Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:15 PM

123 posts, read 345,251 times

Advertisements

Looking for information on the Totowa, NJ area
We are looking into a couple of career opportunities in the Totowa, NJ area. I don't know anything at all about the area outside of a few Google searches. I'm hoping to get some local incite on the living and relocating to the area. We are a lesbian couple starting a family. We have lived in Southern California & New England. I would really love to find a community that is welcoming of new people and has lots of opportunities to become part of the local community.

We would like to find a city/towns with LBGT friendly & diverse neighborhoods that are fitting for professionals & families alike. Preferably with good schools (public/charter/secular private,) ideally with local parks, community centers/recreation opportunities, restaurants/bars/coffee house, and shops in walking distance. We also enjoy attending soccer games, theater, concerts, and such. Easy access to the city for weekends... in someways it would be nice to be close to NY city. But a cool local little city/town might work for use as well.
Of course affordable housing (3bed, 2bath, yard & garage under $400,000 or $500,000) is important also. But we are willing to play the give and take game, and understand that we might not get everything on our wish list.
So, any areas come to mind?

What are some pros and cons of the area in your book? Things we might want to consider about the area(s)?

Please only constructive information, posts and feed back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 07:36 PM

291 posts, read 977,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj79 View Post
Looking for information on the Totowa, NJ area
We are looking into a couple of career opportunities in the Totowa, NJ area. I don't know anything at all about the area outside of a few Google searches. I'm hoping to get some local incite on the living and relocating to the area. We are a lesbian couple starting a family. We have lived in Southern California & New England. I would really love to find a community that is welcoming of new people and has lots of opportunities to become part of the local community.

We would like to find a city/towns with LBGT friendly & diverse neighborhoods that are fitting for professionals & families alike. Preferably with good schools (public/charter/secular private,) ideally with local parks, community centers/recreation opportunities, restaurants/bars/coffee house, and shops in walking distance. We also enjoy attending soccer games, theater, concerts, and such. Easy access to the city for weekends... in someways it would be nice to be close to NY city. But a cool local little city/town might work for use as well.
Of course affordable housing (3bed, 2bath, yard & garage under $400,000 or $500,000) is important also. But we are willing to play the give and take game, and understand that we might not get everything on our wish list.
So, any areas come to mind?

What are some pros and cons of the area in your book? Things we might want to consider about the area(s)?

Please only constructive information, posts and feed back.
Montclair is a great place with a lot of what you are looking for. There is some debate on the quality of the public schools (you can search the forums, there are several recent posts about it), but it's a very cool place with lots going on, and it would be an easy place (relatively speaking) for a LBGT family to live. Your housing budget probably would not stretch super far in Montclair, but it's worth a look, because from what you've said, I think it would be the best fit around. And if you are open to private schools, there are several excellent options in the area, as well. Super easy access to NYC, plenty of both singles/yuppies and families.

ETA: Just saw your other post about Mt. Laurel. IMO, I tend to think of the Northern/Metro NYC area of NJ as more progressive than the other parts of the state. I'm sure there are places in southern NJ that are more progressive, and places in NNJ that are less so, but in general, I think NNJ might be more what you're looking for.

Last edited by jerseyjersey; 07-19-2012 at 07:56 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 07:53 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,808,379 times
Agree with Montclair. good luck!

Old 07-20-2012, 09:29 AM

91 posts, read 375,963 times
Default Totowa, NJ

Montclair and Maplewood/South Orange would fit the bill; attractive, liberal towns which have a number of gay and lesbian couples and families. There are always a variety of homes for sale in your price range.

Please direct message me if you'd like more information or a tour of the towns. I'd be happy to send you listings of available properties with photos to get you started.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjersey View Post
Montclair is a great place with a lot of what you are looking for. There is some debate on the quality of the public schools (you can search the forums, there are several recent posts about it), but it's a very cool place with lots going on, and it would be an easy place (relatively speaking) for a LBGT family to live. Your housing budget probably would not stretch super far in Montclair, but it's worth a look, because from what you've said, I think it would be the best fit around. And if you are open to private schools, there are several excellent options in the area, as well. Super easy access to NYC, plenty of both singles/yuppies and families.

ETA: Just saw your other post about Mt. Laurel. IMO, I tend to think of the Northern/Metro NYC area of NJ as more progressive than the other parts of the state. I'm sure there are places in southern NJ that are more progressive, and places in NNJ that are less so, but in general, I think NNJ might be more what you're looking for.
Thanks for the feed back!

I looks like the jobs could be in Wayne or Totowa, NJ... Any incite on what the commute(s) from Montclair area might look like?
Also, Could you tell me about the public transportation options for getting into NYC and/or similar areas with all the "big city" amenities?? Do the trains come out that far?? How long is the drive to the city &/or closer train/subway/ferry stations??

What are the recreational centers/clubs (public & private), parks, social clubs/activities, night life and such opportunities?? We ended up in a much more quite/rural suburb in NE then we would have liked. I still find it challenging to adjust to the standoffish NE culture. We are really hoping for a more lively & community oriented area for out next move.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap02 View Post
Montclair and Maplewood/South Orange would fit the bill; attractive, liberal towns which have a number of gay and lesbian couples and families. There are always a variety of homes for sale in your price range.

Please direct message me if you'd like more information or a tour of the towns. I'd be happy to send you listings of available properties with photos to get you started.
Thanks for the feed back! I will ask you pretty much the same as I ask prior.

I looks like the jobs could be in Wayne or Totowa, NJ... Any incite on what the commute(s) from Montclair & Mapleood & South Orange area(s) might look like?
Also, Could you tell me about the public transportation options for getting into NYC and/or similar areas with all the "big city" amenities?? Do the trains come out that far?? How long is the drive to the city &/or closer train/subway/ferry stations??

What are the recreational centers/clubs (public & private), parks, social clubs/activities, night life and such opportunities?? We ended up in a much more quite/rural suburb in NE then we would have liked. I still find it challenging to adjust to the standoffish NE culture. We are really hoping for a more lively & community oriented area for out next move.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:08 AM

Random question... Are these areas dog friendly also?? Restrictions of types of dogs, number, leash laws? Dog Parks?

Old 07-21-2012, 10:38 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
Quote:

I looks like the jobs could be in Wayne or Totowa, NJ... Any incite on what the commute(s) from Montclair area might look like?

The drive from Montclair to Wayne would be OK. It's about 10 miles but will take 20 mins or so.

Add me to the list of people who think Montclair is perfect....about a million times better for you than Wayne or Totowa.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:16 PM

291 posts, read 977,096 times
Quote:

As Obrero said above, Montclair would not be a bad commute to either Totowa or Wayne. A bit longer to Wayne (I think the above estimate of 20 minutes is fair, though Wayne is large, so it would depend on where in Wayne), but it would be a sort of reverse commute (you'd be going west while most traffic is heading east toward NYC), so it shouldn't be awful during rush hour.

Montclair has various transit options into NYC--there are multiple train stations right in town, and a bunch of bus stops. It's actually a popular choice of location for NYC commuters because of its city access. Direct trains take about 50 minutes or so to Penn Station in NYC. Driving is about 30 minutes without major traffic--traffic is the big X factor when driving into NYC, though, so it would vary drastically based on the day and time of travel.

Easy access to the city is a great perk and it's fun to visit regularly, but if you work in NJ, Montclair itself has tons to do, so you'd be able to keep busy there for the day to day without a problem. It has a vibrant downtown with tons of shops, restaurants, bars, art galleries, etc. Tons of things for kids to do, too, both in terms of organized activities like sports, and also classes (play gym, music, art), and several playgrounds. There is also an art museum in town, as well as a movie theater (that has both mainstream and more art house movies), and a bunch of historical stuff, as well.

There's also a YMCA in town that has lots for both adults and kids, in terms of fitness, classes, and the like. There are also things like dodgeball leagues (a friend who lives there played in one last fall and loved it), fencing clubs, and tons of different things--really, a little bit of just about everything.

Here's the town's website. It's not great, but has some info:

http://www.montclairnjusa.org/

There's also a university (Montclair State University) in town. FWIW, it has a fairly active and visible LGBT Center, which holds various activities, too:

http://www.montclair.edu/lgbt/

Montclair really isn't just a suburb of NYC--it truly has its own personality, IMO. It's a very cool place--you should definitely try to plan a visit there if your job search becomes more certainly headed in that direction!

Quote:
Random question... Are these areas dog friendly also?? Restrictions of types of dogs, number, leash laws? Dog Parks?
Yes, I'd say most of NJ is quite dog friendly, or at least not anti-dog! We know 2 families who live in Montclair and have dogs, and they've never had a problem. There is a dog park in Montclair called Brookdale Park. Leash laws are the norm all over NJ. Most towns have laws that prohibit having a crazy number of dogs, but you should have no problem having a dog or 2 (or 3) if you buy a house. If you rent first, or buy a condo/townhome, it might be a bit more challenging to find a dog-friendly place, but they're out there.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:01 PM

91 posts, read 375,963 times
There's also a train station in Wayne, I believe, that you can take to and from Montclair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey