Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 11:20 AM

17 posts, read 44,408 times

Advertisements

My family and I were looking to move to Fair Haven but now my husband is having second thoughts only because he saw a house he liked more in Shrewsbury. I agree it's a bigger house on larger property, but I prefer the community feel of FH. When we were looking in the different towns I saw many more children out and about in FH vs Shrewsbury. I also don't know much about their elementary school (although I know they feed into RBR).

Any thoughts on the differences (pros/cons) between the two towns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 11:35 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,460,058 times
both are great towns- FH is considered more exclusive as it's near water and feeds into RFH, that's the main difference. FH is on it's way if it's not already to a junior Rumson.

Both are great family towns. The elementary schools are pretty much the same ranking/result wise - both excellent. Shrewsbury goes k-8 in the same building while FH splits it up into 2 schools.
Commute wise Shrewsbury is closer to the parkway and to bus/train commute while FH would be better for the ferry. Shrewsbury would also put you closer to shopping such as grocery stores, (the ACME in FH is marginal at best) big box, and the like. Shrewsbury puts you closer to Red Bank for restaurants and cultural amenities. FH would put you near the Rumson and Sea Bright dining scene.

RFH is a better HS than RBR on most rankings (RBR is actually on LS FH border as well to confuse things a bit). RBR has some diversity in that the kids from Red Bank attend, so there's African American and Hispanic students, whereas RFH might have a small handful. Some people like that aspect while some don't; not making a judgement- just presenting the facts. If you compare students socioeconomically the two schools don't score that differently. RFH has better spots and facilities, RBR has a great performing arts program and offers an IB program.

Both are great family oriented places to live with a lot going for them, it's not like choosing between Short Hills and Newark or anything like that- you'd be happy either way- you would definitely get more house/land for your $$$ in Shrewsbury though, FH you would be closer to water.

IF you're not 100% marries to FH you can also check out Little Silver as it's a bit of a compromise/blend between the two- but would also feed into RBR.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:02 PM

Thanks @metsfan53. We did look in LS, Rumson and parts of Middletown as well. Do the kids still walk/bike to school in Shrewsbury? Is it as family/kid-oriented as FH seems to be? I found a lot on FH but not as much on Shrewsbury when looking online and at the school's different sites. Such a tough decision. Oh- and when you say FH is more exclusive, should I read that as maybe 'snobby'?

Old 03-30-2016, 12:23 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,460,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherjerseygirl View Post
Thanks @metsfan53. We did look in LS, Rumson and parts of Middletown as well. Do the kids still walk/bike to school in Shrewsbury? Is it as family/kid-oriented as FH seems to be? I found a lot on FH but not as much on Shrewsbury when looking online and at the school's different sites. Such a tough decision. Oh- and when you say FH is more exclusive, should I read that as maybe 'snobby'?

kids definitely walk to school in Shrewsbury- obviously only if they live close enough. Shrewsbury has a ton of family activities as well, all the towns around here do- rec leagues, town celebrations, parks, etc...

There's a bit of snobbishness in all of the two rivers towns if you look for it, but it's not as prevalent as with Westfield for instance, at least in my experiences. FH tends to have a higher cieling wealth wise so that may come into play, esp since the town shares a HS with Rumson, where kids may be getting BMWs on their birthday, not all do, maybe just a small % but it does exist, doesn't make them bad or snobby, but just something to be aware of.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:52 PM

351 posts, read 482,612 times
I don't think you can go wrong with either, I considered both and let the house decide.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:47 PM

Which did you choose @j0nx?

Old 04-29-2016, 11:07 AM

I chose Shrewsbury, although some amazing houses are coming on the market now. There is one in Atlantic Highlands that I wish I saw =(

Old 04-29-2016, 12:12 PM

88,596 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Good luck. Shrewsbury is a nice town. I live next to it in its poor cousin lol, so I have to go through the borough all the time. I love the older homes and big trees.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:13 PM

88,596 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
I chose Shrewsbury, although some amazing houses are coming on the market now. There is one in Atlantic Highlands that I wish I saw =(
When the big storms come, you'll be glad you're inland.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When the big storms come, you'll be glad you're inland.
Yeah i'm moving from a flood zone so I definitely wanted to avoid getting flood insurance again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey