if I could help you could PM also. The #1 complaint is high property taxes. So just be careful when deciding in which town that you move into. Make sure you check the property taxes. You will love the shore region, Atlantic City, New York and Philly. All the negativity about people being rude is not true. As for the people moving out of state 90 percent seem to say this is because the property taxes are too high. Some of the people just moved too far from where they work and complain about the commute, most made that decision when they moved and after a couple of years complain about it. So look for a place close to where you work with ot to high property taxes. Good luck and welcome from Jersey lover.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Lover View Post
New Jersey is a wonderful state to live in and if I could help you could PM also. The #1 complaint is high property taxes. So just be careful when deciding in which town that you move into. Make sure you check the property taxes. You will love the shore region, Atlantic City, New York and Philly. All the negativity about people being rude is not true. As for the people moving out of state 90 percent seem to say this is because the property taxes are too high. Some of the people just moved too far from where they work and complain about the commute, most made that decision when they moved and after a couple of years complain about it. So look for a place close to where you work with ot to high property taxes. Good luck and welcome from Jersey lover.
Thank you!

It's something I've thought about several years, so it's not a spur of the moment type thing.

I'm looking at western Essex...renting a room (I've found most range between 540-800)...though some might say that's expensive for a room (that have lived elsewhere)...eh, most/all of the utilities and such are said to be included, as well as most of the places I've seen offer furnished bedrooms. It's really not that bad of a price when I compare to what we have here...and then my income's also lower.

As far as rude people, I've found it not to be true with most of the people I've met. I've met people from Newark who look "mean" but have been really nice. I guess it all depends on the people you encounter...so far, aside to a few people (but every place is going to have a few rude people!), I've liked the people I've met.

Thank you for being so positive, too...you're helping me stay encouraged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey