Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:37 AM

687 posts, read 3,250,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The ONLY thing that I could see wrong with the place is NOT the place itself..but the kind of buyer you have to attract. Meaning with only two bedrooms and one is usually used as an office or nursery. That limits your choices to either couples (young couples or retirees) People with no no kids or only one child. There honestly isnt enough room (not square footage wise..just bedroom wise), For a family with an average of 2 kids.
Precisely. This development attracts a very specific buyer. Most of the people living here are high income professionals in their late twenties and early thirties, who had no kids when they bought, with the exception of a few couples who bought here after their kids grew up. We would be staying if not for the reason you've mentioned--we have a baby and would like to have another.

Anyone have any ideas on publications to target these specific buyers? That has been our predicament. We really need to target first time buyers who currently rent in the city or North Jersey (us 5 years ago), but can't afford to buy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 08:15 AM

222 posts, read 1,025,690 times
Quote:
We really need to target first time buyers who currently rent in the city or North Jersey (us 5 years ago), but can't afford to buy there.
I think $389 is out of range for most first time buyers. I think that's part of the problem with real estate right now. There's no new buyers, just a lot of people trading houses.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:25 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusher View Post
I think $389 is out of range for most first time buyers. I think that's part of the problem with real estate right now. There's no new buyers, just a lot of people trading houses.
HMMNNN do you think? Most power couples in their 20's who are white collar workers (you guys know what I mean..the hipsters and yuppies)...are making each over 100k a year..in fact I dont know anyone who doesnt live in the city who doesnt make less than 150k....So you have at least 200-300k in income comming in from a couple.

If we are going back to the traditional model of having a mortgage of 2-3 times your income...in "theory"..then a couple (or individual) who makes 100-200k per year...will be able to afford this home.

I think you should try out craigs list..you never know what leads might pop up. And word it to target that market specifically..dont worry about being snobby or uppity...you want your townhome SOLD right..so target that BUYER!!!!

You may luck out and find a single bachelor looking for a nice pad in a shee shee place! And try the artsy type of magazines or publications...who would appreciate the work you put into the place.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:38 AM

222 posts, read 1,025,690 times
Quote:
HMMNNN do you think? Most power couples in their 20's who are white collar workers (you guys know what I mean..the hipsters and yuppies)...are making each over 100k a year..in fact I dont know anyone who doesnt live in the city who doesnt make less than 150k....So you have at least 200-300k in income comming in from a couple.
Well with a median income of about $57k, (from: Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), I'd say most NJers can't afford it, especially the first time home buyers. Even if one person made over $100k working in NYC, would both people be working there? Why on earth would you live in Parlin if you were both commuting to NYC every day?

I'd say there's much fewer "power couples in their 20's" then you imagine which means the target market to sell to is going to be really small.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:03 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
Perhaps..I was just relating to people that I know...but I guess regardless of the stats,...the OP needs someone who can fall within those income guidelines.

I was really just talking about hte yuppies and hipsters, the wall streeters, the doctors, lawyers and such..who would have the income to support such a mortgage. If I read the the threads on city data..an income of 100k has almost become minimum wage...again...thanks for the clarification...

Its always good to get all viewpoints :-)

Old 08-16-2007, 09:22 AM

79 posts, read 498,624 times
I think the home shows beautifully.....paint and furniture settings are well done. I just think for the amount money its too expensive for just a 2 bdrms. If "power couple" make $100-$200k a year- then they will probably can pay that amount for a single-family home.

How long has it been on the market? You may want to reduced the price.

Wishing you a fast sell...

Old 08-16-2007, 09:49 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Juliann
When my daughter was selling her 2 bedroom townhome. We wondered who the buyer might turn out to be.
It had a nice finished basement like yours, divided into a bedroom area and a sitting living room area. French doors inbetween, and glass doors with a walk out.
It never did turn out to be the young couple, alone or with one child.
It went to an older lady who was going to live in the main and upper levels.
The basement area was going to be her older daughters domain.
You just never know how things will work out.
We were surprised, and she got exactly what she was hoping for, the exact amount.
I think your home is very nice. I love how you worked the fireplace area. Darn, with this market, that things are just taking longer.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:08 AM

687 posts, read 3,250,762 times
Quote:
How long has it been on the market? You may want to reduced the price.
We just reduced on Tuesday, so not yet. We went on the market May 26, did one drop after four weeks, and now this drop. We're doing an open house on the 26th, so hopefully that'll really help....

Old 08-16-2007, 06:22 PM

79 posts, read 498,624 times
WOW- 2x reduced price and no offer......it's the market.

I hope your open house on the 26th brings plenty and many offers.....

Wish you the best of luck in this really slow market.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:30 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
I'm going to be brave. Very, very brave....

Please take a look at my listing and post any feedback you might have. Thanks!

http://www.weichert.com/search/realestate/PropertyListing.aspx?P=12612247&cityid=39240%2c458 37&ptypeid=28%2c21&pg=2 (broken link)
Julia, I love it! I love the colors and the way the furniture is placed is simular to the way mine is placed.
The only problem I see is that its 2 Bedrooms so it limits who will buy it. I am not familar with the pricing in your area.
I do know that 3 homes just sold in my old development in Manalapan and I received $20,000 more . It seems I started the trend and all 3 left NJ.
Good Luck! I used Weichert Marlboro for my sale and I know they do a good marketing Job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey