Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 03:04 PM

11,366 posts, read 16,743,076 times

Advertisements

Gee...guess I should have said stop the spending where unnecessary and that's in every part of govt.

As fas as taxing the wealthy to pay their fair share. It's a known fact that close to 50% of the people in the nation don't pay taxes period....and that's the non-wealthly people.

The NJ Gov't has been squandering our tax money way before Christie came into office and most of it he has no control over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 03:17 PM

19,156 posts, read 25,390,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
The NJ Gov't has been squandering our tax money way before Christie came into office and most of it he has no control over.
Well, he does have control over which of his fat-cat cronies get the inside track for lucrative contracts, as NJexpat already pointed out. Somehow, you seem to dodge that very real issue.

But...I would greatly appreciate it if you were to reveal your secrets for how to effectively cut spending in NJ without penalizing the elderly and disabled, without jeopardizing public safety, without gutting environmental protection, without shutting down the state parks, without allowing our roads and bridges to further deteriorate, without adding more folks to the unemployment rolls, without further reducing services at the MVC...

I'm sure that we could all benefit from your insights.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Well, he does have control over which of his fat-cat cronies get the inside track for lucrative contracts, as NJexpat already pointed out. Somehow, you seem to dodge that very real issue.

But...I would greatly appreciate it if you were to reveal your secrets for how to effectively cut spending in NJ without penalizing the elderly and disabled, without jeopardizing public safety, without gutting environmental protection, without shutting down the state parks, without allowing our roads and bridges to further deteriorate, without adding more folks to the unemployment rolls, without further reducing services at the MVC...

I'm sure that we could all benefit from your insights.
It's called consolidation.

No need to have 566 muni's in the state.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
It's called consolidation.

No need to have 566 muni's in the state.

I agree with you, Camaro!
Now, what has our esteemed governor done to promote consolidation?

Old 09-25-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I agree with you, Camaro!
Now, what has our esteemed governor done to promote consolidation?
While he has talked about it, it is a major uphill battle that might not be winable....until the state actually goes bankrupt.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:30 PM

234 posts, read 940,782 times
Quote:
While he has talked about it, it is a major uphill battle that might not be winable....until the state actually goes bankrupt.
So you are hoping that the State goes bankrupt in order to promote your solution?

What a patriot!!

Old 09-26-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:

Perhaps if he had spent as much breath promoting consolidation as he has on slamming teachers and other public servants, perhaps he might actually have accomplished something in this area. Instead, character assassination is his stock in trade, rather than pushing for something that might (eventually) reduce state expenditures.

I have to tell you, Camaro, if these are the best defenses that you can present for your boy Chris, then he has very little going for him except ardent supporters who are blind to his shortcomings and at pains to find real accomplishments to cite for their support of him.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:30 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,877,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJexpat View Post
Nobody wants to penalize them, my friend - we just want them to pay their fair share of the burden.

As for your last sentence, we may finally have some agreement here. Since you seem to have all of the answers, please enliighten me on the two points that you have made:

First, how do you propose that we stop the internal corruption? You know, the squandering of hundreds of millions of dollars on contracts to Christie's incompetent cronies. A bit disingenuous here. No PROOF has been given that any money was squandered or that another contractor would have provided better, cheaper service.

Second, you state that want to stop spending. I don't know how that would work. Which would you stop? Police protection? Fire protection? Repairing roads and bridges? Everything? Please be specific. Everyone says that we should cut out the fat. I have to admit that it sounds pretty sexy, but nobody has given me the particulars of exactly what constitutes fat, and in what amounts that so-called fat should be cut.
Since none of us truly understand all of the states obligations, debt service etc. it would be hard for anyone here to give you a specific answer. Here, though, are a few suggestions: 1, Abbott districts
revamp the pension/retirement plans of state employees to resemble that of private sector employees,
3. increase public consumption tax.

I am certain that there are twenty others that can be listed, but there will always be opposition to cuts since it affects certain groups directly. And, yes, even the corporations and wealthy need to pitch in to help alleviate the budget shortfalls, but they alone can not come close to closing the budget gap. There must be shared sacrifice, which unions and public employees seem to want no part of.

Lastly, to suggest that Corslime was more upstanding than Christie is a joke. Don't bother going there.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:39 AM

234 posts, read 940,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
... to suggest that Corslime was more upstanding than Christie is a joke. Don't bother going there.
Interesting. Can you go back to my post that you object to, and point out to me where I made such a statement?

Old 09-26-2011, 09:06 AM

861 posts, read 2,720,736 times
Haven't scrolled through all 8 pages of replies, so sorry if this was already shared, but I think The Wall Street Journal is a tad more of a reliable source than "newsmax.com":

Christie Courted by GOP Donors, but Still Says No - WSJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey