Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:51 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times

Advertisements

Family is right...There is a reason why JC is cheaper then surrounding areas. I lived there from 2005-2007. I can not recommend it. Even downtown JC is not worth it due to high cost. I lived in the 'Heights' and that was supposed to be a 'good area'. I can not imagine what the bad areas might be..

I recommend Bayonne from other things I read on here. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 04:02 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Oh puhlease, Todd and Fischfan. Todd, we are discussing Downtown JC, not the Heights, which is dangerous. And Downtown is MORE expensive than surrounding areas (in fact it's more expensive than all Hudson County towns except Hoboken, and it's only slightly less than Hoboken). Know your facts.

Fisch, oh man, you are making me sound like a broken record. WHAT ARE YOU COMPARING JC TO? Suburbs...you cannot do this! You lose all credibility as a rational person when you compare a city to suburbs! Where were you (you never replied) on the other thread, where I showed you the crime stats for Philly, Newark, and Boston. JC's crime rates were LOWER than those 3 cities, per 100,000 people. So, what are you comparing the crime in JC to? Point Pleasant? Mantoloking? Seriously, I'm curious...why can't you wrap your head around the concept that cities are not safe WHEN COMPARED to suburbs? Ugh!

Downtown JC's crime rates are equivalent to Hoboken's crime rates...and I saw in another thread that you were singing Hoboken's praises. Downtown JC is as safe as Hoboken...the stats do not lie. So, c'mon man...why the personal vendetta against JC? I'm befuddled by your unbridled disdain for such a great city.

And fisch, why are you listing crimes from other parts of the city when we are discussing Downtown? That's like me wagging my finger at Brooklynites for a few crmes that occurred on the LES. Silly, silly, fischfan.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 PM

34 posts, read 383,838 times
Hey Tommy since you said you did the statistics on crime rates for those citied can you tell me what was Bostons per 100,000. I lived there for three years and consider it very dangerous in the area of Dorchester but i just would like to see those stats. Thanks.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:24 PM

828 posts, read 3,137,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post

Downtown JC's crime rates are equivalent to Hoboken's crime rates...and I saw in another thread that you were singing Hoboken's praises. Downtown JC is as safe as Hoboken...the stats do not lie. So, c'mon man...why the personal vendetta against JC? I'm befuddled by your unbridled disdain for such a great city.

And fisch, why are you listing crimes from other parts of the city when we are discussing Downtown? That's like me wagging my finger at Brooklynites for a few crmes that occurred on the LES. Silly, silly, fischfan.
I am only telling the truth...JC is dangerous.
If someone asked you if you would move to Gary, Indiana or Camden, NJ would you tell them that it is ok to move there?
So then in the World Of Tommy someone has a vendetta against a place if they would not live there.
Jersey City is Jersey City.
Stop trying to split the atom.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:28 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,369 times
Tommyc defend Downtown JC all you want, but im curious to what makes it so "nice". The only good feature of downtown is its proximity to NYC. Do you honestly walk around grove street and surrounding areas and say "hey all these suburban nerdy hipsters are so cool and interesting, this is such a unique area" I mean cause thats all ts turned into. Downtown is just another area of the city that went the way of many sections of NYC. The ethnicity is well on its way out of Downtown and whats gonna replace it? so more overpriced condos. Give me the JC of old over that crap anyday.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:00 PM

Yea but fischfan, that's like me saying "Wyckoff, NJ" is soooo boring. What am I comparing it to? That's not a fair statement, taken as is. Jersey City, like all cities for that matter, has crime incidents. Just like London, Bejing, Paris, New York, Philly, Boston, Chicago, and friggin Akron, Ohio for that matter. Don't sh*t on JC, and discourage people to move here, because of that. It's a common characteristic of all cities. JC has a lower crime rate than most mid to large cities.

In the future, if you are going to scare people out of living in Jersey City, I'm asking you to put a DISCLAIMER - JERSEY CITY, LIKE ALL CITIES, HAS A HIGHER CRIME RATE THAN THE SUBURBS, OR RURAL AREAS. You are making Jersey City out to be a city with an extraordinary high crime rate. When in fact, it has a much LOWER crime rate than most mid to large cities.

Now, if somebody starts a thread asking about the different areas of Jersey City, wouldn't your common sense tell you that they are already prepared to be living in a city environment? Not too many people move from the hills of West Virginia to JC. People (usually) are aware of what city lfe entails, and they know that people get mugged and shot. So no need to go around pulling alarms and shouting "Stay away!!" Relax. People get mugged in cities. Deep breath, fischfan. People that move to cities are prepared for this. They aren't frightened, like you appear to be.

If somebody started a thread asking about moving to Boston, would you hijack every one of those threads saying "People get shot and mugged in Boston! Stay away!!" Seriously. Think about it...it's bizarre of you to do that.

I'm not trying to split the atom. Neighborhoods vary greatly from one to another...that's the nature of any mid to large city....big variance from block to block. Tell somebody from Park Slope that their neighborhood is dangerous because Bed-Stuy is only a few miles away. Ha!

Old 05-27-2008, 05:08 PM

cf77, no I don't think hipsters are necessarily cool and interesting. But if I met a few of them, I'm sure I would think some of them are interesting, and nice people. (For the record, I'm not what one would consider a hipster, lol). I'm not sure what your point is...you seem to be generalizing and stereotyping.

What makes it so nice, you ask? I don't know...it's a great place to live. It's a bustling environment with lots of things to do. Nice historic brownstones. People who care deeply about their neighborhood and their community. And a 10 minute commute to Manhattan, one of the most visited cities on this entire globe.

I understand that you miss the JC of old...but if you really miss that environment, there are other areas of JC that can provide that atmosphere. Bergen-Lafayette, Greenville, Journal Square, the Heights. You can go there for a ghetto mentality. Downtown JC has too many assets...gentrification was inevitable.

I don't know about you...but I'm much happier seeing hipsters walking down my block than gangsters. Hipsters are DEFINITELY less scary. Which would you prefer walking down your block?

Old 05-27-2008, 05:28 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,369 times
Tommyc, theres also many places in NYC that look nicer than Downtown that are in the same ballpark as far as price and proxiimity goes. I dont know I just dont see why its so great besides that its extremly close to NYC. Pretty soon theres gonna be more buildings and whatnot and its gonna be even more annoying that it is now.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:18 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,650 times
well seriously, im movin from Newark to JC or bayonne... so Newark is a bomb compared to ANY city in NJ... so im seeing JC as a walk in the park beeing i am in Newark rite now, i been to every so called ghetto, i lived in JC, Newark, Fort Myers (FL),.. and frankly.. people talking junk abnput how ghetto it is, PISSES me off, like fisch, WTH are you to say from bein from "the shore" gunna say anything about JC, your not worth expressin your opininon... Your TO AFRAID of JC, that your pissed people have the guts to move there... have you been? have you lived? I highly douby your valley ass has been or lived in JC, cuz u have no clue or point on wut u say!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:31 PM

828 posts, read 3,137,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
well seriously, im movin from Newark to JC or bayonne... so Newark is a bomb compared to ANY city in NJ... so im seeing JC as a walk in the park beeing i am in Newark rite now, i been to every so called ghetto, i lived in JC, Newark, Fort Myers (FL),.. and frankly.. people talking junk abnput how ghetto it is, PISSES me off, like fisch, WTH are you to say from bein from "the shore" gunna say anything about JC, your not worth expressin your opininon... Your TO AFRAID of JC, that your pissed people have the guts to move there... have you been? have you lived? I highly douby your valley ass has been or lived in JC, cuz u have no clue or point on wut u say!
Yo homey!
I grew up in Bayonne and wurked in JC for fiffteen year. I'm seein that you don't understandin wear I'm cummin from...ya hear?
My vallley ass grew up in a city and chilled in a city. So sorry that you be pissd off becuz of the boy on the shore. I mooved down here not needin guts to have to live in my crib...capice? I didnt know that the peeps on this forum be lookin to ghetto chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey