Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 02:55 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,353 times

Advertisements

I always hear about how all the blacks live in North Jersey. Are there any majority black towns in south jersey besides Camden?

How do they do crime and school wise?

Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 03:18 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,120 times
Camden is not actually majority black. According to the 2010 Census at least, they form about 48% of the city's population. Hispanics make up 47% of the city (for the most part Puerto Rican).

Lawnside in Camden County is a small town that is a little more than 90% black. The land that comprises the borough was first bought by abolitionists for former slaves in 1840. When it was incorporated in 1926, it became the first self-governing black community north of the Mason-Dixon (Lawnside, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Atlantic City has a large black population, though not a majority. Hispanics make up a larger population in AC than African Americans, but I'm not sure what their primary origins are. I'd assume also Puerto Rican but don't quote me.

Willingboro in Burlington County is majority black. It was one of the Levittowns built in the 50s and 60s.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:30 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Camden is not actually majority black. According to the 2010 Census at least, they form about 48% of the city's population. Hispanics make up 47% of the city (for the most part Puerto Rican).
Wow, in 2000 Camden was a little over 50% black. That's a big change.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:34 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,489 times
Willingboro, NJ.

A very beautiful suburb with not-so-great schools.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,203 times
Quote:

Lawnside in Camden County is a small town that is a little more than 90% black. The land that comprises the borough was first bought by abolitionists for former slaves in 1840. When it was incorporated in 1926, it became the first self-governing black community north of the Mason-Dixon (Lawnside, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Atlantic City has a large black population, though not a majority. Hispanics make up a larger population in AC than African Americans, but I'm not sure what their primary origins are. I'd assume also Puerto Rican but don't quote me.

Willingboro in Burlington County is majority black. It was one of the Levittowns built in the 50s and 60s.
Interactive map: 30 years of census data - The Washington Post

Actually, Camden is 47.0% Hispanic and 44.3% Black. Back in 2000, it was 49.8% Black and 38.8% Hispanic, so technically it no longer had a Black majority.

In Atlantic City, Blacks still slightly outnumber Hispanics (35.6% vs. 30.4%) The same thing in Pleasantville (42.5% vs. 41.1%).

In any case, the only cities/towns/boroughs where there is a Black majority are Salem (60.0%), Willingboro (70.6%), and Lawnside (87.3%). Trenton almost makes it at 49.8% (It was actually majority Black back in 2000, at 50.9%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Willingboro, NJ.

A very beautiful suburb with not-so-great schools.
On another forum, somebody from East Flatbush, Brooklyn said he went there and felt it was worse than Wyandanch. I'd tend to trust his judgement, but what's your opinion?

Old 04-16-2012, 05:02 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

Actually, Camden is 47.0% Hispanic and 44.3% Black. Back in 2000, it was 49.8% Black and 38.8% Hispanic, so technically it no longer had a Black majority.

In Atlantic City, Blacks still slightly outnumber Hispanics (35.6% vs. 30.4%) The same thing in Pleasantville (42.5% vs. 41.1%).

In any case, the only cities/towns/boroughs where there is a Black majority are Salem (60.0%), Willingboro (70.6%), and Lawnside (87.3%). Trenton almost makes it at 49.8% (It was actually majority Black back in 2000, at 50.9%)

On another forum, somebody from East Flatbush, Brooklyn said he went there and felt it was worse than Wyandanch. I'd tend to trust his judgement, but what's your opinion?
It "felt" worse than Wyandanch? Maybe the youth in Willingboro were more thugged out and he got bad vibes? That comment doesn't sound like its directly based on the looks of the community but the type of people he encountered.

I haven't been there in about a decade but I remember it had a good housing stock. It's housing stock would be considered very desirable in most places. Lots of nice center-hall colonials and ranches. Maybe he went to a less-maintained section of Willingboro?

Old 04-16-2012, 05:53 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

Actually, Camden is 47.0% Hispanic and 44.3% Black.
Hmm, that's weird. I was going off Wikipedia, which quoted this page: American FactFinder - Results

I wonder why there's a discrepancy in the data.

Edit: Link is being weird, you might have to go to the Camden wikipedia page and directly click reference #6.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 PM

390 posts, read 1,367,109 times
East Orange and Irvington are two cities with the largest percentage of black residents in the country. Something like 98-99% black.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
It "felt" worse than Wyandanch? Maybe the youth in Willingboro were more thugged out and he got bad vibes? That comment doesn't sound like its directly based on the looks of the community but the type of people he encountered.

I haven't been there in about a decade but I remember it had a good housing stock. It's housing stock would be considered very desirable in most places. Lots of nice center-hall colonials and ranches. Maybe he went to a less-maintained section of Willingboro?
I said "he felt" as in "He thought". It didn't really sound like he felt any bad vibes. He said it in a more matter-of-fact way.

In any case, I assume it was based on the people he encountered, rather than the physical homes in the area. He said "In short, people from Philly and Camden are starting to come in. Picture an AA version of Levittown with a Brownsville element" or something to that effect.

Based on his description of NYC neighborhoods, he doesn't seem too far off. (And since he lives in East Flatbush, it's not like he's sheltered or anything).

Quote:
Hmm, that's weird. I was going off Wikipedia, which quoted this page: American FactFinder - Results

I wonder why there's a discrepancy in the data.

Edit: Link is being weird, you might have to go to the Camden wikipedia page and directly click reference #6.
I see.

Both sites are correct. The thing is that Hispanics can be of any race. You have Hispanics with African ancestry, and some with European ancestry, and some with Native American ancestry (and of course, a lot of Hispanics are a mix of 2 or 3 of those. For instance, I have both European and Native American ancestry).

So it's 48% Black, but only 44% consider themselves to be of African ancestry, and the other 4% are Black Hispanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labcjo View Post
East Orange and Irvington are two cities with the largest percentage of black residents in the country. Something like 98-99% black.
First of all, they're in Northern NJ, and the OP wants to know about Southern NJ.

Second of all, they're nowhere near 98% Black. They're about 80-90% Black (I don't feel like looking up the stats), which is a lot, but it's not 98% Black.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,628,197 times
Pleasantville and maybe beverly maybe Ewing Trenton maybe lindenwold but apart from that south jersey is white with some Hispanics and growing number of Asians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey