Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:36 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Here are some I found:
Wikipedia: "New Jersey banned self-service gasoline in 1949 after lobbying by service station owners. Proponents of the ban cite safety and jobs as reasons to keep the ban.[17] Likewise, the 1951 Oregon statute banning self-service gasoline lists 17 different justifications, including the flammability of gas, the risk of crime from customers leaving their car, the toxic fumes emitted by gasoline, and the jobs created by requiring mini service."

This is really written about Oregon, but I'd guess the reasons are similar:

• People with training in pumping are better at keeping down fire risk
  • It is nearly impossible to enforce safety standards on the driving public
  • Seniors and disabled drivers can’t get adequate help at self-serve stations, and are instead forced to find a full-service outlet and pay a higher price
  • Oregon’s rainy climate leads to more slick spots at gas stations, meaning higher liability insurance rates
  • Decreased maintenance of pumps because they aren’t regularly monitored
  • Self-service contributes to unemployment – especially among young people
  • Exposure to toxic fumes is a health hazard
  • Toxic fume exposure is heightened for pregnant women
  • Gas drive-off thefts are cut down with the law
  • Children are sometimes left unattended when customers go to make payment
I guess the bolded was lost on Washington State, with the western part of the state suffering the same rainy climate. And I guess there are a higher % of defective fetuses in every state, save Oregon and New Jersey.

In other words, I believe Oregon's statues, at least some of them, are a little bit of a stretch.

It all comes back to dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:42 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Well, given that the stations are paying a fee to the credit card company, they either have to raise the price for credit card use, or build the fee into the cost per gallon that everyone pays- you're going to pay it either way.
That's odd, because every other single place I use my credit card I pay the same price as if I used cash. If Kings, Starbucks and Macys can absorb the fee, why not the gas stations?

Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
In other words, I believe Oregon's statues, at least some of them, are a little bit of a stretch.
Are these statues of famous people from Oregon's past?
Are they in museums, or in public parks?
Are these statues particularly tall?
Where can I view these statues?

And, most important of all--Are there any statutes regulating the height of these statues?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:29 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
That's odd, because every other single place I use my credit card I pay the same price as if I used cash. If Kings, Starbucks and Macys can absorb the fee, why not the gas stations?
They don't "absorb" the fee- their prices include the cost of credit card processing. You just don't see it because it's built into the price. Nothing is free....

Old 04-12-2012, 06:51 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
They don't "absorb" the fee- their prices include the cost of credit card processing. You just don't see it because it's built into the price. Nothing is free....
So then the people paying cash are paying the fee as well? Whether or not the fee is incorporated is a matter of perspective. Competition drives prices so if Macys cant sell a tie they have to lower the price, regardless of the credit card fee. The only difference is that there is not two different prices for the tie, based on your method of payment. Gas stations are the only ones who do this. I try to avoid stations that do this, but it is getting harder and harder to find stations that don't.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:28 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
I try to avoid stations that do this, but it is getting harder and harder to find stations that don't.
You might want to consider buying your gas at Costco's gas stations. Not only are they usually the cheapest ones in the area, but they do not charge "extra" for the use of credit cards. In fact, they do not accept cash!

Costco accepts Amex cards, as well as "selected" debit cards, so you should really consider them as your source for gas--as long as there is a Costco station anywhere near your usual travel routes. Not every Costco store has a gas station, unfortunately.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:44 AM

2 posts, read 5,408 times
Default Gas station CC markup explanation

The economics of these charges are actually more complex; the way it works is that the gas station, which is usually a franchisee, keeps a fixed cost per gallon, irrespective of the price of a gallon of gas. so if the price of a gallon of gas goes up, and thus the percentage taken by the CC company goes up, the gas station owner's take goes down. quick example (using fairly real numbers; gas stations take in about 15-16 cents per gallon):

Gas station gets 15 cents per gallon
Gas =$3/gallon
Credit card company gets 3%, or $0.09
Gas station gets $0.06

but when
Gas =$4/gallon
Credit card company gets 3%, or $0.12
Gas station gets $0.03

So when gas goes up, the gas station owners take a massive hit.

i hope that makes sense!

ed

Old 04-13-2012, 06:35 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You might want to consider buying your gas at Costco's gas stations. Not only are they usually the cheapest ones in the area, but they do not charge "extra" for the use of credit cards. In fact, they do not accept cash!

Costco accepts Amex cards, as well as "selected" debit cards, so you should really consider them as your source for gas--as long as there is a Costco station anywhere near your usual travel routes. Not every Costco store has a gas station, unfortunately.
i'd spend more to drive to costco than I'd save i don't even know where the closest one with a gas station is actually!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
So then the people paying cash are paying the fee as well? Whether or not the fee is incorporated is a matter of perspective. Competition drives prices so if Macys cant sell a tie they have to lower the price, regardless of the credit card fee. The only difference is that there is not two different prices for the tie, based on your method of payment. Gas stations are the only ones who do this. I try to avoid stations that do this, but it is getting harder and harder to find stations that don't.
i have 2 near me who charge same price, and 7+ who do not. In my limited research, the 2 who charge the same seem to do better business. their prices are more than cash at other stations, but less than credit.

i believe wawa charges the same for both, and they tend to be cheaper to boot. unfortunately they are not in our neck of the woods, but i make a point of filling up there when I'm at work.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikhands View Post
The economics of these charges are actually more complex; the way it works is that the gas station, which is usually a franchisee, keeps a fixed cost per gallon, irrespective of the price of a gallon of gas. so if the price of a gallon of gas goes up, and thus the percentage taken by the CC company goes up, the gas station owner's take goes down. quick example (using fairly real numbers; gas stations take in about 15-16 cents per gallon):

Gas station gets 15 cents per gallon
Gas =$3/gallon
Credit card company gets 3%, or $0.09
Gas station gets $0.06

but when
Gas =$4/gallon
Credit card company gets 3%, or $0.12
Gas station gets $0.03

So when gas goes up, the gas station owners take a massive hit.

i hope that makes sense!

ed
it makes sense, what doesn't make sense is it didn't seem to be a problem for the past 30 years. i don't know if anyone remembers but about 20 years ago stations pulled this sh** and there was such a backlash gas station stopped the practice.

i also remember a few years ago when gas went down to $1.25 the owners still charged more for credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: