Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 05:56 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,983 times

Advertisements

Just because you are from NJ does not mean you are into spray-tan, long fake nails/boobs, fist pumping, and big muscles ... lol!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 08:21 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
in what way?
According to Mike have more of laid back play outside/beach culture (they live on the bay). To be fair though he also said he knew all of his neighbors in his old neighborhood and none of them here.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:58 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Snooki....nuff said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Sadly, Snookie gives NJ a bad name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
When people dont realize MTV was looking for people so sleazy and loathesome they could not find awful enough ppeople in state and imported them from NY. Yet they think they are from NJ.
Only one cast member is from NJ, snooki is from Poughkeepsie NY, one is from Providence RI, one from Long Island.

Jersey Shore is nothing more than a "Real World" ripoff with more messed up people, more "puck like."

Old 12-26-2011, 09:35 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Only one cast member is from NJ, snooki is from Poughkeepsie NY, one is from Providence RI, one from Long Island.

Jersey Shore is nothing more than a "Real World" ripoff with more messed up people, more "puck like."
Three are from NJ.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:50 PM

85 posts, read 215,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
When people dont realize MTV was looking for people so sleazy and loathesome they could not find awful enough ppeople in state and imported them from NY. Yet they think they are from NJ.
One of them, Samantha Giancola, is from NJ.

I went to High School with one of her sisters, Rachel (who is now at one of the state schools, forget which, but she gets NJ STARS).

Rachel was decent.

Sam was not.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:17 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
Just because you are from NJ does not mean you are into spray-tan, long fake nails/boobs, fist pumping, and big muscles ... lol!!
This (ridiculous) stereotype is a function of NY, not NJ.

The reality is that in 90% of NJ towns (north, central, and southern) you simply cannot find ANYBODY that fits into this stereotype. It's a NY thing, primarily Staten Island and Brooklyn (but really any of the outer boroughs).

It's simple - the Jersey Shore region is probably the biggest thing that the state of NJ is known for (especially because of the gaudy MTV show). Most people from the entire east coast have been to the Jersey Shore at some point in their lives.

Unfortunately, because of the NJ coast's general awesomeness, it attracts ALL walks of life from the NY metropolitan/tri-state area, and this includes a LOT of NYC and Philadelphia trash. A LOT.

When they are acting like trash on NJ soil, guess who gets the credit for these weirdos? New Jersey!

This is why (nationwide and even globally) NJ residents are believed to behave this way (gold chains, shiny gel hair, horrible orange tans). When buffoons are observed (and/or filmed) IN NJ, it is assumed that these people are FROM NJ, and that THIS whole scene represents NJ. And because NYC is our backyard, we are under a microscope.

It's really not fair that whenever we, the real residents of NJ, are traveling outside of the area, we have to explain to inquisitive people why we do not speak like a Sopranos cast member. But I guess life is not fair, and obviously there are people in the world with much worse things to worry about.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:21 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
According to Mike have more of laid back play outside/beach culture (they live on the bay). To be fair though he also said he knew all of his neighbors in his old neighborhood and none of them here.
as opposed to "uptight, stay inside all the time" culture?

Old 12-27-2011, 01:58 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM402 View Post
One of them, Samantha Giancola, is from NJ.

I went to High School with one of her sisters, Rachel (who is now at one of the state schools, forget which, but she gets NJ STARS).

Rachel was decent.

Sam was not.
Deena Cortese is from New Egypt and went to New Egypt High School. Mike Sorrentino was born in Staten Island but grew up in Manalapan and went to Manalapan High School.

It is stupid to claim that New Jersey is this magical place that does not have the type of people (first of all nobody should be calling anyone else trash) that some like to blame for our reputation. Sure, there are a ton of people from NY and PA down the shore. But guess what: there are a ton of NJ people too. I have no doubt in my mind that the NY media often puts NJ in a bad light. But that doesn't mean that certain New Jerseyians aren't also responsible. To deflect blame to other states and create artificial cultural distinctions where there are none is irresponsible and pointless. NJ has its good and bad, just like any other state.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 AM

6 posts, read 12,778 times
I also see red when I tell people I grew up in New Jersey and they say "Joisey"! At one point, I offered $100.00 to anyone who could produce a NATIVE of New Jersey who said "Joisey." No one ever collected the money. When I was growing up in Upper Saddle River in the late 50s and early 60s, we had miles of apple orchards, a dairy farm, and vegetable farms in town. We had heavily wooded one-acre lots, no street lights, sidewalks, city water, or sewers. We had a volunteer fire department and an annual Lion's Club carnival everyone went to. And ONE general store called Elmer's. It was small-town Americana at its best. And yet, when I told people in the overcrowded, traffic-congested suburbs of Dallas that I was from New Jersey they would say: "Oh, so you're from the CITY!" I've never lived anyplace in New Jersey as urban as Dallas suburbs like Plano, Garland, or Irving.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:35 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyWarren View Post
I also see red when I tell people I grew up in New Jersey and they say "Joisey"! At one point, I offered $100.00 to anyone who could produce a NATIVE of New Jersey who said "Joisey." No one ever collected the money. When I was growing up in Upper Saddle River in the late 50s and early 60s, we had miles of apple orchards, a dairy farm, and vegetable farms in town. We had heavily wooded one-acre lots, no street lights, sidewalks, city water, or sewers. We had a volunteer fire department and an annual Lion's Club carnival everyone went to. And ONE general store called Elmer's. It was small-town Americana at its best. And yet, when I told people in the overcrowded, traffic-congested suburbs of Dallas that I was from New Jersey they would say: "Oh, so you're from the CITY!" I've never lived anyplace in New Jersey as urban as Dallas suburbs like Plano, Garland, or Irving.
I'm pretty sure Elmer's is still there. At least it was a couple of years ago.

When I grew up in the 60's in Bergen County (Midland Park) we kept pet chickens in the backyard. The people behind us had a horse and a pony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey