Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:58 AM

6 posts, read 15,731 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks, my wife and I are in the process of trying to close on a house in Morristown but we're still not sure about a couple of things. We love the town (the shopping, nightlife, restaurants, etc). Even though we don't have any kids yet, we hear good things about the schools, the wide array of sports programs, and all the other activities and attractions Mo-town has to offer. However, we're a little nervous about the safety and not sure if the area we're buying in is safe to raise a family.

The house is located on Thompson St right off speedwell ave and we're literally right next to Speedwell Park. And speaking of Speedwell park, is that a safe park to walk in?

Looks forward to hearing your thoughts, opinions, and/or advise especially from those living in Morristown!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 04:35 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo11 View Post
Hi Folks, my wife and I are in the process of trying to close on a house in Morristown but we're still not sure about a couple of things. We love the town (the shopping, nightlife, restaurants, etc). Even though we don't have any kids yet, we hear good things about the schools, the wide array of sports programs, and all the other activities and attractions Mo-town has to offer. However, we're a little nervous about the safety and not sure if the area we're buying in is safe to raise a family.

The house is located on Thompson St right off speedwell ave and we're literally right next to Speedwell Park. And speaking of Speedwell park, is that a safe park to walk in?

Looks forward to hearing your thoughts, opinions, and/or advise especially from those living in Morristown!

Thanks!

Thompson St. is not in the best, more desirable part of Morristown, but that being said, it is not a BAD area, ala Irvington/Newark. You are also bordering "the Hollow" which is a the least desirable part of the town. The good news is that there are plans for some major re development on Speedwell Ave, which has pretty much gone down hill - hopefully the redevelopment will bring the property values up and improve the neighborhood, similar to the re development in other parts of town.

KoalaNJ

Old 02-12-2012, 05:03 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
What makes you nervous about the safety? Listen to your gut, you already know the answer.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:11 PM

Thanks Koala for your insight.

How safe is Speedwell Park? Ever hear of anything BAD occurring there?

We really like the house we found but just can't quite figure out the neighborhood. You have a nice looking family in one house and then you have house that looks really shady with a few questionable people walking around...

I grew up in newark so I know what BAD really means and Morristown is a world of difference..heaven compared to Newark but looks can be deceiving.... I mean, do I have to worry about my car getting broken into or somebody mugging my wife when she walks the dog???

Sorry for all the questions...just a nervous First Time Home Buyer

Old 02-12-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
What makes you nervous about the safety? Listen to your gut, you already know the answer.

Growing up in newark, my gut tells me not to trust any neighborhood I'm in...lol But I'm hoping that particular area is fine and hoping with all the future development going on, the whole area will only get better and increase in value.

Now my wife is from Howell so for her, there's only one safe place on the planet: Howell.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks Koala for your insight.

How safe is Speedwell Park? Ever hear of anything BAD occurring there?

We really like the house we found but just can't quite figure out the neighborhood. You have a nice looking family in one house and then you have house that looks really shady with a few questionable people walking around...

I grew up in newark so I know what BAD really means and Morristown is a world of difference..heaven compared to Newark but looks can be deceiving.... I mean, do I have to worry about my car getting broken into or somebody mugging my wife when she walks the dog???

Sorry for all the questions...just a nervous First Time Home Buyer

There is some drug dealing going on there, and a bit of gang activity, esp in summer. The park is a hang out spot. I would not worry about walking the dog during daylight though. (be sure to bring a pooper scooper, as they do fine you there if you do not pick up after your dog.) I would absolutely make sure my car was locked and alarm set at all times though. (don't leave anything like a GPS in the car either while at home even if it is locked and in your driveway.) The reason why housing in that area is "reasonably priced" is because it is not the best area to live. (though as you say it is def. not Newark)

KoalaNJ

Old 02-12-2012, 08:49 PM

seems like it's par for the course... Even in more affluent/wealthy towns you still have to be a little cautious (lock your doors, be a little more careful at night, etc). But Morristown being a little more crowded and having some of that undesired "element", we just have to be a little more careful.

Anyway, my realtor reassured me that it's a good neighborhood and she sees values picking up in the near future especially with that Speedwell project approved. Hope she's not BSing me and i'm not making a very expensive mistake.

*sigh*

Old 02-13-2012, 01:43 AM

Quote:
seems like it's par for the course... Even in more affluent/wealthy towns you still have to be a little cautious (lock your doors, be a little more careful at night, etc). But Morristown being a little more crowded and having some of that undesired "element", we just have to be a little more careful.

Anyway, my realtor reassured me that it's a good neighborhood and she sees values picking up in the near future especially with that Speedwell project approved. Hope she's not BSing me and i'm not making a very expensive mistake.

*sigh*

To be totally honest, if your realtor is telling you it is a "good' neighborhood, she most certainly is lying to you. Perhaps she feels it is good if compared to Newark Trenton or Camden. As you have seen for yourself, there is some seediness to the area, and gang activity - the bloods and the latin kings mostly, and there have been turf wars over Speedwell Park. (that being said, it is not anywhere near the extent of Newark/Irvington) The area you are considering borders "the hollow" which is widely regarded as the worst area of Morristown, (the hollow is also where the housing projects are located) The area around Speedwell and Thompson St. is mostly hispanic, and "stacking" is an issue. (landlords buying a house then renting out rooms, sometimes dividing/partitioning larger rooms, and all the tenants sharing a bathroom and kitchen.) There have been some issues in warmer weather around these homes with stacking - people drinking out on the streets which predictably results in fights. (and a few stabbings) I do think that the area will improve after the speedwell project is completed. as a female, I have no fear walking alone around the green in the evening, but I'd think twice about doing so around that part of Speedwell. (then again, I do not have a dog with me either) Have you looked at similarly priced homes in other areas of Morristown, (over by the courthouse, or the other side of the green) or Morris Plains?

KoalaNJ

Old 02-13-2012, 05:22 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:

*sigh*
I think your realtor is stretching the truth quite a bit....

I would live in parts of Morristown but not raise kids in that neighborhood. I don't want to have to be cautious of drug users etc near my house. Trust me, when you have kids your tolerance for this nonsense will go way down.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:01 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Wasn't that wooded area where a young boy was sexually assualted and mudered a few years ago? I don't really know the neighborhood very well and I don't know if this was simply an isolated instance, but you asked if anything really bad had happened in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey