Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
treatment works well with many people, by giving them enough time to sober up and to get all of the necessary tools to change. its up to the client to keep that up when they return home. which they usually dont.
then treatment doesnt work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 10:43 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
damn, christie doesn't take anything lightly does he?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:52 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
damn, christie doesn't take anything lightly does he?
Oh, hardy hardy hardy hahaha. Seriously, do you have nothing to critique beyond the mans weight? The governor is; fat, obese, rotund, abdominous, plump, pudgy, tubby, porcine, portly, stout, tubbylumpkins, economy sized, sausage boy, lard butt, adipose, corpulent, fleshy, blubbery, hefty, hulking, etc. We get it. You really need to do the old Austin Powers schtick and get it out of your system, you know...moley, moley, moley...just do it with fat.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:34 AM

341 posts, read 679,040 times
The government should not be in the business of telling citizens what chemicals they can or cannot put into their bodies. Since alcohol is legal just make everything legal right across the board; heroin, cocaine, marijuana, etc. Tax it, regulate it and put it on the market. Why should alcoholics exclusively have the pleasure of their drug of choice being legal. Of course, not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic just as not everyone who uses other drugs is necessarily an addict.

It would be very interesting to see what would happen to all of these cartels who import the drugs when the drugs become legal. And even more interesting would be to see what becomes of all of the street level thugs and gangbangers when their customers could go to CVS or Walgreens and get a bag of heroin with no rat poison in it. Prohibition of alcohol was a dismal failure. The current prohibition of drugs is also a dismal failure. Human beings like to alter their states of consciousness, we have been doing it for thousands of years. Although I would not use heroin and I would educate my children not to, who are we to tell Mr. and Ms. Jon Doe that he or she cannot.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:54 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
then treatment doesnt work.
Does prison work any better? It costs much much more than treatment.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:11 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
I agree. The irony is that millions of people use tranquilizers, anti-depressants, pain killers, sleeping pill, alcohol, all legal, on a daily basis.

Keith Richards often said he didn't have a drug problem, he had a police problem. Now Keith is a country squire millionaire enjoying the grandkids after years of prodigious illegal drug use.

To think a substance is evil until a doctor's signature on a prescription pad makes it "medicine" that is good for you, is mind boggling.

I wish all the people vehemently in favor of the present drug laws could spend a year in the shoes of an incarcerated non-violent drug user, and all those vehemently in favor of military action could spend a year at the front lines being shot at.

Whether or not they survived their year experiencing what they have been in favor of, I think it would be a very different world for all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
The government should not be in the business of telling citizens what chemicals they can or cannot put into their bodies. Since alcohol is legal just make everything legal right across the board; heroin, cocaine, marijuana, etc. Tax it, regulate it and put it on the market. Why should alcoholics exclusively have the pleasure of their drug of choice being legal. Of course, not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic just as not everyone who uses other drugs is necessarily an addict.

It would be very interesting to see what would happen to all of these cartels who import the drugs when the drugs become legal. And even more interesting would be to see what becomes of all of the street level thugs and gangbangers when their customers could go to CVS or Walgreens and get a bag of heroin with no rat poison in it. Prohibition of alcohol was a dismal failure. The current prohibition of drugs is also a dismal failure. Human beings like to alter their states of consciousness, we have been doing it for thousands of years. Although I would not use heroin and I would educate my children not to, who are we to tell Mr. and Ms. Jon Doe that he or she cannot.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Does prison work any better? It costs much much more than treatment.
prison works 100% for keeping criminals away from civilized people. however, in the case of people only guilty of possession of drugs, i dont really need to keep them away from society so i wouldnt support that. i dont see the point in paying for their treatment either, so id just give them a slap on the wrist (or no punishment or arrest) and send them on their way.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:34 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,502 times
Good idea, could help a lot of addicts.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
prison works 100% for keeping criminals away from civilized people. however, in the case of people only guilty of possession of drugs, i dont really need to keep them away from society so i wouldnt support that. i dont see the point in paying for their treatment either, so id just give them a slap on the wrist (or no punishment or arrest) and send them on their way.
What is a "slap on the wrist (or no punishment or arrest)" exactly? A fine they are unable to pay? What happens when they don't pay it? Bench warrant & imprisonment?
Your "I don't want my tax money to pay for anyone's anything, anytime, ever" mantra seems to get in the way of your logic & reason. I don't live in your town. I don't want a single cent of my state tax money to pay for the maintenance of your roads.
I don't have children. I don't want ANY of the children in my town to become educated on my dime.
I infrequently use NJ Transit. I don't want this state to have a comprehensive transportation system because it doesn't directly effect me.
Do you see how shortsighted this type of stance can become to the greater environment is which you exist?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
What is a "slap on the wrist (or no punishment or arrest)" exactly? A fine they are unable to pay? What happens when they don't pay it? Bench warrant & imprisonment?
Your "I don't want my tax money to pay for anyone's anything, anytime, ever" mantra seems to get in the way of your logic & reason. I don't live in your town. I don't want a single cent of my state tax money to pay for the maintenance of your roads.
I don't have children. I don't want ANY of the children in my town to become educated on my dime.
I infrequently use NJ Transit. I don't want this state to have a comprehensive transportation system because it doesn't directly effect me.
Do you see how shortsighted this type of stance can become to the greater environment is which you exist?
im not sure what point you are trying to make. sure, a fine is a slap on the wrist. if they cant pay it? i guess you garnish wages, put a lien on property, charge late fees, etc. etc. its not like giving people fines is a new idea im proposing here. the government does it to tons of people and they have a system of collecting or dealing with non-payment. why are you asking me to invent a new system?

i think a system where people pay for the services they use is a good system. im not sure how this question is relevant to this thread. you dont like that i dont think taxpayers should pay for the treatment of drug addicts? im not changing that position and your little examples are different from that, different from each other and not necessarily accurate to my beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey