Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 04:41 AM

22 posts, read 80,843 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Hillsborough/Belle Mead area in December. We would like to know if there are any Meet Up groups / Mom groups of Brazilian or Portuguese speaking folks : ) Two of our children were born in Brazil and the two oldest speak fluent Port. I would hate for them to lose it while living in the US. I would also be interested in possible private tutoring lessons for them in Port. We have a 13 year old girl, 5 year old girl and a 1 year old boy.

We have lived in Brazil for six years and as our two youngest are Brazilian we would love them to learn/keep the language. We are going to miss Brazil so much it has been a wonderful experience.

Thanks!//pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...lies/smile.gif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 08:37 AM

89 posts, read 444,835 times
Ironbound section of Newark is your most practical location. I believe there is a Luis Camoes school nearby Our Lady of Fatima church.... Outside NJ, you have either Mineola or Falls River...

Old 11-22-2011, 12:36 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpesq View Post
Ironbound section of Newark is your most practical location. I believe there is a Luis Camoes school nearby Our Lady of Fatima church.... Outside NJ, you have either Mineola or Falls River...

In the above recommendation, mdpesg should have added that Mineola is located on Long Island, in NY state.
The other community mentioned is Fall River (not "Falls River"), and it is located in Massachusetts.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:02 PM

89 posts, read 444,835 times
Yes, that's what "outside NJ" means... As in, those places are in other states...

Old 11-22-2011, 01:26 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpesq View Post
Yes, that's what "outside NJ" means... As in, those places are in other states...

Don't you think that, in view of the fact that the OP lives on another continent, it would be helpful to identify the actual location of those places more specifically than "outside NJ"?

Old 11-22-2011, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the clarification Retriever : ) We are a little out of touch with the area. Thanks mdpesq for the info about the Luis Camoes school and the Our Lady of Fatima church because I looked into those places and it looks like there is a portuguese language girl scouts and other activities affiliated with these places. You guys have been SO helpful, thanks again!

Old 11-22-2011, 03:50 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,013,121 times
There is a good size brasilian population in the Long Branch Area, and also a large portuguese population in the South River and Perth Amboy areas as well. I know Our Lady of Fatima in Perth Amboy mass is recited in portuguese and Corpus Christi in South River has a portuguese mass at 1pm. More so portuguese their than brasilian. Great people at both places. Dont let the not so stellar reps of these towns persuade you from visiting. Both have great communities.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:42 AM

Thanks Tony! I will definitely look into these communities. Our kids speak English and Portuguese but they really want to keep up speaking Portuguese. I know that Brazilian Portuguese has its own character but they could easily converse in a group of Portuguese -portuguese speakers as well : ) We will definitely check out the Our Lady of Fatima as soon as we arrive! Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey