Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 01:25 PM

26 posts, read 52,984 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Does anyone know about Special Education programs for children in East Brunswick? We currently live/rent in Edison and plan to move to East Brunswick if they have good special education programs for autistic children, starting from pre-school.

Please help!!!

Regards,
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 07:09 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
Call the Superintendent's office and ask to speak to the person in charge of Pupil Personnel Services/Resources. They will have someone who will discuss and tell you what services you are eligible for and that the district provides, and how they work the programs around your child's needs. Better yet would be to make an appointment and spend the time interviewing/meeting with the person and be an educated parent before you make the move. There are 27 professionals in the department~check out the district web page.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
Call the Superintendent's office and ask to speak to the person in charge of Pupil Personnel Services/Resources. They will have someone who will discuss and tell you what services you are eligible for and that the district provides, and how they work the programs around your child's needs. Better yet would be to make an appointment and spend the time interviewing/meeting with the person and be an educated parent before you make the move. There are 27 professionals in the department~check out the district web page.
Thanks for the quick response. We will do that. But if any parent can share their prior experience, we will be grateful.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:15 PM

6 posts, read 11,344 times
Joemm... I'm not familiar with East Brunswick's school district's ability to "properly" educate a special needs child, especially one with autism... but I will say if you find they do not have the capability to handle your child's educational & safety needs, you should do your own research outside of the district and once you locate a facility that can meet your needs, you have every right to challenge your school district to match those services. If they cannot, and if your child is accepted into the program/school/district that can, your homebased district can be held legally bound to provide the financial backing and transportation for your child to be "properly" educated elsewhere. I'm not a teacher. I'm a mom of 2 sons with autism and I became an educated parent (about the process) to be the #1 advocate for my children. Good luck to you.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:22 AM

Thanks for the valuable advice, MiaMaxx. We do not know about that.

Sincerely,
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMaxx View Post
Joemm... I'm not familiar with East Brunswick's school district's ability to "properly" educate a special needs child, especially one with autism... but I will say if you find they do not have the capability to handle your child's educational & safety needs, you should do your own research outside of the district and once you locate a facility that can meet your needs, you have every right to challenge your school district to match those services. If they cannot, and if your child is accepted into the program/school/district that can, your homebased district can be held legally bound to provide the financial backing and transportation for your child to be "properly" educated elsewhere. I'm not a teacher. I'm a mom of 2 sons with autism and I became an educated parent (about the process) to be the #1 advocate for my children. Good luck to you.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:38 PM

11 posts, read 13,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMaxx View Post
Hi Mia MAxx,

I am so worried about my son who is 5th grader now and evaluated by the team and team now says that he would benefit more from out of district options.Meanwhile i wish to relocate to West windsor plainsboro public school.whats are your thoughts about West windsor Plainsboro school district,they have a blew ribbon and say they have an autistic programs.
In general should i take up the out of district program or should i feel good if WW provides me a in district program supporting his needs?which is good.

Some ppl say out of district is hard to get and worth to avail it...SOme ppl say..once gone outside it is hard to put in traditional school settings..what are your thoughts..I am worried.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:36 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
MiaMaxx has not posted here in over 5 years.
You might start your search here-

Special Services - West Windsor-Plainsboro Regional School ...

It is, at least, a place to get some of your questions answered.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:23 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcss View Post
Hi Mia MAxx,

I am so worried about my son who is 5th grader now and evaluated by the team and team now says that he would benefit more from out of district options.Meanwhile i wish to relocate to West windsor plainsboro public school.whats are your thoughts about West windsor Plainsboro school district,they have a blew ribbon and say they have an autistic programs.
In general should i take up the out of district program or should i feel good if WW provides me a in district program supporting his needs?which is good.

Some ppl say out of district is hard to get and worth to avail it...SOme ppl say..once gone outside it is hard to put in traditional school settings..what are your thoughts..I am worried.
Why is the child study team recommending out of district placement and what is your district?

Out of District placement is very expensive, so the district usually tries everything to keep the child in district. It is usually the parents who think their children need more support than the team observes--and this is perfectly normal, parents should advocate for their children.

Your case sounds the complete opposite, the district is advocating more services for your child than you want to accept? What services does your child currently receive, go speak to his current service providers to understand their recommendation.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:29 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcss View Post
Hi Mia MAxx,

I don't know the details of your son's case obviously

But please think about the type of classroom that is best for your son. Now. Not in the future. Today. Listen to what the professionals at school are telling you, even if it is hard to hear.

He has to live his life every day and he deserves to have a classroom setting where he feels comfortable and is getting the support he needs.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:38 PM

11 posts, read 13,904 times
The story is , We recently moved from India to Westwood School district (Bergen County) NJ.He was taken in to 5th grade and i wrote a consent conveying the child is special need.they evaluated and came up with results of having Language,Reading,Writing,Math, Psychological to be very low values.The child is high functioning autistic..He knows his native language and finding hard to learn now a new english language. They said the child will go to 6th grade but to a different out of district school(which the case manager will take us).they developed 10 Goals on 5 areas (Living skills, reading,writing, mathematics, Language).They said she needs 1 on 1 ABA trained aide the entire year.July will be the placement.

Now there is a change in my hunsband's work location to Plainsboro,NJ area..the school district associated is west windsor-NJ I have the IEP with listed (simple)goals and services for the next academic year.

Can someone suggest me and help me what to do?
Btw, Plainsboro apartment rents are lesser than westwood,NJ. I pay 2300 for 2 bed,1.5bath in westwood,nj.
I get 2 bed,2 bath for 1600 at plainsboro,NJ.

My only concern is what if West windsor say the services can be provided within district and they can handle it...will the write another IEP? The IEP what i have is legal right...will it become void?

In general how is west windsor school district for special child who has language problem and want to socialize but does not know the "know hows"

All you suggestions will help me understand more...Please write back...it is worth.

Btw,WW-P special services are not willing to answer without enrollment.

It could be any school district they have to support the available IEP right?Is my understanding wrong..If the child is sent to out of district school.is that hard to put in the regular school?
Also the case manager said the out of district will still be a public school !!!!!!!My thought is The other school is still a publis school like WW-P ? is my thoughts right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey