Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 18,018 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I are looking to move into the NJ suburbs within the next year or so. She works in Ridgewood, I'll be starting a new job with two locations in Newark and Livingston. Both of us have jobs that require us to get up pretty early, so minimizing the commute for us would be nice. Although we may rent to start off with, when we buy school districts are very important to us. Any suggestions? From the NJ Monthly school rankings, it seems like the northern suburbs have a lot of great schools, and some of the districts around Newark have good schools, but the ones between are not all as good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:00 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
You'll probably want someplace like Wayne that's between the two or Montville

Old 10-09-2011, 10:03 AM

390 posts, read 1,367,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acj412 View Post
Hi, my wife and I are looking to move into the NJ suburbs within the next year or so. She works in Ridgewood, I'll be starting a new job with two locations in Newark and Livingston. Both of us have jobs that require us to get up pretty early, so minimizing the commute for us would be nice. Although we may rent to start off with, when we buy school districts are very important to us. Any suggestions? From the NJ Monthly school rankings, it seems like the northern suburbs have a lot of great schools, and some of the districts around Newark have good schools, but the ones between are not all as good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
Much of this depends on your budget, but:

Group 1: Between Ridgewood and Newark, the winner for best school system would seem to be Glen Ridge, though it's very expensive, and finding rentals there can be hard (it's almost all single family homes.) Montclair, it's bohemian neighbor, does have more rentals (it's still expensive), and though it's school system isn't considered "Top 5" material like Glen Ridge, the public school system there is fantastic. Both of these would be closer to Newark than Ridgewood. Cedar Grove, Nutley, and Verona could also be good options that are less expensive, though parts of Verona could be very far west to reach Ridgewood (I'm trying to keep you along the Parkway or 21).

Group 2: Closer to Ridgewood is Glen Rock, Fair Lawn, and Saddle Brook (Glen Rock more "Upper Class", the other two more "Middle Class"), all great little towns with good school systems. Both are only a few minutes to Ridgewood, and you could easily head down to Newark via 21 or the Parkway, but your commute to downtown Newark going to be much longer than hers (30 mins).

Clifton is smack in the middle (and is what seperates Group 1 from Group 2). It's a large town with many different sections, but I don't know much about their school system. Little Falls and Rutherford would also both fall in the middle and could be great choices. Again, most of this would depend on your budget.

Please keep in mind that New Jersey has some of the best public schools in the country, and with the exception of a few rough neighborhoods, the "bad" schools here would be considered "good" in most other places.

So if people here try to tell you to avoid fantastic school districts like Montclair and Fair Lawn because NJ Monthly doesn't rank them with ultra, ultra wealthy towns like Millburn, Glen Ridge, and Ridgewood, try and take it with a grain of salt. They're still amongst the best in the state, and your kids can do exceptionally well in most Northern NJ public schools.

Last edited by labcjo; 10-09-2011 at 10:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey