Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:30 AM

291 posts, read 977,266 times

Advertisements

Coming in late, but since you're willing to consider older homes as well, you may want to check out Westfield and Cranford. They are lovely towns with a very easy commute to Union, well-rated schools and lots to do. Westfield is the more affluent of the 2 and has an amazing downtown, but your budget will go a bit farther in Cranford and it's still a great town with a cute downtown area as well (it's HS was rated 13th in the state recently by NJ Magazine). They aren't the most diverse towns in NJ, but there is a good mix of people in both towns. I have lived and/or have family in both places, and they both have a great sense of community, as well.

ETA: Just something to keep in mind--what seems like a reasonable commute in terms of mileage or a drive during non-peak times, can often be much, much longer during rush hour. FWIW, my FIL commuted from a town neighboring Union to Bridgewater for several years before he retired, and while it was workable, it would often take him well over an hour at peak times, sometimes far longer than that, since there always seemed to be accidents and/or construction in Route 22.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 07:35 AM

15 posts, read 24,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Hillsborough is ok, no real downtown, quite rural and spread out and not a lot to do/see. The area used to be all farms, now the farms have been sold and developers have come in and built housing. More of a middle class town than upscale (not that there is anything wrong with that at all!) The schools are ok, not great, but not bad either. No real mass transportation available. I'd also be careful about all the homes using septics and well water. ( there are a lot in that boat.) The town has grown a lot recently, due to the lower cost of housing and services have not been able to keep pace, which of course has led to crowded schools, larger class sizes, and higher taxes to pay to build the much needed services. (typical growing pains.) On the plus side your housing dollar goes further than in the other towns you are considering. (though some of that is eaten away by the higher taxes.) The main drawback will be the commute to work. Taking rte 206 North to either 22 or 78 East will be a nightmare. Rte 206 is mostly a two lane country road with traffic lights, and more than enough traffic for a six lane road. (and it will be just as bad going home in the eve.) TBH Rte 22 during rush is horrific on a good day. Your commute will be l-o-n-g and hellish.

KoalaNJ
Thanks! Very good insight!!!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:35 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacultyM View Post
Yes. This exactly.
Agreed,
Hillsborough is OK if you work close by but like the others already said the commute to NYC is not so good.

This is one of those trade offs, newer house for lousy commute.

You are getting good advise from NJ residents.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Agreed,
Hillsborough is OK if you work close by but like the others already said the commute to NYC is not so good.

This is one of those trade offs, newer house for lousy commute.

You are getting good advise from NJ residents.
Thanks so much!! I totally agree!!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjersey View Post
Coming in late, but since you're willing to consider older homes as well, you may want to check out Westfield and Cranford. They are lovely towns with a very easy commute to Union, well-rated schools and lots to do. Westfield is the more affluent of the 2 and has an amazing downtown, but your budget will go a bit farther in Cranford and it's still a great town with a cute downtown area as well (it's HS was rated 13th in the state recently by NJ Magazine). They aren't the most diverse towns in NJ, but there is a good mix of people in both towns. I have lived and/or have family in both places, and they both have a great sense of community, as well.

ETA: Just something to keep in mind--what seems like a reasonable commute in terms of mileage or a drive during non-peak times, can often be much, much longer during rush hour. FWIW, my FIL commuted from a town neighboring Union to Bridgewater for several years before he retired, and while it was workable, it would often take him well over an hour at peak times, sometimes far longer than that, since there always seemed to be accidents and/or construction in Route 22.
Kola,Thank you so much for providing me with so much information!!! Ok, my very last question (I think)...is about Montclair. We have friends that live there. They boast about the great sense of community that they have and decent schools. Yet, their children go to private school. I researched and learned that the school system has magnet school and found that the taxes are ridiculous high! Your thoughts!

Old 04-03-2012, 09:19 AM

683 posts, read 465,191 times
Try looking into Branchburg, NJ. There are homes in the Neshanic Station area that are suitable to you, and also in the North Branch area off of Readington Road.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post
Try looking into Branchburg, NJ. There are homes in the Neshanic Station area that are suitable to you, and also in the North Branch area off of Readington Road.
Thanks! I will take a look!

Old 04-03-2012, 01:15 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post
You mean you haven't sold that house yet?

Lower the price and you won't have to keep trying to sell your house here.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:48 PM

17 posts, read 53,325 times
I would definitely look at Montclair! We also have many friends in the Maplewood/South Orange area. Great schools.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:01 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tparks View Post
Kola,Thank you so much for providing me with so much information!!! Ok, my very last question (I think)...is about Montclair. We have friends that live there. They boast about the great sense of community that they have and decent schools. Yet, their children go to private school. I researched and learned that the school system has magnet school and found that the taxes are ridiculous high! Your thoughts!

Montclair has a lot going for it. Pretty large town (population about 40,000) with plenty of diversity. Great access to NYC via train, (45 min commute, though parking at the stations is an issue and added expense.) Very urban environment (opposed to suburban, ie: Naperville) with plenty of shops, restaurants, galleries, theatres, etc. There are parts of town you'd definitely want to avoid due to crime/safety. It is a college town, which can be both a plus and a minus. Good resale value, as it is a desirable location for NYC commuters.

The schools are good, though definitely "different". All of their elementary and middle schools are what they call magnet schools with specialties. (One elem for environmental science, one Montessori, one global studies, one university tract, one science and technology, two "gifted and talented") The three middle schools are categorized as Visual and Performing Arts, Liberal Arts, and University STEM. Which then all funnel to one HS. I personally have ambivalent feelings about the system - how can a parent tell if their 4 yr old will be interested in/have an aptitude for a specific/focused education? There is more information available here Montclair Public Schools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Although Montclair HS was ranked 90 out of 330 according to NJ Monthly, I always wonder if that is because of the reputation they garnered back in the day, (80's 90's) when they won a bunch of awards, and due to the demographics of the population. You should check out this thread for more info on NJ Monthly school rankings //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-rankings.html

Your commute to Union will be long and not be easy. You'd have to take the Parkway (toll road) going through "wonderful" East Orange, Newark and Irvington. It is always very congested with back ups during rush and in the summer becomes a parking lot with traffic heading to the shore. Your actual commute time will be in excess of an hour if you travel during rush hours. (and much longer during summer mornings) Don't even think about trying to travel side roads to get to work. Seriously. Don't. Even.

Another huge consideration is the taxes. A home in Montclair that is currently on the market for $783,000, is a typical mid century expanded cape, with 3 Bd has a 2011 tax bill of $24,748. OUCH. (for the same price you will get a bigger house, more property and have a tax bill around $15,500/17,000 in Morris or Somerset County. Plus in the towns you are checking out in Morris or Somerset County, the schools rank much higher.)

Speaking of cost of living, your homeowners and car insurance will be significantly higher in Essex County than in the other towns you are considering. (NJ has the highest car insurance rates in the nation. So brace yourself.)

Don't for a moment worry about asking questions... we all understand how difficult and daunting moving across the country to an unfamiliar area is!

KoalaNJ

Last edited by KoalaNJ; 04-03-2012 at 06:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey