Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:44 AM

10 posts, read 19,716 times

Advertisements

I am puzzled by the same towns being mentioned on CD over and over again. Chatham, Ridgewood, Summit, Millburn, Westfield. Why not Mendham? It has a solid greatschools rating of 10, a town center, the patriot's path, and it's super safe. Why doesn't anyone recommend it on here as wholeheartedly as the other towns? I think there is a big misconseption about it being "too far out there". The drive through New Vernon/Green Village vs. taking the highway gets you into the city in about an hour. Also, there is a townhome community where some units are priced as low as in 300s (it has two swimming pools, a playground, sidewalks). I think a lot of people stay away from Mendham thinking only of multi-million dollar properties which are also present. Just curious?? I think it is such a perfect little town for people with kids searching for something safe, decent, beautiful, not crowded, and with great schools!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 11:50 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,007 times
Lack of mass transit.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:55 AM

There are three train stations to chose from in close vicinity - Morristown being 15 minutes away by car. If one gets there early, there are a few free parking spots available every morning. I would think it's harder to get parking permits in other towns, unless people prefer not to drive. But yes, having a train station in town would be more advantageous to many, I'm sure.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:11 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Not convenient for NYC commute.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:50 PM

Is NYC commute really that important to everyone? One hour in the car to the Holland Tunnel from Mendham sounds awesome to me.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:05 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,977,097 times
Sorry if you apparently don't like the reasons, but they are valid. I have freinds in Mendham and they love it. Good community, schools, pretty area. But it just isn't as convenient for commuting as the other towns you mentioned.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:37 PM

605 posts, read 2,146,752 times
It is the country. No transportation. Very few roads go through it, and if you get stuck behind a bus it can take you an hour to get out of town. There is limited shopping in the immediate area. I have a friend who lives in a gorgeous house there with 5 acres. That house would be 4 million in Short Hills or Summit, probably more. She paid less than a million.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:56 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,568 times
Mendham is gorgeous. If you want to do a scenic fall foliage drive/tour, don't bother going all the way to New England. Just go to Mendham.

HOWEVER, I agree that it IS the country (for most folks, anyway). It's not all that convenient to drive anyplace. You have to meander through slow country roads just to get to a semi-main artery, and then drive a ways on that to get anywhere or to a main highway.

As for the drive from Mendham into Manhattan via the Holland Tunnel...um, it might take 1 hour, maybe at 3 AM on a Saturday. But what about on a Tuesday at 8 AM or 6 PM? Not to mention the gas & tolls. Plus, the Holland Tunnel would only be convenient to lower Manhattan. If you're going to midtown, you'd have to get on the West Side Highway or the FDR to go uptown. Or slog your way through Broadway or one of the other avenues.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,010 times
The Mendhams and the Chesters (there are two of each of them) are all gorgeous and affluent areas, but really not that convenient for commuting to New York. The kind of person who would be able to afford living there would be the executive type, most likely working in Manhattan.

Interestingly, the wikipedia page for Mendham Township even admits this:

Given that no Interstate, US or New Jersey State Highway runs very near to Mendham Township, the township has not become so much of a New York City suburb as nearby communities with more accessible highway and commuter rail access. For those heading to points outside the township, Interstate 287, County Route 510, Interstate 80, and Interstate 78, are all accessible. Commuters can drive to nearby Morristown to access the New Jersey Transit Midtown Direct express train line into Midtown Manhattan.

Mendham Township, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-25-2012, 06:42 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yovanka View Post
Is NYC commute really that important to everyone? One hour in the car to the Holland Tunnel from Mendham sounds awesome to me.
on a sunday AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey