Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 11:22 AM

14 posts, read 22,646 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody! I am currently working in Somerset NJ and my parents have recently moved to Milford PA. I have been wanting a change of scenery for awhile. I am currently living in Rahway but am looking to move a little closer to my parents and away from the hustle and bustle of city life.

Between Morris, Warren and Sussex counties which one is:
1) The most affordable, rent-wise?
2) The "greenest"- woods, hiking trails, parks etc?
3) The friendliest? (Or is the bad Jersey attitude just anywhere you go here!)

Thanks for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 01:03 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,034 times
I would assume Warren would be most affordable, followed by Sussex and the Morris. Even the rural areas of Morris are not cheap. As for greenest...Western Morris is pretty green, especially the upper reaches of Rockaway and Jefferson, as well Washington Township, Chester, Mendham, and Randolph. Sussex is overall more rustic, more forest areas. Warren is more rural-agricultural, but plenty of green areas too. As for friendly, it depends on individual communities I would think. The Morris towns named above can be pretty wealthy, while parts of Warren felt very old school, which can be good or bad depending on one's perspective.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:25 PM

324 posts, read 574,973 times
With the exception of southern Morris County, the commute from any of those places to Somerset is going to be brutal.

I'm assuming you go to work more often than you see your parents, so why not live closer to work? I understand that you want to be in a more rural area than Rahway, but there's plenty of middle ground in Somerset County.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:16 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,498 times
I commuted from warren county to somerset county for years and it sucked. It is definitely scenic though.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,034 times
I would imagine certain areas of Warren wouldn't be too bad, such as Phillipsburg or Washington Borough. Straight shot down 78 and 287.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:48 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,158 times
Hillsborough or Branchburg are close to work and plenty rural enough for someone used to Rahway

Old 02-10-2014, 08:11 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,932,541 times
Warren County is awesome! I love living here. I lived the first 27 years of my life in the rat race of Essex County. I've been in Warren County for 18 years now and I love it. The commute is not the best but it depends when you are traveling. I make it from Oxford to Morris Twp. in 50 minutes. 31 south to 78 east to 287 north. I am on the road at 6:15 am. Hope this helps.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:39 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
I would imagine certain areas of Warren wouldn't be too bad, such as Phillipsburg or Washington Borough. Straight shot down 78 and 287.
From Phillipsburg maybe, but from Washington you have to sit on route 31 for half an hour (at least). 78 near Pburg is usually pretty backed up as well.

Route 31 became my personal he**...it's one lane each direction, and you just roll the entire way.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Hillsborough or Branchburg are close to work and plenty rural enough for someone used to Rahway
Thank you for the recommendation, I am not familiar with either of those towns so I will look into that!

Old 02-11-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post
With the exception of southern Morris County, the commute from any of those places to Somerset is going to be brutal.

I'm assuming you go to work more often than you see your parents, so why not live closer to work? I understand that you want to be in a more rural area than Rahway, but there's plenty of middle ground in Somerset County.

Well, I've been at my job for 3 years and it's good but I have been considering looking elsewhere in a few years. Eventually I would love to get out of Jersey completely. Plus my father is 76 and has beat cancer twice, so I don't want to be too far from them in case something happens (not to sound morbid!!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey