Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:02 PM

605 posts, read 2,147,055 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Livingston to Florham Park next month. We are moving 1.5 miles down the road into a 2007 colonial on a cul de sac. We are thrilled to leave Essex County taxes!

Florham Park is #7 place to live but nobody seems to be all that interested in the town. I keep reading threads about people working in FP and trying to find the right town. Why not FP?

We plan to send our daughter plus future child to private school so we aren't concerned about the school system. However, the schools seem fine until high school.

From the people we talk to, people LOVE living there and often live in their homes forever.

What gives? Yes, it is a sleepy town but we have a family and are just looking for a safe, quiet town. We did the Manhattan thing in our 20's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 01:25 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,772,355 times
No easy commute to Manhattan kills it for a lot of people. Even if you do not need it now, it will affect resale

Old 04-13-2012, 01:35 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,112 times
the commute to NY is actually really easy. take the train from convent station. whats hard about that?

Old 04-13-2012, 03:35 PM

My husband has a south orange parking pass so his commute will be 5 minutes longer tops.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:08 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,788,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
We plan to send our daughter plus future child to private school so we aren't concerned about the school system. However, the schools seem fine until high school.

F.
You hit the nail on the head right there. Many people do just that (since FP does not have its own high school and is a sending district to Hanover Park, and many people prefer private HS to that public HS), so some of the sense of community is lost when many people have separate school communities from their towns. It's also small so you just don't hear that much about FP. The strip malls are much improved now and have places people want to come (Panera, Trader Joes, Starbucks, Red Mango, etc) so that has made it less "sleepy" imo. Does seem a good option to high taxes in Livingston. Note though that per my response, most in Livingston move there for the schools/community.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:51 PM

513 posts, read 1,167,052 times
I think that it's an extra-special town just because the J-E-T-S train there. The Jets have a beautiful facility on Jets Drive.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:41 PM

24 posts, read 56,554 times
Hanover Park High School provides a top notch education. Kids are safe there and each year the school sends a bunch of kids to competitive colleges.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:54 PM

12 posts, read 19,770 times
Education in NJ sucks period. It needs an overhaul

Old 04-14-2012, 09:21 PM

292 posts, read 718,710 times
First of all, how many houses did you see in FP? I rarely see houses for sale there.

I believe FP is a hidden gem. It has a good location and seems like a decent suburban town with nice neighborhoods, though without being flashy. Taxes are low, and its proximity to Morristown, Madison, Short Hills Mall, as well as Routes 287, 24, 10, 80, 280, and 46 help also.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
First of all, how many houses did you see in FP? I rarely see houses for sale there.

We have been looking in Summit, Short Hills and Millburn since last summer. We started looking in FP since November. Some houses are still on the market from that time. We were the first people to see our house and snatched it up almost immediately. I saw it on a Wednesday morning and brought hubby back Sat and went under contract by Sunday morning. There were lots of unhappy people waiting for a second showing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey