Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:00 PM

55 posts, read 113,353 times

Advertisements

We are expanding our house search from Westfield and cranford to SP and I'd love to hear from locals....

Why do you love it?

Are there areas to avoid?

What's the community/people like?

How are the schools and are there some better than others?

What's the commute to NYC like?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 07:19 PM

107 posts, read 383,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanisdrew View Post
We are expanding our house search from Westfield and cranford to SP and I'd love to hear from locals....

Why do you love it?

Are there areas to avoid?

What's the community/people like?

How are the schools and are there some better than others?

What's the commute to NYC like?

Thank you in advance.
1. I love Scotch Plains b/c it is near everything. Nothing is really more than an hours drive at max, the shore, the city, PA, etc. It also is filled with lots of families and has lots of community activities going on. If you want a "downtown", you are close to WF and Cranford and Summit and even Chatham and Madison aren't far.

2. No areas to really avoid, but I guess the streets on the border of Plainfield are less desireable

3. The community is great and diverse. Everyone seems pretty welcoming. It's very "kid" focused.

4. Schools are excellent, and from what I hear, improving all the time. I don't think there are any to avoid, but I don't have a child in school yet.

5. You can take the 114X or 113X into the city or take the train from Fanwood into Newark Penn Station, and then change to the train that goes directly into the city. You can also drive to the PATH station in Harrison and park there, and take the train in. You can do that going with 78. I took the 114X when I commuted into the city. That bus lets you off on Mountain Avenue in SP, and there is free parking along that street.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:52 PM

Thank you for the info....

Question: Why are you moving?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:31 PM

107 posts, read 383,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanisdrew View Post
Thank you for the info....

Question: Why are you moving?
Moving b/c we are in a townhouse with only two bedrooms. It was our starter home...Would like to upgrade.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:42 AM

i hear ya. good luck in your search. the market seems so slow!

Old 06-08-2015, 07:35 PM

16 posts, read 23,812 times
Default commute to NYC from Scotch Plains

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebsPSU View Post
1. I love Scotch Plains b/c it is near everything. Nothing is really more than an hours drive at max, the shore, the city, PA, etc. It also is filled with lots of families and has lots of community activities going on. If you want a "downtown", you are close to WF and Cranford and Summit and even Chatham and Madison aren't far.

2. No areas to really avoid, but I guess the streets on the border of Plainfield are less desireable

3. The community is great and diverse. Everyone seems pretty welcoming. It's very "kid" focused.

4. Schools are excellent, and from what I hear, improving all the time. I don't think there are any to avoid, but I don't have a child in school yet.

5. You can take the 114X or 113X into the city or take the train from Fanwood into Newark Penn Station, and then change to the train that goes directly into the city. You can also drive to the PATH station in Harrison and park there, and take the train in. You can do that going with 78. I took the 114X when I commuted into the city. That bus lets you off on Mountain Avenue in SP, and there is free parking along that street.
Hi! We have been searching for a home in SP and surrounding areas and like a house in the mountain view area. I was wondering how the buses run to NYC? Are they pretty much on schedule? any major delays? I figured it takes about an hour and like 10 by bus. My husband would normally prob take the train from Fanwood but it would be nice to have a second option. Or is the bus more reliable?Does the bus get pretty packed or can you get a seat usually?

Also, you mentioned that the community is diverse which is great to hear. We started looking in the winter and didnt see too many people out walking so it was hard to gauge and get a feel of the town.

Thank you so much. We have been searching so long and we are exhausted. We want this search to end already.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:53 AM

255 posts, read 455,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebsPSU View Post
1. I love Scotch Plains b/c it is near everything. Nothing is really more than an hours drive at max, the shore, the city, PA, etc. It also is filled with lots of families and has lots of community activities going on.

So it's like 85 percent of suburban towns in north and central Jersey is what you're trying to say.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:50 AM

48 posts, read 104,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by van_esp View Post
Hi! We have been searching for a home in SP and surrounding areas and like a house in the mountain view area. I was wondering how the buses run to NYC? Are they pretty much on schedule? any major delays? I figured it takes about an hour and like 10 by bus. My husband would normally prob take the train from Fanwood but it would be nice to have a second option. Or is the bus more reliable?Does the bus get pretty packed or can you get a seat usually?

Also, you mentioned that the community is diverse which is great to hear. We started looking in the winter and didnt see too many people out walking so it was hard to gauge and get a feel of the town.

Thank you so much. We have been searching so long and we are exhausted. We want this search to end already.
Going through the same now. I'm searching for properties within walking distance to the 114X first ahead of the 113X. I mention the preference for the 114X (along Mountain Ave.) because when looking at an open house this past weekend I asked a neighbor about the commute and I was told that being around the 114 also allows for you to take the 117 back home if for some reason you needed to. I was also told that it's ~1 hour if you leave around 7am.

I think most places in SP will be within a short drive to the Fanwood station as far as I can tell although I don't know the weekday morning commute traffic to the station.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:00 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,753,827 times
My bro-sis in law live in SP near the border of Edison. They love it there. More land for the same price as North Edison. He takes the train from Fanwood to NYC every day.

The kids are thriving at school and there always seems to be a ton of activities they are involved in.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:11 PM

389 posts, read 664,040 times
I moved to SP from Brooklyn within the last couple years. Absolutely love it. Echoing some points above:

> There really aren't "bad" areas, but homes that border Plainfield, homes that are near high voltage lines (also near plainfield, as it happens) and homes with a couple blocks of Route 22 seem to be 'less desirable' in terms of prices

> There is a very active newcomers club--they do some great events

> Schools seem fantastic. My DD is not yet in kindergarten, so I cant really speak from experience yet, but this is the #1 reason we moved here. The high school grounds are really nice--and well maintained.

> People are super nice. Neighbors really look out for each other (at least in my area). There is also a Scotch Plains/Fanwood facebook group (actually there are 2, the 'neighbors' one is smaller, with less 'moderating') with 5,000 residents on it!

> The town has been (thus far) very responsive when I've asked to have tree in front of my house pruned (town property)

Commute wise, you have to be realistic. Even though on paper a commute to downtown in the City is 1hr 5 mins, its usually closer to 1 hr 20. I cant speak to the bus aspect, and a lot of that depends on how close your workplace is to the train/bus station at the other end
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey