Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:25 AM

1 posts, read 7,125 times

Advertisements

Hi, myself 27 and my girlfriend 23 would be moving to New Jersey next month and would be working in Franklin Lakes. I'm from Charlotte, NC and to be very honest this is my first time in NJ and don't have much idea about the neighborhood. So I'm looking for a relatively safe area and something not too far from F.Lakes (approx 30 mins commute) and not too expensive either (ideally around $1200 or so for rent). Also as I'm habituated with happening downtown culture, I would prefer some sort of young life around ... Any suggestions would be a great help for me ... Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 08:17 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
I might try Montclair and Morristown first, maybe Ridgewood too.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:38 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I might try Montclair and Morristown first, maybe Ridgewood too.
For $1200? Not likely.

OP, in case you don't know, Franklin Lakes is one of the wealthiest towns in the country, and this whole area in general is very expensive. $1200 might be a generous budget in many areas, but it's modest here.

My first recommendation for you would be Hawthorne. It's a pretty nice town, not crazy expensive by this area's standards, and it's not too far from Franklin Lakes. They have a pretty nice downtown area, although it's not as popular or swingin' as some other downtowns in fancier areas. (But you'd be just a few minutes away from the far more cosmopolitan and prestigious downtown of Ridgewood.) I'd also check out Saddle Brook and Fair Lawn. $1200 might be a stretch in Fair Lawn, but it may find you something. You might also be able to find something real modest in some parts of Wayne, which is a very nice town. Good luck!

Old 05-28-2011, 05:41 PM

3 posts, read 9,709 times
Franklin lakes is indeed one of the wealthiest towns in the US...many celebs live there (unbeknownst to others). I live in North Haledon, which is the town next to FL. You will find rent there if you look hard, or know the right folks. Right up the road is William Paterson College, which is in Haledon & Wayne (parts of the school sit in both towns). In my opinion, some parts of Hawthorne are "ok", but like "Haledon" (not North Haledon, there is a distinct difference, although 3 towns all share the same zip code-Haledon, North Haledon & Prospect Park), Hawthorne is heading downhill. There are a few nice sections left, which are on the Glen Rock, Wyckoff border.
Other options close to FL, are Wyckoff, Glen Rock, Midland Park. Ridgewood has the nicest downtown of all & the person who mentioned Montclair (yes very cute downtown), but PRICEY & too far for you to travel to FL for work...the traffic is awful coming from there & unfortunately, you will have to navigate coming through Paterson (basically a ghetto, with only a few nice areas left & not where you will want to live) North Haledon's only drawback is like FL, it doesn't have a cutesy downtown area...we have a very small "main st" type area, with your typical pizza place, deli, hair & nail salon & a few Italian restaurants. Bank, vet's office & a few other shops, but nothing fancy. We have a lovely town park/rec center & also if you like hiking or trails, easy access to High Mountain via William Paterson College entrance. Wayne in my opinion is too big & busy, no real "downtown" area, just little strip malls, big box stores etc. Fair lawn is crowded & tight & personally I don't find much too exciting about it either. Oakland is also an option & borders FL, as well as Ramsey, Allendale & Mahwah. All of these are in Bergen County where you will pay a higher rental.
If you need more help, feel free to ask. I've lived in Haledon, then North Haledon, for my entire life (42yrs) & can tell you just about anything you want to know about the area! Hope this helps!
Regards,
Kimberly

Old 05-29-2011, 10:16 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Hi TTS,

$1,200 will not go very far in Franklin Lakes or any other really nice towns in Bergen County. In fact, $2,400 doesn't go all that far. You had better keep your expectations very low for this budget. $1,200 will get you a 1BR or tiny 2BR apartment that is going to be pretty dingy overall. Probably something in an old 2-4 family house. Bring your paintbrushes and rollers.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:09 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
1200 can get you a 1 br apt in many towns. Nothing fancy but probably enough

Old 05-30-2011, 11:49 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Look at Hawthorne and Clifton.

Both would be a reasonable commute, not too far from some nightlife.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:42 AM
RKA

1 posts, read 6,969 times
Welcome to North Jersey! I'm the editor of Franklin Lakes Patch, a daily news website in the area, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have of the community.

Ridgewood would be the closest area with a nightlife. There is only one apartment listed in your range [url=http://www.njmls.com/listings/index.cfm?action=dsp.info&mlsnum=1119149&dayssince =&countysearch=false]MLS Number 1119149 - 1 bed,1 bath, Rentals-Residential Property for $1,195 - 76 E RIDGEWOOD AVE, Unit 4, RIDGEWOOD, NJ - New Jersey Multiple Listing Service[/url]
(I'm not a realtor, I just like finding apartments.)

You can get to NYC fairly easily from anywhere in Bergen County. Communities with a train station will bring you right to Hoboken, where you will definitely find nightlife. Here's a link to the rail map:

[url]http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf[/url]

I wouldn't go below Hawthorne or Broadway on the rail line for commuting to FLakes. Traffic around here can get annoying, so what looks like a 30 min commute can actually be a lot longer.

I live in Midland Park, but work in Franklin Lakes. If you want to talk more, contact me through FranklinLakes.Patch.com. I happy to help with any questions you have. I've lived in this area all of my 35 years.

Best of luck! Rebecca

Old 10-06-2011, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,519 times
Hello. I hope this post is still active. I am relocating because I will be working in Franklin Lakes. I need a 2 bedroom apartment. I was hoping if anyone could advise. I want it under $1300. I dont mind commuting 20-25 min.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:19 AM

390 posts, read 1,367,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumairk View Post
Hello. I hope this post is still active. I am relocating because I will be working in Franklin Lakes. I need a 2 bedroom apartment. I was hoping if anyone could advise. I want it under $1300. I dont mind commuting 20-25 min.
Gonna be hard. Hackensack, maybe, will have two bedrooms under $1,300, but I doubt even thank. Hackensack, along with anywhere else in Bergen County, is fine, there are no dangerous areas in Bergen. I don't think finding a two bedroom anywhere in Northern NJ at that price will be easy.

Otherwise, you might try looking west of Franklin Lakes, to Wanaque, and west that area. It's not as developed as the rest of North Jersey, so you might be able to find something cheaper. I'm not as familiar with that area though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey