Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2006, 08:39 AM

19 posts, read 140,805 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

Please bare with me, we're from MI and there is no public transportation used here except maybe a few buses in Detroit (that I've never even seen) so all the trains/buses/subways etc is a total new idea for us. I'm checking on NJtransit site but still awfully confused.

My husband will be working a couple blocks from Grand Central Station on 42nd street. We're looking at buying a house in either Kenilworth or Springfield NJ.

Can someone please walk me through how he would do his commute each day and approx. how long it will take (we do have 2 cars so he can drive to the best train/bus station for the easiest commute).

From what I'm gathering pretty much everything leaving from the Union Twsp area will go into Penn Station and he'd need to transfer to another line to get into Grand Central (possibly taking a subway or walking also) correct???

Thank you SO much!
Candi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 09:32 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,633,156 times
OK here you go. By train...NJ Transit to Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station. N.Y. City subway (A,C or E line) north 1 stop to 42nd. Street station Port Authority Bus Terminal, (when the weather is OK and you have time you can walk from Penn Station NY on 34th.street and 8th.ave.. to the Port Authority Bus Terminal 41st. street and 8th.ave.) When at the 42nd. street station you will need to get on the S train (which is the cross town shuttle) to Grand Central Terminal (1 stop). Another choice would be the bus from Union into the Port Authority and then go downstairs and get the S train crosstown. By the way when in New York always refer to Grand Central as GRAND CENTRAL TERMINAL and not GRAND CENTRAL STATION. Why you may ask? Grand Central Station is the U.S. Post Office, Grand Central Terminal is where you get the trains and go to the Oyster Bar for the best clam chowder in New York. Either way you'll sound like a knowledgeable New Yorker when referring to land marks. You can walk from Penn Station to Grand Central in about a half hour, its a 15 block walk (long blocks) 5 block walk from the Port Authority. As far as time, I think if you hit all your connections and there are no delays (by train), it shouldn't take more than aprox. an hour and fifteen. By bus your at the mercy of the New Jersey Turnpike and The Lincoln Tunnel. There is an express bus lane from the turnpike to the tunnel that moves reasonably well on most days, once through the Lincoln your at the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Good luck, hope this helps!

Quote of the day. Explanation of Marital Freedom: "The liberty that allows a husband to do exactly that which his wife pleases."

Last edited by exhdo1; 09-17-2006 at 09:43 AM..

Old 09-17-2006, 09:41 AM

19 posts, read 140,805 times
Thank you... if it assists at all his office address is 220 E. 42nd Street

Old 09-17-2006, 10:10 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,633,156 times
220 east is between 2nd and 3rd. avenues 2 blocks east of Grand Central!

Old 09-21-2006, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 13,406 times
Not sure how deep into your search you are for a home, or your price range, but homes in Union seem to run from $320 and up. Springfield seems to start at $400 or so for homes (condos starting at $220). We're looking to move from a Springfield condo to a Union home, so we've been doing a lot of researching...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey