Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:37 PM

5 posts, read 21,185 times

Advertisements

After hurricane Irene came throught our town (Passaic NJ) a very deep hole opened up in front of my parents home on the grassy area between the sidewalk and the curb. The county removed a very large decaying tree from the same area a few years ago. Who is responsible for the repair of the hole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 02:50 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,798 times
The town should repair the hole and quickly since if the hole expands and it cracks the sidewalk, your parents are responsible for the sidewalk. Your parents will have to call the town everyday for weeks until they actually come out to fix it. Most towns are great at emergency repairs but not so good with fixing non life threatening things.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:07 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,693,938 times
It's my understanding that the homeowner is responsible for the land (grass) between the sidewalk and the curb.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:14 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
If you own the land and the town simply has an easement for the sidewalk, you're responsible. If the town owns the land, they're responsible.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:31 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,825 times
In Bloomfield, the homeowner is responsible even though they don't own the land. I would still try to get the town to take care of it.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:23 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,225 times
Funny how township trees are planted in this section of the property, yet if you wanted to cut it down I am sure you are not allowed. If they cut down due to decay/death, they should be responsible for the safe repair of the hole in the event someone were to fall in it. Would you be allowed to plant your tree in this area between the curb and sidewalk? I bet not.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:34 AM

thanks all.. I found out that the homeowner is responsible for repair and your homeowners insurance will only cover the cost if you have flood insurance and earthquake insurance. The city planted the tree and the county removed the tree but the homeowner is responsible? WHAT SENSE DOES THAT MAKE!!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 07:33 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter375 View Post
thanks all.. I found out that the homeowner is responsible for repair and your homeowners insurance will only cover the cost if you have flood insurance and earthquake insurance. The city planted the tree and the county removed the tree but the homeowner is responsible? WHAT SENSE DOES THAT MAKE!!!!
Wow, I live in Hawthorne and my town just repaired the hole left by a removed tree in the exact same circumstance. Same county different policy...weird.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:58 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
In Bloomfield, the homeowner is responsible even though they don't own the land. I would still try to get the town to take care of it.

Hey Brook,

The City came through Wed to remove some garbage I have sitting on the curbe from the destroyed basement. They used one of those dump trucks to scoop up the trash. I guess they hit the side walk too hard and broken the curb in front of my home, would I be responsible for that?

Old 09-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Wow, I live in Hawthorne and my town just repaired the hole left by a removed tree in the exact same circumstance. Same county different policy...weird.

Crazy isn't it.. I live on a county road and the city doesn't maintain county roads, at least not in Passaic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey