Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:33 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times

Advertisements

Im trying TO move to jersey and the only place i can find that are good deals are in Jersey City, i was born and grew up there and i dont think it would be that bad. My family is saying "no, its a dump, and a ghetto"
Where in JC would be the bad areas and where would be the good areas, i need 1st hand information.

Because im liking Jersey City.

And if not JC how about Bayonne?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 10:47 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
In my opinion, Downtown Jersey City is the only area I would live in (I live there now). This includes Hamilton Park, Paulus Hook, Van Vorst Park, Exchange Place, and I guess Newport, although Newport is kind of boring and sterile. All of these neighborhoods are extremely safe for a city, and there are a lot of things to do (bars, restaurants, museum, parks, etc). These areas also provide top notch and quick transportation into NYC by Path train. These areas are considered pretty "hip", so therefore rents are quite pricey. In my opinion, it's worth the rent, because all of these neighborhoods are great...nice people and beautiful historic brownstones.

The rest of Jersey City is kind of dumpy. Stick to Downtown.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:49 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Greenville, particularly Ocean Avenue, is about as rough as any neighborhood I've had to go to.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:05 AM

828 posts, read 3,138,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Im trying TO move to jersey and the only place i can find that are good deals are in Jersey City, i was born and grew up there and i dont think it would be that bad. My family is saying "no, its a dump, and a ghetto"
Where in JC would be the bad areas and where would be the good areas, i need 1st hand information.

Because im liking Jersey City.

And if not JC how about Bayonne?
Family knows best.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:11 AM

9 posts, read 28,983 times
Hey fischfan, what part of "firsthand" do you not understand?

Good areas - Newport, Paulus Hook, Grove Street (2 block radius of path station), JSQ (in parts only, you should look before you leap).

Truly, it depends on your demographics, how you fit in and how you stand out in some areas. Good luck...

Old 05-27-2008, 11:50 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
ankh, Fischfan thinks any urban area is a dangerous ghetto, because he lives in the suburbs. He has relatives that live in a dumpy street in JC, so he thinks he knows Downtown. Jersey City (downtown) has changed a lot. Some of us are making a nice pile of money on investments in Downtown. But Fischfan tells everyone who asks about JC to look elsewhere.

I've invited fischfan for a drink in my neighborhood, at night (!!!), to show him how "scary" it is. LOL. If white hipsters and artists scare Fischfan, he must be quite a wimp , LOL.

But by the way ankh, within 2 blocks of Grove Street Path? Most of the nicest areas in that neighborhood are MORE than 2 blocks away from the Path...in fact, all of my favorite blocks are more than 2 blocks away from Path. Van Vorst, Hamilton Park...all further than 2 blocks from Path. There's not even any housing really within 2 blocks, aside from those sterile luxury condos.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:27 PM

9 posts, read 28,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
But by the way ankh, within 2 blocks of Grove Street Path? Most of the nicest areas in that neighborhood are MORE than 2 blocks away from the Path...in fact, all of my favorite blocks are more than 2 blocks away from Path. Van Vorst, Hamilton Park...all further than 2 blocks from Path. There's not even any housing really within 2 blocks, aside from those sterile luxury condos.
I'll use the relative safety concept.. you can't go wrong in the 2 block radius. The areas near VVP or HP are nice, but to get there you might encounter a few oddballs on the way ... hence the relative rating.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:27 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post

I've invited fischfan for a drink in my neighborhood, at night (!!!), to show him how "scary" it is. LOL. If white hipsters and artists scare Fischfan, he must be quite a wimp , LOL.
The hipsters and the artists are more annoying that the criminals. At least the criminals add alittle excitement. I swear man ive never seen anything like it, Hipsters flock to a place and consume it like a plague . Whenever im in downtown I cant help but laugh at all these hipsters and there super tight jeans and ironic beards gimme a break. Quite possibly the most annoying breed of people that exist in cities. Hopefully soon they realize theres nothing really cool about downtown JC and go back to their collective suburbs.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:36 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,455 times
Quote:
ankh Hey fischfan, what part of "firsthand" do you not understand?
Ruh-roh, someones panties are in a bunch.
Stuck in JC, are we?

Quote:
yeah, I'm a wimp...but a damn smart one who left Hudson County with my life.
BTW, did you want to go to the bar that the guy was jumped from? You remember, the guy who was handicapped. I guess the wimps are the ones who are still in JC.

Jersey City, right?:
Teenager shot dead, witnesses sought - NJ.com

Jersey City...is this JC resident a wimp?
Molested girl, 17, cops say - NJ.com

2:30pm shooting:
Charged with attempting to murder man on street - NJ.com

I still laugh when you JC boys defend this City...and odds are BOTH of you were not even born in JC. The two of you get so upset when someone puts down your precious City.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:10 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
alrite thanks for all your guy's info! It let me know alot more then i did because i grew up in Greenville (what does that tell ya HAH), but downtown is pricey, we can barely do the rent, and frig if i can own, which i want to do. How is bayonne? i know little about that city. And Fischfan13, I love JC to and everybody has something good to say and bad to say about it, big deal... Your afraid of JC, which shows you have no room to even talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey