Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 09:34 AM

316 posts, read 943,508 times

Advertisements

hello fellow city data posters! was hoping to get some advice from my fellow Jerseyans. I was born and raised in a small suburban town in Essex county and a then relocated to Chicago. I loved it there! But I am heading back to NJ. Recently took a job relocation in Somerset (near border of S. Bound Brook). Ok here is my criteria I am looking for, I am hoping to collect some good tips as I explore where to live in NJ:

1. Some sort of walkable "downtown area". We really miss city life! I know we can't match Chicago here, but some sort of main street feel would be good. I don't want to do the "middle of suburbia" thing that I did growing up. At least not right now! My wife and I are 30 in case you were wondering our ages - no kids.
2. Ideally, I'd like to stay within a 45 min commute to my job.
3. Looking to buy a townhouse most likely. or some sort of row house or large condo. 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, basement a plus etc. townhouses are probably ideal although i know that this usually means having to live in a townhouse complex. again, that is not a problem if we are in a good town with stuff to do. budget is probably in the $300 - $350K range, give or take.
4. want to be close to a train station to get to NYC. by close I mean walking distance or at least a 10 to 15 min drive away.

OK - let's see what you guys come up with! After doing some initial research, these are the towns I have my list to explore:
Morristown, Madison, Cranford, Westfield, New Brunswick, Summit

thank you SO much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 07:10 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieguns View Post
hello fellow city data posters! was hoping to get some advice from my fellow Jerseyans. I was born and raised in a small suburban town in Essex county and a then relocated to Chicago. I loved it there! But I am heading back to NJ. Recently took a job relocation in Somerset (near border of S. Bound Brook). Ok here is my criteria I am looking for, I am hoping to collect some good tips as I explore where to live in NJ:

1. Some sort of walkable "downtown area". We really miss city life! I know we can't match Chicago here, but some sort of main street feel would be good. I don't want to do the "middle of suburbia" thing that I did growing up. At least not right now! My wife and I are 30 in case you were wondering our ages - no kids.
3. Looking to buy a townhouse most likely. or some sort of row house or large condo. 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, basement a plus etc. townhouses are probably ideal although i know that this usually means having to live in a townhouse complex. again, that is not a problem if we are in a good town with stuff to do. budget is probably in the $300 - $350K range, give or take.
4. want to be close to a train station to get to NYC. by close I mean walking distance or at least a 10 to 15 min drive away.

OK - let's see what you guys come up with! After doing some initial research, these are the towns I have my list to explore:

thank you SO much!
my first instinct was morristown (check out rose arbor for townhomes). easy commute to boot. i'm not too big a fan of new brunswick. cranford is nice too. i think you'll have a price point issue with the others.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:40 PM

316 posts, read 943,508 times
should I take the lack of responses to my post to mean that NJ doesn't have much to offer for what we are looking for????

c'mom fellow city data-ers - where are you?!?

thanks!

Old 10-14-2007, 08:28 PM

687 posts, read 3,252,627 times
Quote:
should I take the lack of responses to my post to mean that NJ doesn't have much to offer for what we are looking for????
No, tahiti is right--the price point you're looking at for a walkable town is going to be tough. Most of the walkable areas close to train stations in NJ are pretty expensive. They're desirable areas, so people pay a premium.

There are lots of townhomes in your range in NJ, however.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:39 AM

119 posts, read 240,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieguns View Post

thank you SO much!
South Bound Brook has a brand new condo/townhouse community called Canal Crossing that would be my first choice if I were you since it can easily walk to Bound Brook Train Station, and Bound Brook has nice new downtown and parks ...etc. Not sure if you can get one thought. I was there the other day and not too many units left in this brand new community.

If not, I would consider New Brunswick since it has Rutgers Univ and many young people and lots of concerts, events, ...etc. You can bid on priceline on 3* hotel at $40 to stay at wonderful Hyatt Regency to try out a weekend for yourself. that is only a block or two from New Brunswick Train Station.

Another one with downtown feeling is Metuchen where you may find some nice condo/townhouses at your price range and can walk to Metuchen Train Station.

Morristown down town is nice, and you can bid 3* hotel at $45 to get Hyatt Morristown (was Headquarter Hotel), and one weekend will get you excited there.

Other towns you mentioned are more expensive but also nice towns. In fact, maybe I should also include Morristown. But, none of these town will have great access to Rutgers activities like in New Bruswick area. e.g. a great football game at huge stadium can get your weekend very excited. A nice free high quality concert calm you down. And, many top performers from foreigh countries will come to perform at New Brusnswick. Hard to find in other towns your mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey