Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 12:25 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,416 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if you send someone a resume are they required to keep that confidential or can they let your current employer know that you are looking for another job? I realize people talk but just curious as to if there is any legal confidentiality associated with sending someone a resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 02:16 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
I was wondering if you send someone a resume are they required to keep that confidential or can they let your current employer know that you are looking for another job? I realize people talk but just curious as to if there is any legal confidentiality associated with sending someone a resume.

No its not like attorny-client or doctor-patient privlidge... you can always ask for discretion during the application process...most hiring manager i think would understand discretion but there is no legal oblication to not divulge information.

If you current employer knows you are looking they might offer a raise

Old 02-03-2012, 05:37 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
No. It would be common sense to think that a potential employer is going to check on the reference's you supplied.

Quote:
If you current employer knows you are looking they might offer a raise
Or show you the door.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:14 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
No. It would be common sense to think that a potential employer is going to check on the reference's you supplied.
I wouldn't have them as a reference but they would be on my employment history. I didn't know if there was any unwritten rule of confidentiality with them or not. Now I know.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:23 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I highly doubt anyone is going to do a reference check on you before even interviewing you. They usually don't get to that step until you both know you're going to accept a job with them, then it won't matter, but even then they will ask if they can contact your current employer. Most people look for jobs while they still have one, so don't worry about it too much.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:31 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
It used to be commonplace to add "resume submitted in confidence" at the bottom of a resume. This was asking for professional courtesy in not reaching out to verify information without checking with the applicant.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:01 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Quote:
It's legal for an employer to give a detailed reference, including negative information, as long as it's factually accurate. That said, some companies do have policies against giving references, but these policies are easily worked around; most reference-checkers don't have difficulties obtaining references, no matter what the official policies say.
10 Shattered Myths About Workplace Rights - Yahoo! News

Old 02-07-2012, 09:27 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I highly doubt anyone is going to do a reference check on you before even interviewing you. ...
I had a boss ask me about a reference check, it was only for a loan, but he thought I was looking for another job. If your boss asks, just tell him your trying to get a loan, unless the company your applying for are complete idiots, they are not going to tell your company that they are calling to verify employment cause you applied for a job with them. And if they do, you probably do not want to be working for them in the first place.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:09 AM

2 posts, read 19,523 times
No Resume should not contain confidential matter you just mention your personal information at the bottom of the resume for more you can vist topsampleresume.com site
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey