Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 01:20 PM

159 posts, read 259,401 times

Advertisements

I lived in North Jersey 24 years, and in South Jersey: Bridgeton for 10 years. It was in the 70s. Farms were all over, but there was poverty in bridgeton area, and it was a contrast to life in Caldwell.
My girlfriend was German and raised in a concentration camp in Seabrook at the time of the war. the camp advanced her father from shared accomodations to his own place! She said that being an immigrant he did well.
I would not trade my experience. I lived like a hick in So Jersey, and had easy access to Ocean City, and It made me more of a traveler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,577,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Also, I find Ocean County to be much more NY influence, while Burlington County tends to be much more Philly (although granted, Southern Ocean County is very influenced by Philly)
I think part of the reason for this is because most of Ocean County's population moved there from North Jersey. I grew up in Northern Ocean County and almost all of my friends ( or their parents) were born in North Jersey...( I was a rarity... my family lived in Ocean County back to colonial days.)

But for sure definate NYC influence is stronger now.( Giants fans vs Eagles) I think that as people live in Ocean County longer the Philadelphia influence will grow. Philadelphia TV gives better coverage to Ocean County, the stronger Philadelphia radio stations can be picked up The Phillies have a farm team in Lakewood and we have WaWa.

If it werent for the Pinelands, 50 years from now it would be solid suburbs throughout all of New Jersey from NYC to the Shore to Philadelphia

Old 05-10-2012, 10:36 AM

23,597 posts, read 17,279,425 times
Divide and conquer!

It's all the rage.

The more provincial you get, the more disregard shown for the state and fellow residents.

Sounds like a lot of villagers would not want to travel outside their home region? So much for expanding commuter rail, it's dead on arrival.

Good!

Old 05-11-2012, 12:17 PM

5 posts, read 9,506 times
I've lived in Northeast NJ all my life. I moved to America from Seoul, South Korea when I was 7 to Palisades Park, NJ (of course so stereotypical hahaha get your jokes in now). I moved to Little Ferry, then to Ridgewood, and now I live in Englewood. I gotta say I like this location. I've been to central Jersey (never South so I reserve my opinions on that) and there are parts of central that I like. It really depends on what kind of person you are. In general, New Jersey doesn't really have much going on regardless. Northern NJ is trying to slowly adapt into a more city/urbanized location like NYC is. If you don't like that type of scene, then you might like the quieter scene. Although living in Ridgewood was nice and peaceful. The only thing I didn't like was that people in Ridgewood were extremely arrogant (they had entitlement complex like their dung was made of diamonds) and a lot of people there are fake. But Ridgewood is the ideal place you would want to raise your family for the sole fact that it practically has no crime (except stupid high school kids up to no good), it's peaceful, nice living environment, great schools, and great downtown area for your kids to hang out instead of going all the way to the city or Lord knows where.

I definitely like North the best because of the diversity. I don't have a problem with white people or Korean people, but I'd much rather mix myself up in a diverse population and get to meet new types of people. The more south you go, the less diverse it gets. I met Colombians, Dominicans, Lebanese, Chinese, Japanese, Cubans, Russian, Philipino, etc all in Bergen County. Also, we are the underpits of NYC.
---
I'd still very much live in South Korea. EVERYTHING is cheaper. You can literally take twenty USD with you and survive a week or more eating 2 meals a day. Internet is fast EVERYWHERE, not like America where you pay $30 for internet and it's slow whereas if you pay $200 internet is finally fast. You can get to any part of the country within few hours. THe BEST though, not just the city part, is the mountains we call Shi Gol. That's the best place to live in my opinion. Maybe that's why I don't favor NJ as much. If I had the chance as a young adult, I would try to live in Hoboken or the city if I can afford it. If I am starting a family, I would most likely consider Ridgewood.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:23 PM

332 posts, read 529,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
North Jersey
One reason it's the best - nice downtowns, easy rail access.
One reason it sucks - Urban Decay galore. . . and it's spread out. Hudson, Essex, Bergn, Passaic & Union all have apt examples. Sure Camden's bad, but you can add enough of them up and trump Camden.

Central Jersey
This is a mythical beast that culturally leans toward North Jersey (and NYC) anyway. But if I must:
One reason it's the best - Most Jersey pride. Because they're far enough from both cities, they produce most pride. Contains most NJ Devils fans and produces our best music: Asbury Park.
One reason it sucks - It doesn't exist. Monmouth County and Mercer County have nothing in common.

South Jersey
One reason it's the best - No guidos (You can't count Ocean County, no people from the Philly suburbs go to those beaches).
One reason it sucks - Lack of culture. The people of Collingswood & Haddonfield think they have some, but when traveling a little, realize how small of a bubble it is.
Come to Union County and check out Berkeley Heights, New Providence, Mountainside, Summit, Scotch Plains, Westfield, Cranford, and Springfield.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:50 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,557,292 times
north jersey = manhattan

south jersey = philly

jersey shore = jersey shore

otherwise, the same old town usa

Old 05-11-2012, 09:53 PM

or this

Old 05-11-2012, 10:48 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,640,753 times
North, just because you can live in a nice, laid back suburb and still go to NYC easy when you need to, the best of both worlds type shi*.
You should add a poll to this thread.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:08 PM

people-wise, there's no difference

the d0uche.bags in cherry hill are no different from the d0uchbags in paramus

Old 05-12-2012, 05:53 AM

332 posts, read 529,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
North, just because you can live in a nice, laid back suburb and still go to NYC easy when you need to, the best of both worlds type shi*.
You should add a poll to this thread.
I think a poll would've been the easiest way to settle it. You should do that OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey