Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:39 PM

5 posts, read 25,702 times

Advertisements

I dont use car very often, therefore it is usually parked for a long time on a street that does not have any restrictions.
Today I found out that my car was towed by the town because of the "emergency road repairs" (they have resurfaced the whole street). The sign about that was posted 2 days after i've parked the car and 1 week before it was towed.
Since the street is out of the way from my house I've never noticed the sign.
Also, they gave me a parking ticket.
Notably, my car has a town parking sticker registered to my name/address, so they could easily find me if they would want that.

Is there any chance to fight the ticket off? Is there any chance to make city pay back the towing charges?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 09:53 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
The sign was posted well in advance of what is required by NJ law.

[SIZE=3]
Quote:
<A name={AFEF}>[SIZE=3]27:3A-3. <A name=FolioHit1>Emergency closing; notice[/SIZE]
<A name={AFF0}>[SIZE=3] Should the governing body or agency closing the highway or road determine that an <A name=FolioHit2>emergency condition exists requiring the immediate closing of a State, county or municipal highway or road for a period of 48 hours or longer, the notice requirements of this act need not be given within the prescribed time periods, but every effort shall be made to notify the public as soon as possible of the closing.

L.1983, c. 84, s. 3.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 12-04-2009, 10:22 PM

Thanks for replying. Not quite sure that it applies to this case, as it seem to be mostly for advance signs for traffic routes and not for parking. Also, the street (not highway or road) was not closed for 48 hours.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:03 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletwain View Post
Since the street is out of the way from my house I've never noticed the sign.
Also, they gave me a parking ticket.
Notably, my car has a town parking sticker registered to my name/address, so they could easily find me if they would want that.

Is there any chance to fight the ticket off? Is there any chance to make city pay back the towing charges?

Thanks.
More out of curiosity, why would you park your car out of the way of your home? Second, don't you want to check on it occasionally to make sure it's still there and undamaged? Is this street generally used by towns people for long term parking?

Nothing can prevent you from showing up at court to fight it. I would contact your town or go to your library to find out about the parking laws specific to your town.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:17 AM

587 posts, read 2,178,441 times
why should you be held accountable for where you park your car? its not your fault that they needed to resurface the roads, fight that and have the town pay you extra for your inconveniences. Also recommend that your mayor personally notify every resident of such future events.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
More out of curiosity, why would you park your car out of the way of your home? Second, don't you want to check on it occasionally to make sure it's still there and undamaged? Is this street generally used by towns people for long term parking?

Nothing can prevent you from showing up at court to fight it. I would contact your town or go to your library to find out about the parking laws specific to your town.
This is the only street near my home where a car can be parked for a long time. It is only a block away, but since i don't pass it daily, I am not aware if they post any new signs on it.

Thanks for the advise, appreciate it.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumra View Post
why should you be held accountable for where you park your car? its not your fault that they needed to resurface the roads, fight that and have the town pay you extra for your inconveniences. Also recommend that your mayor personally notify every resident of such future events.
Thanks for replying.
I am not against resurfacing the roads and understand that they have to do it, and it benefits a lot of people. But since it is the only road for long term parking in my neighborhood, they could do better job of notifying people. However, i am not sure if such argument will be valuable in court

Old 12-05-2009, 12:44 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
You might find a judge with a soft spot but mostly I think you'll hear that you had a full week to find out. How did you want them to notify you - personal letter? It was posted. You parked on a public street, not in a parking garage.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:16 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
Well when I hear about stuff like this it makes me want to come in to court with double bazookas and AK-47's, lol. But maybe you might find a room full of people in a similar situation and maybe the town might cancel the tickets and towing charges? You never know until you try.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
You might find a judge with a soft spot but mostly I think you'll hear that you had a full week to find out. How did you want them to notify you - personal letter? It was posted. You parked on a public street, not in a parking garage.
Thanks. Unfortunately, I think you're right and its a lost cause.
As for notification — yes, something like personal letter would be nice. If I won't pay taxes or this stupid ticket in time, they will have no problems finding me. Or before calling a tow truck and writing me ticket, the cop could walk to my door, ring the bell and ask me to move the car. That would take the same amount of time for them, but, of course, its a too humane thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: