Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 08:35 AM

860 posts, read 1,337,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
My question is what can I do to get them back? What devious thing can I do where I dont care if they know it was me or not. I just want to get them back for calling the fking police. I mean here for three weeks and calling the cops? Jeez what a way to move in

PLEASE give me examples of what I can do to get back at there complete *******s. I will really Appreciate it.
Completely alienate them from the neighborhood, assuming you can get the rest of the neighborhood to do the same. They want people to help them move things and lend them things, etc. Just don't give them anything they want. Anything directly against them will just bring the police down on you.

Be polite by greeting them if you see them, but don't ever give them anything or help them with anything. If everyone gives them the cold shoulder either they'll change their ways or they'll get the message and stop coming around bothering anyone.

As to everyone bashing the OP about the dog... I think the OP made it clear they're trying to retrain the dog not to run where it was once free to go. It does take time to retrain, especially if the dog has a long positive association with that particular yard. The OP explained this to the new neighbors and if they were normal at all they'd accept that and even get to know the dog so they would know it's temperament, what commands it obeys, etc. They're just being control freaks.

Also, slightly off topic, OP, you mentioned your dog drinks from the river. Be careful. My boss's dog was doing the same and caught Leptospiridia, a bacteria found sometimes in rivers, springs, ponds, etc. Apparently it's usually rare but his vet told him this year there have been several cases. Anyway, best of luck with the new neighbors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 09:08 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Default if they were normal at all they'd accept that and even get to know the dog

It appears that they don't want to accept the dog. Why should they if they don't want to. I see people walking their dogs on the boardwalk even though their are HUGE signs that say "NO DOGS ALLOWED ON BOARDWALK". Why do some people that own pets think everyone likes their dog. I see people on school property,I see people on planes with dogs. I don't want to sit next to a person on a plane that has fi fi in a basket by them.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:16 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Quote:
they're trying to retrain the dog
Great. Do it on a leash or put up a fence. A dog running into my yard would be toast against a 115 pound Akita.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
It appears that they don't want to accept the dog. Why should they if they don't want to. I see people walking their dogs on the boardwalk even though their are HUGE signs that say "NO DOGS ALLOWED ON BOARDWALK". Why do some people that own pets think everyone likes their dog. I see people on school property,I see people on planes with dogs. I don't want to sit next to a person on a plane that has fi fi in a basket by them.
I'm not saying they have to accept this dog on their property, but they need to accept that it will take time for the OP to change the dogs behavior, which the OP has said they're trying to do.

Even though I own dogs doesn't mean I think everyone likes them or that they should be allowed everywhere. Personally, I always leash my dogs and never take them where dogs are not allowed. I make no attempt to even approach other people when walking my dogs unless they seem to want to pet my dogs.

I just don't think everyone, including the neighbors, should be bashing the OP so much since they are making an effort to retrain the dog. It'd be totally different if the OP's attitude was "My dog can do whatever it wants, ********* guys.", but it's not.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Great. Do it on a leash or put up a fence. A dog running into my yard would be toast against a 115 pound Akita.

Interesting post. It implies you don't have a fenced in yard (unless it's invisible fencing) since a dog could potentially run into your yard. So either you always leash your Akita or you've trained it to stay within your property boundaries while unleashed. If the latter, I'd think you'd have some understanding of the OP's situation, especially if you've trained this into an Akita, a notoriously difficult to train breed. If the former, you have a potentially violent breed running around your yard with no protection to the general public if your dog decides to bolt and attack other animals. Unpredictability is also a part of the Akita breed.

I just don't see how you can judge. Why is it everyone expect overnight changes in an animal?

Old 12-25-2011, 09:39 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
And what happens after a month? Or two months? It sounds like it must be close to a month already. How about the dog owner put the thing on a leash until it is trained?

Old 12-25-2011, 10:13 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And what happens after a month? Or two months? It sounds like it must be close to a month already. How about the dog owner put the thing on a leash until it is trained?

Exactly
While the OP believes that his new neighbors are unreasonable, there is nothing unreasonable about expecting people to keep their dog on a leash.
Retraining the dog and keeping it on a leash are not mutually exclusive.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:25 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
dogs dont belong in public off a leash, neither do cats as far as im concerned. my mom was walking my dog once and had an unpleasant situation with a rottweiler. im sure the rottweiler is normally pleasant enough, but my dog wasnt. however, my dog was on the leash and the rottweiler came over and they started fighting with my mom screaming. a dog off owner's property is a dead dog as far as im concerned, and the owner should be punished. i know accidents happen, ive had my dog slip out a couple of times but steps were always taken to avoid future accidents and if someone killed my dog, it would have been my fault.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:26 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
I just don't see how you can judge. Why is it everyone expect overnight changes in an animal?
Why is it unreasonable to ask someone to stay off your property?

Old 12-25-2011, 10:28 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
What if the new neighbors had small children that were afraid of dogs? Would you just tell your new neighbor you are going to have to keep your kids in the house for a month or so until I train my dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey