Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 08:20 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its not just people who should be more discriminating, but we need better options available for our healthcare choices. when i have health insurance, im going to stay in a hospital for a weekend if they admit me where if it was out of pocket i probably would avoid it. .
Drat! I think this may be a downside to the plan...how many people might let things go until they require extensive and expensive treatment that might have been caught earlier and more cheaply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 08:29 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Drat! I think this may be a downside to the plan...how many people might let things go until they require extensive and expensive treatment that might have been caught earlier and more cheaply?
thats the thing brady mentioned about people utilizing "preventive maintenance" rather than waiting until things get more serious. i think its more a factor of healthier lifestyle (diet, exercise) than seeing a doctor regularly. but id imagine with less regulation and insurance, you could probably quickly step into a walmart and get a 50 point physical inspection by an LPN or RN for 30 bucks + choose from a menu of tests on anything else.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
thats the thing brady mentioned about people utilizing "preventive maintenance" rather than waiting until things get more serious. i think its more a factor of healthier lifestyle (diet, exercise) than seeing a doctor regularly. but id imagine with less regulation and insurance, you could probably quickly step into a walmart and get a 50 point physical inspection by an LPN or RN for 30 bucks + choose from a menu of tests on anything else.
I think this is going to become more and more common. Some drug stores are already starting to provide expanded services, too.

In the UK, Doctors get bonuses based on their patients losing weight, quitting smoking, and other preventative measures. I think a little of that would be good here, too. Right now it's too easy to just write a Rx rather than educate people on alternatives.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:15 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,585 times
Quote:
I think this is going to become more and more common. Some drug stores are already starting to provide expanded services, too.

In the UK, Doctors get bonuses based on their patients losing weight, quitting smoking, and other preventative measures. I think a little of that would be good here, too. Right now it's too easy to just write a Rx rather than educate people on alternatives.
I like that idea. If there was some sort of incentive preventative medicine would be much more popular.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:34 AM

376 posts, read 665,541 times
call me ignorant but what is the point of this whole occupy wall street, oakland, new jersey, etc thing?

Old 10-31-2011, 05:24 AM

Basically it's to protest against corporate/political greed and corruption which many feel got us into the mess we are in.

Here's a very fair and balanced explanation from Forbes Magazine: What is Occupy Wall Street? - Forbes

And here's the official website: Occupy Wall Street | NYC Protest for American Revolution

Old 10-31-2011, 06:00 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
The funny and sad thing is the people are freezing in the park and do you think the CEOs really give a crap. Do you think congress and the senate gives a crap. Your talking millionaires and billionaires that most likely worked the system to their advantage to move the ladder. If it was legal or illegal or unethical i don't really know but i do care.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:20 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
that's exactly the problem. overall, it's costlier to spend more on reactive care than on preventative care.

Quote:
healthier lifestyle is part of seeing a doctor for preventative care. there are already health clinics at places like walmart, cvs, walgreens, etc. the goal should be to drive people away from emergency rooms and to clinics like these for a lot of minor services like stitches and such, as well as driving people more towards preventative care and healthy lifestyles.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:21 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:

not to mention it's more profitable to write an Rx, since pharma reps spend a lot of time and money kissing doctors' behinds still (free lunches brought to the offices and such). not as bad as it used to be, but still a big part.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:06 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
you could also google the other $19.5B that was loaned out to companies other than Solyndra. that was one tiny little piece of a total program (implemented by GWB by the way!). It's nice when you can cling to one little failure though when the overall program has been quite successful at job creation and spurring investment in green technologies.
brady, did you know about the following company when you claimed the progam has been successful? do you know (as a matter of fact that we know you always present) that there are no other companies on the verge of failure?

Second Energy Department-backed company goes bankrupt - The Hill's E2-Wire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey